Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im new here and this is my first post to this forum. So far All I can say is WoW, is there ever a lot of information on this site. I have been searching for information on the 9200 and Hard Drive Problems for weeks, and I came across this forum recomended from another forum (unfortunatly I cant remember which one, I have been to so many)

Anyway, my question is this, reading through the 9200 flakey hard drive thread, someone took a dump of the firmware and they were able to determine which hard drives are compatible with the 9200, there was also some thinking in the thread that a future update might make more harddrives compatible due to all the ones listed were virtually obsolete. Has anyone read the new updates to see if more hard drives have been added? If so, which ones? Or does anyone know where I may find one of the ones listed seeing as the dreaded Maxtor now seems to work? My 9200 died a few weeks back 2 months out of warrenty, I know the drive is dead as it does not even power up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
FYI, Bell will do an out of warranty drive replacement for $150.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Take the maintenance program

Even better:

Subscribe to their maintenance program for a few weeks ($5/month) and then place a service call.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can apply for the $5 dishcare plan at any time, warranty expired or not. I did, and have already had the receiver replaced under this warranty. Just wait at least a few weeks until you make a claim/ask for a new box.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Really? That's great, it's just that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. When I subscribed to them initially and bought one of my receivers. When activating, I asked when I should apply the dishcare. They said you can wait up to the last month of 1 year since the purchase.

But hey, if you can get away with it, that's all that matters!

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I was activating my 9200, I inquired about what I could do about my 6 yr old 5100, which was starting to show signs of HDD problems. I was told by the CSR that dishcare would be the good way to go.

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's great! I wish they would get their story straight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm

When I talked to BEV on the phone they did offer me the $150 exchange, and then the tech said "wait, why don'y you sign up for the awrrenty at $5 a month, then get it fixed that way" I said ok, sign me up, then he said "Oh wait, we dont offer it in BC, strange, guess you cant do that". I hate paying another $150 on top of the $600 I already paid, if the rental program was out I would have done that, but it wasnt when I bought mine. I was hopeing that there was an updated list of Hard Drives it could use so when it happens again I could fix it faster, and probaly cheaper. Thanks for the idea though.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know of the following models being supported. A couple of others have been recently added in V145 but I'm not sure what they are.
Maxtor 7Y250M0 250GB
Maxtor 6L250S0 250GB
Seagate ST3160023AS 160GB
Seagate ST3250823SCE 250GB
Western Digital WD2500JD-55HBB1 250GB
Western Digital WD2500JD-57HBB1 250GB
Western Digital WD2500JD-57HBC0 250GB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks for the help. Hopefully someone will get a readout of the v145 update and post the new list soon, these hard drives seem really had to get now, so they will have to do something with the list of acceptable hard drives soon. Besides I really miss my PVR.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Hopefully they will start sticking some bigger drives into their boxs like they did with the SD-PVRs. This hard drive fills up way to fast.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I know of the following models being supported. A couple of others have been recently added in V145 but I'm not sure what they are.
Maxtor 7Y250M0 250GB
Maxtor 6L250S0 250GB
Seagate ST3160023AS 160GB
Seagate ST3250823SCE 250GB
Western Digital WD2500JD-55HBB1 250GB
Western Digital WD2500JD-57HBB1 250GB
Western Digital WD2500JD-57HBC0 250GB
It's about time they got off the piddly-ass sizes and get to some decent 400+ sizes. 25 hours of HD content is just dumb and lets face it, you got one of these bad boys, recording HD content is what you are all about. BEV needs some *healthy* competition to get their ass in gear because otherwise they will continue to deliver sub-par service/support.

Calvin

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd like to replace the hard drive in my 9200 unit. I have read that the hard drive in it is a Maxtor 7Y250M0. This was from an old post. Is this still the default HD for the 9200's? If not is there a list of supported replacement drives somewhere?

We're up to v149 now...have they added anymore drives to the firmware?

thanks,
Brendin

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just punch 7y250m0 into the search function and you will find a post with a list of all the compatible drives. Good luck on finding one though. I recall reading that only certain build dates of that series would work. I tried locating one of the other models listed but didn't have much luck. :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you system is out of warranty and you do not intend on letting somebody else fix it, just open up the top and take a look.

There is a warranty label accross the drive cover that would have to be cut to get at the drive. I can tell you that it is a SATA drive (at least in mine).

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should be able to peel that sticker off. I did. I'm waiting for a replacement unit but it's playoff hockey right now and I will miss 3 or 4 games if I wait.

My question is.. Using a partion manager type program I see that ther are 4 linux partitions, well 3 are formated the 4th large (most of the drive) says unformated. 2 are ext3, 1 is linux swap2. I think this may be the problem. I'm formating the 4th now as ext3.

What I would like to know is if anyone has actually replaced the HDD in this unit and if they just wiped the drive clean or did they have to partition/format it?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Denny23, I'm not sure what state your 9200 is in. If it boots up but you suspect the disk is bad, try reformatting following these instructions. If it doesn't boot at all, you might want to read through this thread, to see what others have done in that case.

-Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just punch 7y250m0 into the search function and you will find a post with a list of all the compatible drives. Good luck on finding one though. I recall reading that only certain build dates of that series would work. I tried locating one of the other models listed but didn't have much luck. :(
does there exist today of other model of harddrive to replace that of the 9200 ?

Macha

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
What I would like to know is if anyone has actually replaced the HDD in this unit and if they just wiped the drive clean or did they have to partition/format it?
I did a pretty extensive dig through the partitions on these drives last year and posted the results. While they are labeled as ext2 they aren't. They are more likely a form of raw partition. Best bet is just to use the formating system built into the PVR.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts