Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
superduper said:
Are there splitters/switchers that will work after a SW21 so that I can make the split of one of my lines to feed one of my dual tuner inputs and my independent reciever input.
no you have to multiply the signal before the SW21 switches. you actually have to mutliply the signal as splitting doesn't work with satellite signals.

options:

#1 - get a SW44 switch that allows two satellites in and four receivers out (no need for SW21s anymore in this case)

#2 - you could add two 34 switches (one for each LNB) which that would effectively give you four outputs out of each LNB. Then you would connect your two existing SW21s to these 34 switches and still have two more outputs left (two for each satellite). Then you'd need an extra SW21 for your second receiver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are SW21's reversible?

I seem to have a similar situation and I'm trying to avoid the job-and-a-half it would be to run more RG-6 into my house. I have the BEV self-installed dual-sat, dual-LNB setup with 2, SW-21's at the dish and 2 cables coming into the house. I'm upgrading my 6000 to a 92X0 and so I got an SW-44 but I'm still stuck with just two cables coming in.

Is there any chance I can get two more SW-21's, and install them backwards in my two existing feed lines inside the house to get the 4 inputs for the SW-44?:confused:

For me, it is a heck of a lot easier than it will be to drill through 2, 10" block walls. BEV installation is not an option; no one touches wires in my house except me.

Thanks...

Chuck

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't think you can reverse the SW21. Check out the 9200 instalation thread in the 6100-9200 section. The first example might work for you, but read all of them.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
You can get DishPro equipment to do the job with 2 wires but that would be a big expense. 3/8" masonry drills are a lot cheaper and blocks are relatively soft. I would run two extra RG6s into the house to feed the SW44.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like I'll be biting the bullet

Yes, I see what you mean. It could be done, but at a cost and knowing how things work for me, some heretofore uinknown glitch will arrive and thwart my efforts.

So if I'm going to be drilling again for the sake of two more runs of RG-6, I may as well make bigger holes and put in 6 runs of RG-6 because next year I'll no doubt want another dual-tuner PVR and from my reading here, the easiest way will be to throw up another dish and another SW-44.

IWMHDTV & Interceptor, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Might I suggest you read through the 9200 installation 101 thread? http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26721

With only four RG6 lines from the dish, you can connect four, eight or even 12 receivers using a variety of methods. The thread details most of them. I don't think six wires from the dish is going to buy you anything.

-Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Chuck27 said:
So if I'm going to be drilling again for the sake of two more runs of RG-6, I may as well make bigger holes and put in 6 runs of RG-6 because next year I'll no doubt want another dual-tuner PVR and from my reading here, the easiest way will be to throw up another dish and another SW-44.
It would probably be the cheapest solution especially if you already have an extra dish and SW44 (or will get them included in the PVR box).

If you don't have room for another dish or just don't want more clutter on your roof, another solution would be to use a SW44A infront of the SW44 for a total of 8 outputs.

Check out this thread:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16557

·
Registered
6 Posts
What I think I will do, based on the great advice I'm getting here, is get an SW-44A and start off by running 2 more cables, and see if I can make everything work. Once it's doing what it's supposed to do, then I'll seal up the holes and batten everything down (in my neck of the woods, as it were, one does not leave holes into one's house open for any longer than necessary; you'd be surprised how small a hole a mouse or a squirrel or a coyote can fit through).

If it doesn't work, and what works for everyone else often does not work for me, then I'll run 4 more cables through the same holes, in anticipation of mounting another dish. It's not the drilling that I'm avoiding, it's my insistance on neat-and-tidy wiring that will take up the time. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, folks! Much appreciated!

Chuck

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good -- Multi Reciever Diagram

The SW21's a i see on ebay seem to be 2 IN and 1 OUT meaning say you have 4 RG6 coming into your house, 2 for 91 and 2 for 82. You would put 1 91 and 1 82 into an SW21 combining the 2 signals to one reciever.

Instead for some one who wants to run more than 4 receivers, is there an HF SW switch that has ONE input and 2 outputs. That way you would have 4 of these Sw's and 2 lines coming out of each, one going to 1 SW44 and 1 going to another sw44 allowing you to have capacity for 8 recivers.

The question IS. what are the (SW) 1 IN and 2 out switches called after the 4 RG6.

·
Registered
104 Posts
editor said:
The question IS. what are the (SW) 1 IN and 2 out switches called after the 4 RG6.
From what I've read on the forums, they're just ordinary high frequency splitters with DC pass thru on one output. Just make sure you run the outputs from each splitter to the same input number on each SW44.

·
Registered
104 Posts
An SW21 is a switch. The receiver sends a command to it to pick one of the two inputs. In the parallel SW44 configuration you need splitters between the LNBs and the SW44s so that each SW44 sees the same signal. Inputs 1a would see 92 even, 1b would see 92 odd, 2a would see 82 even and 2b would see 82 odd.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanx.

Someone suggested running out of one SW44 (1b and 2b) into another SW44. That way we could get 4 sd recivers on the second SW44 and run a HD 6100/6000 on the first SW44 out of the 1a and 2a. the 6000/6100 would have the power inserter on 1a

what do you think

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I managed to find an SW-44A for sale today in Burlington so I bought it, and hopefully within a couple of weeks I'll have everything working as it should. Those threads you guys pointed out were very helpful...thanks!

There's a guy in Edmonmton selling 100' rolls of RG-6 on Ebay for $5.79 CDN plus another $15 for shipping. Does he know something the rest of us don't, or have I been getting hosed on cable all these years? I'm going to wager the money and find out...:eek:

Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Chuck27 said:
There's a guy in Edmonmton selling 100' rolls of RG-6 on Ebay for $5.79 CDN plus another $15 for shipping. Does he know something the rest of us don't, or have I been getting hosed on cable all these years? I'm going to wager the money and find out...:eek:

Chuck
Is that a good deal? That's about 21¢ per foot; which is about what I paid for cable at Home Depot IIRC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought 200'....all in, it cost me $40.70 which seems like a not-bad deal. To be honest, I had not considered shopping for RG-6 at Home Depot, it was the $39.99 that Radio Shack (or whatever they are these days) charges for a 100' roll that I was using for a comparison.

Say, Ken, since you're in Calgary, if you needed 400' or so it would probably be worth the gas for a little jaunt up to Edmonton and save the freight...

:)

Chuck

·
Registered
253 Posts
VideoPath SW44 Switch

Just wondering if anyone here has one working? If so, what receivers are connected?

I have a 3100 and 6100 receiver currently connected to 2 SW21's. My spare 3100 has been sitting for months and want to set it up in the kitchen. I do have a Dish Pro Quad LNB, but too lazy to crawl up the ladder to change everything around outside right now.

I had a VideoPath before and it did not work for whatever reason. Tried changing the connectors around etc. I then picked up 2 x SW21's and they worked perfectly right from the start and ever since. I also had a Microyal SW44 that would not work either.

Also, is the SW44 BEV that BEV offers... a VideoPath? If ordered through BEV, do they charge you up front, or add it to your next monthly bill?

Thx.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The SW44 that came with my 9200 sat package is a Videopath, labeled for Dish Network.

I started with a 6100 system using a single SW21, then added another receiver with another SW21. When I got the 9200 system I removed the SW21 switches and replaced them with the SW44 - works perfectly.

Did you connect the power inserter in line with one of the receiver outputs?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep, I connected the Power Inserter, into the 1st receiver output I believe it was. Perhaps I just got a dud switch and/or PI, same with the Microyal. I will try another SW44 VideoPath. I prefer them, since they seem better made than the Microyal.

61 - 80 of 137 Posts