Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HP media center PC and a 3100 and 4100 BEV receiver. I can watch live TV with either, but I can't get PC to change the chanels on either receiver. I believe that both the 3100 and 4100 use IR not UHF, so the IR blaster should be able work. I have tried the IR blaster in many different locations on the receivers, but it hasn't made any difference. :confused:

I have searched this forum, the MS support site, and googled. But haven't come up with much. The only thing that I saw at MS was that not all BEV receivers will work because they don't all use IR.

Has any been able to get it to work? I'm hoping that I'm just doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance,
MT

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
It should work, You might want to check the remote/receiver address. Some devices do not support any addresses other than #1. You may need to "teach" the software the remote codes (if that is supported.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taught the Media center pc the remote codes of the BEV receiver. But it doesn't work using the keyboard either. So I don't think the problem is with the remote. I can enter in a new channel number (with the remote or keyboard), the picture and sound stop for a second, the channel # and info provided by the PC changes and then the picture and sound continue with the same tv show I started with. So it would seem to be trying to do something.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just to be clear on what you've tried already:
1. You used your current BEV remote pointed at the media center and it either detected or learned how to change channels.
2. You plugged in the IR blaster cable into the Media Center, removed the sticky tape from the other end and attached it to the front of your BEV receiver.
3. When MCE attempts to change the channel in the setup wizard, it fails to change the channel.

Does that sound about right?

Do you have 1 or 2 BEV boxes connected? If 2, press the "try the other IR cable" button and see if that helps. MCE in this wizard is trying to figure out what IR blaster you attached to which box.

Also are you 100% sure that the IR blaster is affixed directly over the sensor on the BEV box? It needs to directly on top of the sensor to work. Sometimes it's not clear where the IR sensor is located, usually you can see it behind some black glossy plastic front, it looks like a tiny lightbulb just behind the plastic.

Hope this helps!
Pete

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Go back into the TV signal settings and slow down the remote speed. You can adjust the remote speed between fast, medium and slow. If the setting is too high, the receiver will not get all the code needed to change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pnear - Yes. That is what I have tried. I have only 1 BEV box attached at a time. When the 4100 wouldn't work, I dug out my old 3100 hoping it might work better.

With the 3100 the sensor is very obvious. There are 3 little "windows" with light bulbs in them. I have tried the IR blaster on top, above, next to, etc. It made no difference.

With the 4100, the majority of the front of the box is black plastic, with a flashlight I was able to see the sensor set back a bit. I also tried the IR blaster all over the place.

My assumption is, I either don't have the IR blaster in the right place (but I've tried practically every position, honest), or the IR blaster is not working, or it just isn't possible (which would be a real bummer)

jbracing24 - I'll try the remote speed tonight. Thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Review this thread as well. It's not specific to the problem you describe but could be related. Perhaps make sure the channel you're testing with doesn't contain consecutive digits (ie 003 is bad, but 025 is good as a test).

http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/browse_thread/thread/cfdbeee040d4d91/7ee0bbc13d4460a8#7ee0bbc13d4460a8

And that thread leads to this post by a (at the time) Microsoft MCE developer:
http://mediacenter.mattgoyer.com/2004/12/14.html

Cheers
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts