Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on Telus Sat for about 8 months now ... and my bill increased by over $6 this month. I called and the best the guy in the Phillipines could tell me is that everyone's bill increased. Basically, he told me that they can increase the bill whenever they want and my agreement is to keep paying. Honestly, it's not about the six bucks ... just an attitude on their part which really ticks me off!

I asked to transfer to the cancellation dept. But, they don't seem to work on Sundays. I'll be calling again tomorrow. Can I expect a retention offer?

Shaw-Direct has what looks like a very good BC-only offer right now. A PVR 630 for $199, a $100 install rebate and special "stick it to Telus" package for $43. Comments on this one?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you have only been with Telus Sat for 8 months, the first thing you should check is the Early Termination Fee because I am pretty sure you are likely to be tied into a 2 year contract.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'll be having a very pointed discussion with the cancellation dept. Seems that I most likely do have some kind of contract (even though I didn't sign anything) and it appears that the terms of the contract are that I have to pay and they can increase the rate at will. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think that would be construed as being legal.

What makes me angry is the way these big company's support folk think they can lie to customers. The guy told me that I'd gotten a letter from Telus advising me of the increase and that it (the increase to theme pack pricing) had be approved by the CRTC. No, I didn't get a letter ... and I don't think the CRTC is consulted on theme pack pricing.

I'll let you know what the nice folks at Telus tell me tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Did the Tech get you to sign a small hand-held device at the time of installation.?

That is called a DART (God knows what it stands for), they now use those for customers to sign, but sometimes'forget' to tell the customer that this is in fact the electronic version of the contract.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope.

I was very careful to NOT sign anything. Not that I don't trust these guys ... and I was surprised that I'd not been asked to sign anything. The guy in the Philippines this morning kept insisting that there was a verbal contract. That was after I asked for a copy of the contract I knew I'd not signed.

Interesting way to do business, don't you think!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, finally talked to "loyalty" today. Seems that the increase on my bill is $4 on the themes ... not so bad, but the bill had a partial month tacked on as well. Nice business to be in ... I wish I could add a few bucks to last month's invoice for services I rendered.

As far as my contract goes they confirmed that's it's verbal, but I'm committed to 3 years and subject to and ETF if I cancel. That's due to the fact that I'm renting my receiver. And, yes, they can increase the bill when they want.

But, 'cause I'm such a PITA, I got a $25 credit applied to the account.

Not the greatest outcome ... but I'm not in the mood to argue too much.

A bit of advise to others: If you call Telus, ask the CS if they are in Canada. If not, ask to be transferred. You'll get better service from the local guys/gals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts