Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use a Bell ExpressVU dish to work on DirecTV's satellite?

My son who lives in the US gave me a DirecTV receiver - linked to his account - to use here in Toronto, he spends lots of time here and wants his US line up when he visits.

Do I need to modify my dish in any way or will it work fine, I realise I will need to align it to the DirecTV bird.

Thanks.

DS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hum, I am somewhat of a newbie.

How do you mean ? Do they use bigger dish?

How many birds do they have?

DS

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
HD receivers require a Slimline dish that gets 99, 101 and 103. SD receivers will work fine with the Bell dish pointed at 101.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slimline is the one I will get then, I just need to find someone who will sell it & install it for me.

Thank you.

DS

·
Registered
295 Posts
dshel.There is two slimline dishes available.One uses 4 wires coming out of the lnb and the other a (swm).It has 1 wire carrying the signals from all 5 sats.There's probably not too many people around that know how to aim them correctly,and the one witch is a swm is even trickier.Maybe you should get your son to study it up and do it when he gets here.GOOD LUCK. The others are just jealous you"ll have better tv.MUCH BETTER.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dtv

Bent But...That account splitting is more common than you think-DTV has such competiton now-from the Cable and Verizon Fios (phone co. fiber net.)along with Dish Network-I think they are glad to collect the payment each month and don't want to "rock the boat"

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not really. DirecTV terminated tens of thousands of paid, grey market accounts in Canada some years ago. Their policy and practice today is to terminate any service located in Canada. And they simultaneously blacklist your receivers so you can't re-activate or resell them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
you're right skibunny but it's a government thing. They would much rather collect our money and turn a blind eye.That was the FCC cracking down on complaints. So anyway have a nice day everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts