Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
A lot of the discussion im hearing is they will censor your content on social media platforms, like face book, twitter, instagram? what if its a website you own, your own domain? are you excempt from the censorship? my guess is yes but no one goes to websites anymore for information they flock to social media like the facebooks, instagrams and twitters, im curious to see how this plays out. Look at the former US Pres, he is banned from all kinds of platforms, but I heard he is making his own platform to express his opinions however no one can see it unless they join his platform and not many people want to be part of "more" social networks, i think having more than the big 3 is pushing it right now,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, you’ll probably need to host your website on servers outside Canada and risk having the IP banned. Just like China’s Great Firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The only protection on social media and other web sites is provided to the owner of the web site against posts made by third parties. The person making the posts is responsible for the content regardless of who owns the web site. Starting your own web site to incite violence or violation of the law to prevent being banned is just dumb. Censorship by repressive regimes aside, someone who has been banned on multiple sites is obviously doing something offensive or illegal.
Look at the former US Pres,..
Case in point.

I've got to wonder how much of the talk about censorship is just rhetoric from right wing posters that want to incite feelings against the new law for political purposes. I take anything on social media with a grain of salt since the motives of the posters are often unknown. That also goes for some newspapers and broadcasters. The people behind the posts are sometimes using fake accounts created to hide their motives and influence people in negative ways. They know that most people will not read bill C-10 in order to form their own opinion and will believe what they read on social media. I'm not saying that bill C-10 is all good but it requires more analysis that reading a few social media posts.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Paying more for less choice. I don't think C-10 has entered general public discussion yet but the government is in for a rude shock if they're buying whatever rent-charging organizations are selling.
This is why I'm so opposed to this. This isn't going to change anything about viewing habits it's simply allowing Bell and Rogers and others to be Canadian Gatekeepers for Foreign content and for the Canadian consumer to pay handsomely for this pleasure. I don't have an issue with sales taxes being charged. I don't even have a major issue with some form of payment for Canadian content production (although 30% is ridiculous but something around 10% I feel could be fair) based on content in English or French. Bill C-10 should exempt Non-English or French services from production fees as well as non-fiction or reality content (How can you make a sports or news service pay for Canadian content as it makes zero sense to expect a service like the BBC or CNN making Canadian shows) and should ban the change of algorithm's for Canadian content. If I'm paying for Disney+ I want the real thing not a watered down Canadian version. Same for any other services. This whole thing is ridiculous and will not make it through the courts if it goes through so the Liberals should stop wasting everyone's time by giving Bell, Rogers, Entandem and the other artsy losers trying to push this through to enrich themselves at the consumers expense. This will look like the Cell phone stuff where in a few years when consumers are complaining about Netflix being $30 a month the government will have to strip this down anyway.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
This whole thing is ridiculous and will not make it through the courts if it goes through
What law can strike it down? Geist is usually quick to point out flaws in bills and I haven't seen anything from him suggesting C-10 is illegal.

·
Registered
273 Posts
There is the obvious relating to social media as the bill stands now. I also believe that there will be other appeals related to net neutrality and the ability for ISP's to block sites that they believe are pirated content when there is no process to determine this and it will cause major issues long term.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
If I'm paying for Disney+ I want the real thing not a watered down Canadian version.
Disney+ may be a skewed example due to their large amount of original content but we're already getting watered down versions of most streaming services and Canadians are paying whether they subscribe or not. Most streaming services are a shadow of the versions in other countries due to their parent companies selling the rights for most of their programming worth viewing to Canadian broadcasters. That's being leveraged by Canadian companies through overpriced cable TV packages.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
1) Net neutrality is not a constitutional right so the government can easily say that the provisions of this bill supersede any regulations involving net neutrality.
2) It can be argued (and has been in the U.S.) that ISPs have a free speech right to block whatever websites they want to. Be a very interesting can of worms to open up here.

The government has asked for a Charter analysis of the bill to see if there are any constitutional free speech issues. If the analysis gives the all clear, don't get your hopes up for courts striking down the enacted regulations.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This story/opinion have me pause:

In a world where borders are increasingly blurred by the internet, if our nation is indeed as unique as we are proud of it to be, a bit of protectionism in the form of legislated self promotion may not be such a terrible thing.

If that crosses the line to censorship of speech, you’ll have a whole other fight from me on their hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Let's face it. The days of open internet are an outlier in world history. I expect the internet will become more regulated and restricted in the near future as criminals and nations seek to weaponize it and others seek to protect themselves and their countries' interests. China has been restricting internet traffic for years and I expect other large countries will follow. The US, in particular, has been exploited by international hackers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Will they ban / make illegal the use of a VPN next? There is still some legit use of a VPN. Like people that have to work from home and log on to a workplace computer. Maybe they make it so the VPN can only log onto a Canadian server?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
This, I don't mind. I see no reason why Netflix should be treated any different from any other service we pay tax on.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I received a notice that GST will be added to Netflix starting on July 1. Happy Canada Day everyone.
Me too last week, It was bad enough that Crave charge taxes... My Netflix is already pre-paid (gift card) until late august, I wonder how it will be affected. Hope Disney+ don't start charging taxes, it's my favorite service of the 3 I'm subscribed to. Also how about Amazon Prime Video, do they charge taxes?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So who is paying the GST. Certainly not Netflix. So what is the point of another tax grab on the tax payers?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
The point is that the government needs more money to fund things like COVID-19 relief and healthcare. As it stands, Netflix does not currently collect and submit GST, HST and provincial sales taxes but Canadians who purchase Netflix still owe the tax. The only real difference is that Netflix will start collecting the GST instead of leaving it up to their Canadian customers who rarely submit the money voluntarily. The policy of not collecting GST from foreign businesses is pragmatic since the government cannot force them to do so and chasing Canadians for small foreign purchases is not practical. Netflix has a big enough presence in Canada that making it collect and submit GST is a big win financially and appeases Canadian broadcasters who are whining about unfair competition.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Also how about Amazon Prime Video, do they charge taxes?
Yes, they collect/submit taxes on the Prime membership and on any paid movie rentals, channel subscriptions etc.

Sold By: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.
GST/HST - 85730 5932 RT0001
QST - 1201187016 TQ0001

Netflix users won't be the only ones seeing GST or HST in their monthly charges as the higher taxes will affect all international streaming services available in Canada.
The move comes after Ottawa unveiled plans last year to require foreign multinationals to collect GST or HST on digital products and services, something they said was fair since Canadian companies were already required to do so.
Netflix tells subscribers their monthly bills will include GST/HST on Canada Day | CTV News

41 - 60 of 74 Posts