1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
40 Posts
Broadcasting policy and regulation a has always been more about pandering to an industry that has a powerful lobbying presence seeing as how it is the media. The industry has dressed itself up as champions of Canadian culture so as to disguise its self-interest as the public interest. There is little political will to stand up to these bloodsucking parasites. The whole corrupt scheme should be scrapped.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the CRTC is going to force BritBox to show Canada content then it will not be worth watching anymore. Britbox is BBC and ITV tv shows. The CRTC already ruined BBC Canada. This is why so many bet a VPN and watch BBC on their own website. CRTC can't touch foreign websites.

Unnecessary Quote Removed by 57.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Seeing as Britbox is a streaming service and the user selects which program to watch, forcing them to carry Canadian content although feasible would not work as the user is control of what is watch not the streamer.

·
Registered
273 Posts
They also are going to have major issues with ethnic content streamers. Pretty much every community has a streaming service to provide broadcasts and programming from their home countries. How would they even police that? I did read somewhere that there needs to be a minimum amount of revenue for these companies in C-10 so would that mean as long as they don't get too popular they aren't subject to these rules?

This whole thing is ridiculous and needs to be killed as they're just trying to help Bell and Rogers line their pockets by making the internet as close to cable as possible. I get the whole making Netflix and Spotify pay sales tax but after that this needs to stop!

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Using taxes and surcharges to subsidize Canadian companies and workers for unproven damages is ridiculous. The broadcasting and music industries are the worst for claiming inflated and unsubstantiated damages and then lobbying the government to tax Canadians for their own industries' failings. The worst of it is that it tends to line the pockets of rich companies and individuals that don't need the extra revenue. I'm tired of paying fees and taxes that subsidize businesses and products that I don't like or want. If the "Canadian culture industry" has a problem, it needs to address it by providing services and products that Canadians and citizens of other countries want. The industry also needs to pay artists fairly so that they don't need government subsidies.

Tax surcharges for Netflix is a non-starter. They already produce lots of content in Canada, create employment for Canadians and tax revenue for Canada. Making it more expensive to operate in Canada will just drive production to other countries, some of which will pay money for Netflix to move operation there. The fact that so many foreign and international broadcasters make successful programming in Canada just indicates that the issue is with Canadian businesses, not Canadians themselves. There is a taxation issue with large corporations but it needs to be resolved through international cooperation and elimination of tax avoidance, not by special taxes and fees to subsidize individual industries.

I can see where the foreign content restrictions are going. Canadian companies have a long history of charging ridiculously inflated prices for foreign services and content, some of which can be received or streamed far cheaper for free. Restrictions will just make affordable foreign programming options unavailable for many and pad the bottom line for rich Canadian companies and their rich shareholders.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
My father was a federal government civil servant for almost 40 years. The stories he has told me and the wastefulness and foolishness... There is almost nothing regulated that actually benefits Canadians. (Criminality or food safety issues not withstanding, not what I mean)
  • Airlines
  • Telephone
  • Cellular
  • Internet
  • RADIO
  • Music
  • TV
In basically every way, all of these have been made worse either by way of lack of access to content or far higher prices than most of the rest of the world.

This new push against content on the internet means that all these interesting people on YouTube and elsewhere, they are not Canadian so, what? There will be some insane consumption requirement? I have to watch Canadian content for a while before the non-Canadian content is then visible to me? And any big company like Google is going to actually want to be bothered to accommodate little old Canada??? Insanity.

As far as I am concerned, the CRTC and Heritage Canada needs to either be pared WAY back or just straight up eliminated. This is not 1972, otherwise, I demand some REALLY good Vignettes for all my taxes.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This looks like it may go down the same road as satellite TV. It started out with a government promise to not regulate it. Then Bell got into the broadcast satellite business and Canadians who subscribed to US satellite were quickly criminalized overnight. Bell's product was vastly inferior to the US ones but penalizing otherwise law abiding citizens benefited Canadian broadcasters, especially Bell owned subsidiaries. It's bad enough that the big studios use copyrights to gouge Canadians, the broadcasting act adds more injury by denying competition, artificially supporting a Canadian industry with inflated prices and adding punitive taxes to the mix.

Broadcasting is one of a very small number of industries for which countries can enact protectionist laws and policies. I saw job after job disappear as US companies bought out Canadian companies and shut down Canadian operations after protectionism was eliminated in most other sectors in the 1980s. Meanwhile, most Canadians received little support as they lost their jobs but were subjected to tax after tax enacted to support the Canadian broadcasting and music industries. No matter how badly the manage their businesses and despite often delivering inferiors products, the Canadian broadcasting and music industries seem to think they are entitled to make a huge profit at the expense of Canadian taxpayers.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Broadcasting policy and regulation a has always been more about pandering to an industry that has a powerful lobbying presence seeing as how it is the media. The industry has dressed itself up as champions of Canadian culture so as to disguise its self-interest as the public interest. There is little political will to stand up to these bloodsucking parasites. The whole corrupt scheme should be scrapped.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
On the other hand, without the CRTC, would we have ‘Schitt’s Creek’? ‘King of Kensington’? ‘Littlest Hobo’? ‘Corner Gas’? etc. The scale moves in two directions. Without the CRTC, there would likely be ‘Hockey Night In Canada’ as the ONLY truly, CDN program. As someone who spent 20 years in the CDN tv industry, our production, post and broadcast industry is indeed reliant on ‘being CDN’. Other than the way they mishandled TiVo (cable cards should have been mandated in Canada the same way they were in the U.S., by the FCC), the CRTC walks a fine line which mostly benefits all Canadians, and that includes CDN corporations. Duh.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
On the other hand, without the CRTC, would we have ‘Schitt’s Creek’? ‘King of Kensington’? ‘Littlest Hobo’? ‘Corner Gas’? etc. The scale moves in two directions. Without the CRTC, there would likely be ‘Hockey Night In Canada’ as the ONLY truly, CDN program. As someone who spent 20 years in the CDN tv industry, our production, post and broadcast industry is indeed reliant on ‘being CDN’. Other than the way they mishandled TiVo (cable cards should have been mandated in Canada the same way they were in the U.S., by the FCC), the CRTC walks a fine line which mostly benefits all Canadians, and that includes CDN corporations. Duh.
Sorry but four shows, and really only one of them is internationally successful, is not proof that Canadians should have been, at large, on the hook for all that they have paid.

I get what you are saying about Canadian jobs in the TV and radio industry but at what cost? A "protected" job is simply a job subsidized by the greater Canadian population. Protectionism in Canada has almost always been sold HARD as a benefit to all Canadians and that it will save us money. For a great case study in such claims, I give you the Iltis "Jeep". Made here instead of just purchased from Germany and at at LEAST twice the cost to Canadian taxpayers as having just simply bought them from Germany.

So ya, I get that there would be job losses or never existed ones to some degree or another if we didn't have some of the restrictions in place. Also, we would have a lot of Canadians being able to more reasonably afford a lot of things too. And frankly, if we can't compete in a particular industry, then either innovate or find something else to try to be the best at. All this protection in Canada has done is effectively make for some SERIOUSLY lazy companies. They know they don't have to try nearly as hard as they don't have to deal with international competition. Every single one of us that loathes having to pay ROBELUS all know this too well.

So the LAST thing we need now is MORE government.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having watched TV before the CRTC was created and after, I can say that there was at least as much good Canadian programming before it was created as after. Much of it was created by the CBC. What followed after the CRTC was created was a profusion of very profitable national Canadian broadcasters that were supported by programming purchased from US networks. That was followed by market shifts and industry mismanagement which destroyed much of the profitability of the industry. CTV, in particular, profited from the decline of the Canadian broadcasting industry and managed to convince the CRTC to enact policies that were favourable to itself. The way satellite TV was launched in Canada was especially damaging to local broadcasters. What we were left with was an industry designed to serve a handful of Canadian cities at the expense of the rest of Canadians. It's no surprise that The Canadian government has chosen to regulate the internet streaming entertainment industry. It will benefits Bell's Crave service, yet another inferior purveyor of foreign made programming, at the expense of Canadians.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Sorry but four shows, and really only one of them is internationally successful, is not proof that Canadians should have been, at large, on the hook for all that they have paid.

I get what you are saying about Canadian jobs in the TV and radio industry but at what cost? A "protected" job is simply a job subsidized by the greater Canadian population. Protectionism in Canada has almost always been sold HARD as a benefit to all Canadians and that it will save us money. For a great case study in such claims, I give you the Iltis "Jeep". Made here instead of just purchased from Germany and at at LEAST twice the cost to Canadian taxpayers as having just simply bought them from Germany.

So ya, I get that there would be job losses or never existed ones to some degree or another if we didn't have some of the restrictions in place. Also, we would have a lot of Canadians being able to more reasonably afford a lot of things too. And frankly, if we can't compete in a particular industry, then either innovate or find something else to try to be the best at. All this protection in Canada has done is effectively make for some SERIOUSLY lazy companies. They know they don't have to try nearly as hard as they don't have to deal with international competition. Every single one of us that loathes having to pay ROBELUS all know this too well.

So the LAST thing we need now is MORE government.
On the hook for what Canadians have paid? Sorry, how much do you think you “pay” every year?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
On the hook for what Canadians have paid? Sorry, how much do you think you “pay” every year?
We pay taxes that fund the CBC.
We pay taxes that fund an entire branch of government that seeks to "force" heritage on us. (How many people work for Steven Guilbeault ?)
We pay more for services that are far less expensive in almost every single first world nation: As an example, when we moved from Bell to Eastlink (Which is still not as cheap as in most other nations), we saved almost $100 a month. If I back math that for all the time my wife and I both have had smartphones, that is an overpayment of at least $10,000... On only one service...

Do I need to list a few more examples?

I have relatives and friends that live in various diverse parts of the US and they pay HALF of what we do for basically any of their various telecom services. So when you dismiss my reference by asking what I "Pay", if you don't want your money, you can surely give it to me.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts