Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
que3jxp you leave out every one of them parasite companies owe their very existance to us, the taxpayer. They were granted monopolies with guaranteed rates of return and massive tax breaks for all the infrastructure built. Now they hold us hostage with ever greater extortion on the rates charged, increasing on a at least yearly basis.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
que3jxp you leave out every one of them parasite companies owe their very existance to us, the taxpayer. They were granted monopolies with guaranteed rates of return and massive tax breaks for all the infrastructure built. Now they hold us hostage with ever greater extortion on the rates charged, increasing on a at least yearly basis.
Well, they only really became parasites because of the cronyism enabled by either the weak or the corruptible in government. All more examples of why we should always be governed as little as possible.

The first thing we need to do is stop the constant encroachment of government and crony capitalism. From there, we have to find some way to unwind all the existing nonsense with as little negative impact as possible. And make no mistake, there will be short term pains to back some of this out. This is a long game issue. Corporations play this as a long game and will keep on winning because of it. Politicians and the electorate either play short term or not at all. We have to put our collective foot down or nothing changes for the better.

I have put my money and my actions where my mouth is on this and many other issues that matter and I will continue to. Whether that is always looking for the least expensive tolerable alternatives or simply going without where possible. We haven't paid for traditional TV for about 15 years now and will never start back up again. Period.

·
Registered
108 Posts
As have I, I pay for my internet connection that is all for the last 10 years or so, never have went with the main cell phone carriers it has always been a cheapest pay as you go option. They get nothing more than absolutely the minimum I have to spend with any of them, I am too damn cheap. Good luck with the quest of separating the cronies it has not worked in centuries, I fail to see it working anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Good luck with the quest of separating the cronies it has not worked in centuries, I fail to see it working anytime soon.
Well, if at least our attempts slow down the slide to destruction, we can rest content that we didn't just watch it go all to "Halifax" and claim that we are righteous.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well get your billions in the line and do the bribing, that is the only way change happens in this world. Unless you have the revolution and the guillotines in place. Then that last one only works long enough for them to get it going again, it has been repeated countless times.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This discussion it getting dangerously close to political discussion but it was probably summed up best by the Who 50 years ago.
"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss" - Won't Get Fooled Again, Pete Townshend, 1971

The mathematics could be expressed as: Politics + Money = Corrupt Democracy

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
This discussion it getting dangerously close to political discussion but it was probably summed up best by the Who 50 years ago.
Agreed.

I'll just close off by saying that as hard as we try, the only thing we can do is delay the inevitable. It is actually mathematical that everything devolves to a monopoly and then gets reset by some kind of event. Rinse and repeat, over and over again. Same game, different players.

·
Super Moderator
4,498 Posts
With the increase in cord cutters and kids [future viewers] spending more time watching YouTube and Tiktok videos in lieu of conventional TV, I think this is 30 years too late.
It is like the government is trying to be woke on the vinyl record industry where you buy one album from one artist for $20, while the world has switched to unlimited listening to the music of their choice on Spotify for $10 per month.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think they already got to Spotify. I get way too much Cancon in the playlists. I ban much of it but it just pops up somewhere else. As a result, I switched to a service that lets me ban artists or songs across all playlists. That's much better.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Maybe I should have put a sarcasm smiley on that comment. It's more likely that Spotify just highlights Canadian content on Canadian based accounts. I hated the fact that the same few Canadian songs kept popping up in Spotify created playlists. I also really dislike their playlist algorithms in general. That's the main reason I switched. BTW, I switched to Tidal, in part due to their better audio quality and in part due to their more ethical treatment of artists.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe I should have put a sarcasm smiley on that comment. It's more likely that Spotify just highlights Canadian content on Canadian based accounts. I hated the fact that the same few Canadian songs kept popping up in Spotify created playlists. I also really dislike their playlist algorithms in general. That's the main reason I switched. BTW, I switched to Tidal, in part due to their better audio quality and in part due to their more ethical treatment of artists.
i always avoided those playlists. always search for the artists I like. Playlists will only have 1 or 2 good songs with a lot of filler.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They also are going to have major issues with ethnic content streamers. Pretty much every community has a streaming service to provide broadcasts and programming from their home countries. How would they even police that? I did read somewhere that there needs to be a minimum amount of revenue for these companies in C-10 so would that mean as long as they don't get too popular they aren't subject to these rules?

This whole thing is ridiculous and needs to be killed as they're just trying to help Bell and Rogers line their pockets by making the internet as close to cable as possible. I get the whole making Netflix and Spotify pay sales tax but after that this needs to stop!
If the sales tax collected from Netflix went to pay for canadian content it would be ok. Netflix already made a deal to spend over $500 million on content in Canada to be exempt from sales tax. If you search for Canada on Netflix, you get lots of Canadian shows.

·
Registered
218 Posts
With the increase in cord cutters and kids [future viewers] spending more time watching YouTube and Tiktok videos in lieu of conventional TV, I think this is 30 years too late.
It is like the government is trying to be woke on the vinyl record industry where you buy one album from one artist for $20, while the world has switched to unlimited listening to the music of their choice on Spotify for $10 per month.
Exactly, 30 years too late and trying to appear “woke” to realities.
To me, this is proof that we give our elected officials entirely too much credit, responsibility, power and latitude. This is as much our fault as theirs. We need to look further ahead to make better plans than simply react by “creating jobs now.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If you search for Canada on Netflix, you get lots of Canadian shows.
Lack of regulation isn't hurting Canadian artists. A similar situation exists with shows made in Canada for network and specialty stations in the US. A lot of them are made in Toronto or Vancouver and a few in other places. CBS is building a studio near Toronto so it's not going away either. More shows made in Canada make would count as Canadian content if it weren't for overly strict rules that disqualify them due to using US producers, directors, or popular US actors in leading roles.

Once again, the focus of CRTC regulations seems to be narrowly focused on the successful and rich in the Canadian entertainment industry. It's not so much about culture as it is about protecting rich political donors. If it was about protecting Canadian culture, they would be focusing on the loss of independent broadcasters and cutbacks at the CBC, both of whom traditionally produced most Canadian content and have seen their programming budgets gutted.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Most of the discussion about Bill C-10 im hearing is about canadian rules and content, however There is a huge discussion about the Censorship of canadians if this were to go thru however im not hearing so much discussion about it on here, I get that the post on here is trying to make it non political. we can still have non political discussions about freedom of speech as long as we stay within certain guidelines. I personally do not want to see my right to freedom of expression blocked, hope everyone else can say the same about this

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
The main issues I'm seeing raised is that the bill is too vague and a clause protecting individual rights has been removed. That appears to give the CRTC too much latitude in interpreting the scope and terms of the bill. We could end up like the US where things like net neutrality (which the overwhelming majority want) are implemented by one chairman and then reversed by the next. CRTC members are appointees who are unaccountable to nobody but the politicians who appoint them and are often influenced by industry lobbyists.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Most of the discussion about Bill C-10 im hearing is about canadian rules and content, however There is a huge discussion about the Censorship of canadians if this were to go thru however im not hearing so much discussion about it on here, I get that the post on here is trying to make it non political. we can still have non political discussions about freedom of speech as long as we stay within certain guidelines. I personally do not want to see my right to freedom of expression blocked, hope everyone else can say the same about this
Someone doesn’t want to have to do battle/discuss their perspectives in cyberspace, it seems. It’s interesting how this bill with those rights of expression curtailed is coming right in the middle of the political cycle, between the last election and before the next, isnt it, comrade tovarish?
Ok seriously - narrative control can be mitigated by private tweets - only your followers can see what you say. That’s an outmanoeuvre…but further tribalization is of greater concern to me: They’re dividing and conquering us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The reason we should be concerned by appointed bureaucrats interpreting vague laws are things like this:

21 - 40 of 74 Posts