Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 91 lines are feeding a passive multi switch, 2 in and 4 out. 2 of those outs go to a 3100 and 3100 the other 2 outs go to my SW44 which also has 2 lines coming from my 82 lnb. i then have 2 PVR's 5900 and a 6100 HD coming out of the SW44. All works fine. Still room for one more receiver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is my Sw21 broken?

My sw21 is keeping give me problem. I had original one with Bev last year and after a while (7 months) I can only get odd for 91. I then bought another one sw21 and used it untill last week when I did switch check only gave 91 odd and 82 odd. I can get each 91 or 82 full (even and odd ) if I just connect one. I am wondering if this means my sw21 is broken. I have to change sw21 twice a year (cost me $20 each). Is that normal (I am living in cold area Montreal) and how could I test it? Is any good quality sw21 on the market? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Confirm my plan to split signal?

Hi all,
I've spent about an hour going through the archives here, and this topic has been well covered. I'd just like to offer up what I plan to do, and get a confirmation that it'll work:

I have (and sorry I don't have exact model numbers here),

From a dual LNB/ dual output dish:
The first two outputs from the 91 & 82 sats go to a SW21 switch in the basement, which then outs to my HD receiver. Yay, all is good and I don't want to touch this part.

The second line comes from the second LNB (picking up the non-HD sat....92?) and goes directly to the (non-HD) receiver in the bedroom. This is want to share with my old receiver (also non-HD) that is kicking around.

Everything I find says I can do this with a SW21 switch, but doesn't that switch 2 LNBs to one receiver?

What am I missing? Can this be done for under $40. I see how a SW44 switch would do it, but that kinda overkill (I need to add one receiver, not several), and it's quite costly.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Cheapest way to do this is 2 lines from 91 into a cheap multiswitch, 1 line from 82 by-passes the multiswitch and goes into an sw21, one line from output of multiswitch into the sw21, this then goes to your hd, now 2 more lines out of the multiswitch each going to the non-hd receivers.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Splitting Signal??

How would I be able to split one line coming into my house from the outside to a 4100 receiver and an HD receiver?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
markb, does your dish have a single LNB with a single output? Is it a single LNB with 2 outputs but one not being used, or maybe a single LNB with 2 outputs being used but only one going into your house? Need the info...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Not sure how many lines can be run off of the lnb. I know right now all I have is a 4100 receiver hooked up to 91 and no lnb for 82. I plan on installing the lnb for 82, which would require running off of the switch, so it will have capability for two lines coming in. However, I do not want to spend the money on a long cable to be able to run it into my house. I just want to use the existing cable that runs in and possibly split it to two receivers, a 6100 and 4100.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
RumMunkey said:
From a dual LNB/ dual output dish:
The first two outputs from the 91 & 82 sats go to a SW21 switch in the basement, which then outs to my HD receiver. Yay, all is good and I don't want to touch this part.

The second line comes from the second LNB (picking up the non-HD sat....92?) and goes directly to the (non-HD) receiver in the bedroom.
This will work fine for two receivers. You can mount the SW21 at the dish and save running an extra cable into the house. For more than two receivers you will need a SW44.

Don't use cheap, unpowered 4 way switches with dual sat. They may work with some receivers but can cause problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Questions about the Bell signal.

I am currently using Shaw's basic analog signal, but may want to move up to Expressview HD and, if possible, improve the SD signal to my Sony recorder. I would buy the HD PVR for my HD programming and use a basic line for my Sony recorder (with hard drive) for extra HD space. Bell's SD channels are digital. Will I see much improvement on my Sony recorder with a Bell digital SD signal compared to the Shaw analog signal?

If there are there are any Victoria, BC, Bell subscribers reading this, how is the signal? I was told by a Shaw employee that the rainy, windy, winter weather, can really mess up the reception with Expressview. Is this true?

·
Banned
321 Posts
Well I live in North Vancouver, BC & I have a 9200 HD PVR & a Panasonic DVD Recorder with a 160 GB HD. I do the same thing I use the 9200 Hard Drive for my HD programming & my DVD Hard Drive for SD programming.

I also have BOTH Shaw/BEV running on the same tv & I can tell you the BEV picture is 1000x better then the shaw picture. I have Shaw Cable on tv mode, Xbox 360 on Video1, PS2 on Video2 & BEV on color stream. Some people complain that some BEV channels are to compressed but i like it that way. It always rains in BC but i rarley have any problems. Sometimes SOME(not all) channels go down for 5-7 min's(rarley) but then i just switch to shaw cable:p

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'll agree with Ringmaster. I also live on the west coast and if you are having any weather difficulties, I've found any reception problems can be cleared up by using two satellite dishes.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Living up-Island a bit from Victoria, I concur - no huge issues with rain fade here. Only time I've lost signal since going to two dishes is in heavy snow....and even then, knocking the snow off the LNBs fixed it right away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What do you mean "two dishes"?

I assumed that if I bought the Bell packeage that has four boxes for four TVs (one being the PVR) that there would anly be one dish. Am I wrong?

So the Bell SD signal is superior to the Shaw SD. That's interesting.

Ringmaster: I don't want to pay for both Bell and Shaw. I'll stick with one or the other. On another issue, I recently found out that some Shaw programming coming through a Shaw box can be protected from being recorded on a box like your Panasonic recorder. You get a "can not record" signal. This likely doesn't occur when you are just recording straight from the cable in analogue (no Shaw box). My concern is that if I get Bell Expressview with it's digital signal some of the SD programming will be protected. Have you ever seen this?

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Vic

You can connect up to four receivers with one dish. (the dual tuner models count as two). You should get whats called a multi switch that splits the signal in two. As far as recording, there are no restrictions to stop recording of your programs. I have even recorded PPV movies on my Panasonic DVD recorder. The only issue you might have is when/if you try to dub that recording to another DVD/VHS recorder.

Enjoy

·
Registered
268 Posts
Victroian said:
If there are there are any Victoria, BC, Bell subscribers reading this, how is the signal? I was told by a Shaw employee that the rainy, windy, winter weather, can really mess up the reception with Expressview. Is this true?
I live just south east of Vancouver. I had quite a few rain outs with the 18" dish.
I complained a few times to Bell and finally they offered to send me a 24" dish
free but I would have to install it. What a difference that made!!! Signal
strength went up on some transponders to 98%-99% while the lowest signal
strength I see is 79%.

When I go to HDTV I will buy a 30" dish for the HDTV satellite and keep the 24" for the SD sat.

FaxCap

·
Registered
682 Posts
bellguy said:
Vic

You can connect up to four receivers with one dish. (the dual tuner models count as two). You should get whats called a multi switch that splits the signal in two. As far as recording, there are no restrictions to stop recording of your programs. I have even recorded PPV movies on my Panasonic DVD recorder. The only issue you might have is when/if you try to dub that recording to another DVD/VHS recorder.

Enjoy
Actually, you can have 8 connections with 1 Dish... I do it wish 2 SW44 switches and 4 HF splitters.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Could you post how to do this please...or if you'd rather e-mail the directions...it would be much apprecated, as I require five connections and only have four running at this time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's pretty easy to have more than 4 connections. I use what is called a DP34 multi-switch (this is used in the US by Dish Network) with inputs from both the 82 and 91 satellites (leaving one satellite input spare for future) and 4 output connections. If you need more than 4 outputs you install a second DP34 multi-switch as the satellite inputs are also fed through the multi-switch to 3 sat outputs which are then connected to the second DP34 sat inputs. Now you have a total of 8 output connections. You can add a third DP34 in this fashion for a total of 12 output connections. You also need to use a DP Twin or Quad LNB at the dish to provide the satellite inputs for the DP34.

This setup works although BEV does not support it. It works because BEV uses Dish hardware and it's compatible.

I use only 3 outputs now but am future proofed for additional outputs. The DP34 multi-switch can be purchased on Ebay for much less than what BEV is charging for their multi-switch. Same for the LNB.

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Multiswitchs, diplexers, I'm confused!!

Here is my scenario.
I am at a RV park on a seasonal site. My neighbour has BEV with 2 lnb. His buddy on another site is using his dish as well. He has kindly offered for me to hook into his dish as well. I plan on using my 3100 from home and bring out there.
Now, since there are 3 of us using the same dish I obviously need a multiswitch. In reading some of these scenarios, the issue of me getting channels through my antenna would require also the multiswitch and/or a diplexer. What would be the correct setup?

There is also the issue of boosting the power. Do I need to? I have minimal distance between the dish and my trailer.

I also take it that RG6 cable is to be used throughout.

Finally, would one of you fine people recommend a good multiswitch and or diplexer (if needed).

thanks, Armeee

81 - 100 of 137 Posts