Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

The video on most ExpressVu channels appears like a signal that is being blocked by bad weather (pixelated). On 'set-up' the signal quality shows as 92%. The line-of-sight for the dish doesn't appear to be obstructed, except by a little snow (which I hear can be improved by the use of 'Rainex).

I'm new to this: should I be looking at a receiver problem; the dish, the LNB, or perhaps the wiring? A call to tech support didn't help much and a visit to the local BellWorld almost convinced me to switch to cable.

Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Has it always been like this?
Did you just upgrade to a new HDTV?
Signal issues will cause the "searching for satellite" nag, and the picture will break up

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you have 92% signal Strength that is not your problem at all.

I would be looking at the connections from the 4700 to the TV.

How is it connected, via Coax or Composite.?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had a 4700 that was doing this on the movie channels only. What it ended up being was the input coax connector was worn out (the centre was bored out for a lack of a better term). Why it only affected the Movie Central channels, I don't know. I since replaced it with a 4100 receiver, same wiring, no issues.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you are using old cable wiring then make sure that there are no splitters as that would cause pixelation.
Possible but splitters normally cause the loss of even transponders, if they are 1 Ghz splitters.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a 4700 that was doing this on the movie channels only. What it ended up being was the input coax connector was worn out (the centre was bored out for a lack of a better term). Why it only affected the Movie Central channels, I don't know. I since replaced it with a 4100 receiver, same wiring, no issues.
Hmm... not sure about the coax connection being a factor. My 4700 also has occasional pixelation effects on the movie channels (TMN) which don't happen on my 2700 (nor the 5100 or 9242). I suspect that it is because the TMN channels are using a higher resolution (704x480 vs 544x480), and the older hardware in the 4700 just can't keep up with this higher resolution. So, I've just configured my MythTV to prefer the 2700 for recording the TMN channels, and use either the 4700 or 2700 for everything else. Haven't had any problems since.

However, the OP was experiencing problems on most channels, not just the movie channels, so his problem is probably something different.

/ ashtonp

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BEV 4700 trouble

Many thanks for all the prompt responses. Based on these and other blogs, it seems the movie channels are transmitting too much bandwith for the 4700 to keep up, especially in areas of the picture with quick movement. We've done nothing recently with the TV, cables or connections so didn't think the problem was on our end. Thank goodness we didn't waste any money changing dishes, LNBs and the like. The UHF remote is essential, so I guess we'll have to look at upgrading the receiver with that feature or switch back to cable. Bell makes it hard to upgrade since all of their hardware promotions target new customers. I don't think it right that we have to terminate service and dream up a new phone number just to buy new hardware at a reasonable price (and then sign another contract). Hardly good customer service!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
99% of the time, if you ask, you can get the same promotion as a new customer. Bell has made numerous improvements in this area. Worst case, the retention department will ensure you get the same deal, but there are MANY posts already on that topic.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If these problems only started after the Card Swap, call Bell, see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been getting a similar problem with my 9242 box...slight pixelation on the image...regardless of picture quality...it could be from the firgid temps that have blanketed eastern Canada for the past few weeks, not to mention the snow storms we've also had.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a 4700. It works fine except for PBS West (KCTS9), which is horribly pixelated and basically unwatchable. But my 3100 continues to be flawless, so my son has to watch Thomas and Friends downstairs :D

I don't have any firm evidence to support this claim, but I believe the switch to N3 encryption is dragging on the older receivers that have limited processing power and memory. I've also noticed that the guide on the 4700 is only good for a couple of hours, and the guide on my 3100 which used to go a full 41 hours has been cut down to 30 hours or so.

EDIT: older thread for reference http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=92113&highlight=4700

1 - 12 of 12 Posts