Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can It be done ? Splitting single feed coming from a SW21 to 2 IRD's

Hi everyone,

I have my BEV dish setup with dual LNB's and a SW21 (setup outside at the dish, by Bell) with a single cable coming into my living room. I have a spare 3120 IRD that I would like to hook up into our bedroom.

My question is, can it be done at all without running additional cables from my LNB's ? Im not sure if this could be achieved with a SW44 (kinda overkil for my purpose).

Thanks In Advance

AK

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
There is no such thing as "splitting" in the satellite world. If you were to attempt it, it would only work if both receivers were on the same transponder at the same time; which is pretty rare.

Get an SW44. It's not overkill, it just does exactly what somebody in you position needs it to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the response ken.

So if I understand correctly, my dish at its mount has two short cables going into a SW21 switch. From that SW21 I have one cable entering my home and into my living room feeding my 6100.

So I would disconnect the 6100 from that single line, plug that line into one of the satellite inputs on a SW44 switch. Then from that switch It will send off the signal back to my 6100 and to my additional 3100. Correct ???

I forgot to mention earlier that I do use the HD channels on my 6100. So with this setup in theory I could get all channels from both LNB's on both IRD's ???

It would be nice if it will get MuchLOUD and those addl music channels on the 3100 as well...

AK

·
Registered
846 Posts
So if I understand correctly, my dish at its mount has two short cables going into a SW21 switch. From that SW21 I have one cable entering my home and into my living room feeding my 6100.

So I would disconnect the 6100 from that single line, plug that line into one of the satellite inputs on a SW44 switch. Then from that switch It will send off the signal back to my 6100 and to my additional 3100. Correct ???
No, you wouldn't need the SW21 switch at the dish anymore. The SW44 has four satellite inputs, which take the two 82 inputs from one LNBF and the two 91 inputs from the other - this requires four cables from the dish to the switch. The switch can then supply four separate tuners - either four separate receivers or a combination of single tuner (e.g. 6100) and dual tuner (e.g. 9200) receivers.

I forgot to mention earlier that I do use the HD channels on my 6100. So with this setup in theory I could get all channels from both LNB's on both IRD's ???
You will be able to receive all the channels on both receivers, except for the HD channels - they require an HD receiver.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Alright, I figured it was too good to be true just using a SW44 on a single joint line inside the home to split the signal...

So either way I have to run another line into my home then...I don't plan to ever upgrade to more than 2 IRD's anyways so I was hoping to avoid having to run an extra line but alright, thats the way I gotta do it then! (Guess it will have to wait till summer, no way im climbing on my icy roof this winter :eek: )

Thanks West.

AK

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you're sure that you won't have a need for more than two single tuner IRDs, then you can just put another SW21 (you should be able to pick one up for 20.00 or so) out at the dish.

The cost is substantially less than the SW44, it doesn't require external power (the SW44 does) and you'll just need the single extra cable into the house (along with the two short leads from the dual LNBF's to the new switch).

However, if you do decide at some point to get a dual tuner IRD like the 9200, then you'll need the extra receiver capacity you would get from the SW44. The SW21 is a cheap way to get what you need now, though, and the the cable can be re-used if you decide to upgrade. Make sure you run RG6.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's true, I have a spare SW21 here, then I could simply use that, didn't think about that.

The thought of going to a 9200 is tempting, youre tempting me(wish I would of bought that one originally)...but I don't think ill be going to one anytime soon so since I have the spare SW21 currently, thats the way ill go then.

Thanks

AK

·
Registered
846 Posts
I hate to be the devil on your other shoulder here, but while you're waiting for your roof to thaw, you might want to give some more thought to that 9200 while you can still find them for sale.

I followed very close to the same route you did, and initially picked up a 6100 figuring I just wanted the HD and didn't need a PVR.

After a couple of months I couldn't resist having a look (I love a good gizmo) and picked up the 9200 kit. There's no going back now - the improved guide, the dual tuners and remotes, and the convenience of the PVR functions for both recording and live TV make this a whole new experience.

I will probably end up selling the 6100 as I'm completing some wiring changes to distribute the HD and SD signals from the 9200 throughout the house.

The 9200 is not inexpensive, but I think it's good value for what you're getting - including a complete new sat dish with the two dual LNB's, the SW44 switch you'll need, one each of RF and IR remotes, component and HDMI/DVI cables, etc.

You can even resell the redundant HD dish setup (along with your SW21's) to recoup some of the cost.

OK, I'll stop now ... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Believe me, I LOVE gadgets myself, when I bought my 6100 last summer, I almost bought a 9200 instead because of the LiveTV and recording capabilities but I wanted to get a standalone DVR as well so I figured, the 300$ im saving off the 9200 ill put towards my DVR, which I did...and good thing I did cause I payed 900$ for my DVR (over priced $ony, I know, but no other on the market at the time had all the features I was looking for, only the $ony did)...In the end, I miss out on the extra benefit of the 9200 but im not disapointed at all in my equipment choices. But trust me, ive thought about it ;)

For now ill stick with my 6100, but when I move in a few years, you betcha ill get the best equipment there will be at the time for my Home Theather room....right now its a Home Theater/Living Room :p ..Granted I just turned 24y/o and bought my first home last summer, ive got some people I know pretty envious of my setup even though its not up to par like some people here...(clear's throat..."57" :p ) But like he said, it takes time to acquire all the pieces...this is my first REAL HT, I used to have a 27" CRT TV with a Pioneer 373 DVD player and a Sharp 2.1 surround Stereo using an RCA VCR as a central hub, hehe, which I had all bought at 16y/o.

AK

·
Registered
172 Posts
maybe worth looking into switching to DishPro / DishProPlus LNBs? Bell doesn't sell them to my knowledge, but the 3100 and 6100 both support DishPro and I believe there are ways to run multiple receivers off a single coax line / splitter scenario...

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
You can't get around running an extra cable back to the dish. All you need to do is run an RG6 cable from the 3100 to the second output on the 91 LNB. Add any more receivers and you will need a SW44. Leave the 6100 connections alone until you get a SW44.

DishPro equipment will cut the cables required in half. You must usually replace all the LNBs and switches plus possibly add extra DishPro splitters though. It can often be cheaper just to run new cables. New installations might work out cheaper using DishPro equipment.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cabling/Switch Mess need help

Ok, I’ve searched the net for a few days trying to find the answer to this question and I can not seem to find one. I will start by listing what Equipment I want to hookup and what equipment I have to do so. I Mounted my 2 dishes about 2 weeks ago (bell & dish network) both dishes have dual lnbs so I’m getting 4 sats into the house 82,91,110,119. I have 8 wires coming from the roof to my attic. For bell I have a 9200 IRD, this came with a SW44, I first tried hooking the SW44 up as shown and get a error no matter how I connect the cables to it saying port 2b is missing I tried every combination of cables and I tested each cable individually to a 3100 ird and all the cables alone work just fine, anyway i called bell and they seemed to think the SW44 was bad and are going to ship me a new one. My problem is the SW44 takes 4 lines form the dish to the SW44 then sends out 4 Paired (82,91) lines, my problem with this is I want to connect 1 line form 82 and 1 like form 91 to a 4-1 Diseqc switch for use with the dvb card. And Having a SW44 in place I can not do this. So from the research i have been doing I found out that if I get 2 multiswitches (42s). If I connect the 2 lines from 82 to 1 multiswitch and the 2 lines form 91 to the other multi switch I should have 8 outputs (4 each) from there I can connect 2 of those lines (1 from each) to a SW21 x2. Then I would have my 2 paired (82,91) lines for the 9200 IRD now I should be able to take like 3 x2 one on 82 one on 91 and put them into my disqc switch. Also am I able to take the 2 SW21's out and replace it with the new SW44 when I get it in the mail will this also work? Last night I quickly attempted to hookup 91 with a multiswitch then 2 lines form that to 2 sw21's along with 2 82 lines straight from the dish, now I’m not sure if I have a problem with my cable or not but on the 2nd line going to the 9200 I’m not getting sat 91, now I might have to double check all my cables but it just seemed strange that the 91 with multiswitch to SW21 was not working.

My questions are - Can you use 2 multiswitches (82,91)then hookup SW21s, after the multiswitch will this work?

Can you use 2 multiswitches (82,91) and then take 2 lines from each multiswitch and hook up to a SW44.

Does the Multiswitch need to be powered? I know if I use the SW44 hookup it needs to be powered but if I use multiswitches, do I also need to power those too in order for the above scenarios to work.
:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try this

I'm no expert as I just powered up my sw44. I read in an post from 2003 a method that that worked for someone else. He connected the LNBs, then Power Inserter, then receivers to Power Inserter and other receivers. Lastly, he plugged in the power supply. This didn't work for me so I tried something different.

I hooked everything up including the power, EXCEPT the LNBs. I hooked up one LNB input at a time and read what the switch found. If it didn't register an input, I moved the input to a different connection on the switch. When I was done, I found that 91 was on the 2nd and 3rd input and 82 was on 1st and 4th. To me, this would be different than the connections shown on the switch - 1B, 1A, 2B, 2A. It was slow checking one at a time but it is working.

Anyway, I know it sounds confusing but hope it helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
""Keep in mind that each Power Inserter will need an AC outlet to connect to. It is your typical power plug with the DC converter box at the end of the plug""
Just a quick question, I am just doing the electrical now, how close will I need an outlet for the power inserter?
Also any1 hear if then 9220 is back up for sale yet?

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
i got the splitters at home depot for 9.99 each
I got some good quality 2 MHZ splitters for $2.50 each and the correct (2 MHZ with DC pass on one leg only) splitters for $3.50 each. At least you didn't pay $40 each for "Monster" splitters. Markups on these things are astronomical.

how close will I need an outlet for the power inserter?
The power inserter can be next to the receiver as long as your cable runs are under 200 feet. Over that you might have other problems anyway.

·
Registered
172 Posts
viper14 said:
My questions are - Can you use 2 multiswitches (82,91)then hookup SW21s, after the multiswitch will this work?
not sure about this, but should work.

viper14 said:
Can you use 2 multiswitches (82,91) and then take 2 lines from each multiswitch and hook up to a SW44. Does the Multiswitch need to be powered?
Yep, my friend has this working. The multiswitches aren't powered.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
If you want to put two SW44 switches on a EV/Dishnet dish you need to use 4 of this type of splitter (not the type you find in most stores.) The connection diagram is included with EV/Dishnet SW44s. Just substitute one of the SW44s with the diseqc switch. This way you will have 4 EV/Dishnet outputs and 1 diseqc output. Connecting switches in series will work in some situations but will generally not provide any extra functionality over splitters and SW44s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
5th reciever

I want to hook up a 5th receiver, actually a fourth but one is a 9200, and I have a sw44 now.
If I only need sat 91 for the last receiver, can I split one of the 91 cables before the sw44 and send of the outlets to the sw44 and one to the last receiver?

If not is there any other way I can do this without the 4 1by 2 and a second sw44, as already discussed here?
I'm sure I won't need any more receivers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like I am having a similar problem. I am trying to add a second independent reciever to my bell expressvu system.

-------------------------------------
Current setup:

Outside:

- 2 x Dual LNBs
- 2 x SW21s

Inside:

- Two coax run from outside to inside to my main panel.
- Then I route the two coax to my dual tuner 9200 series receiver
- The output of the 9200 go to another TV and controlled by an UHF remote

-------------------------------------
Are there splitters/switchers that will work after a SW21 so that I can make the split of one of my lines to feed one of my dual tuner inputs and my independent reciever input.

41 - 60 of 137 Posts