Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My current theater setup is as per my sig. I just bought 2 X Energy RC-70 which will be used for music upstairs. I would like to move my Monitor Audio RS-W12 [specs] upstairs with them since it is fantastic for music, and get a new one for the theater. I know there are better performers out there for less $$. I will still be playing some music on this system, but it will be used mainly for movies. A few retailers that come to mind are SVS (PS/SB12-NSD although the sealed seems light at 40lbs shipped?) and HSU. At HSU there is a VTF-2 and VTF-3 with, at a glance, the only difference is 250/350 watts RMS and both extend to 18Hz where the MA I have goes to 21. I would consider shipping from the US (eD - A2-300, A3-250, A5s-300, A3-300??) as well if the price/performance is right. Let's say budget is around $700. Will also consider an easy DIY kit as well as a used sub. Suggestions please?

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you have room, why not two of these Emo Ultra-10s or 12s which are still on sale.

Recently reviewed by audioholics.

I got two of the 12s back in July but have yet to move them to the same room. One is in the basement and one is in family room HT together with another sub - B&W ASW600.

The Emos sound okay for the money. I think I prefer the tightness of the B&W though it's only 10 inches and doesn't put out as much.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was hoping to go a step up from the MA, and thanks for the reply. Cheers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I just want one sub which digs a little deeper and hits slightly harder than the MA.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
I don't have any suggestions for new subs up to $700, but in the $700-$1K range, I'd suggest looking at the following:
- Rythmik F15
- Epik Empire
- HSU VTF-15H

If you were to consider going with two subs, dual Emotiva Ultra Sub 12s - especially at their current price - should be pretty sweet. :)

As for used, there's a guy in Sackville, N.B. (see the New Brunswick Kijiji site for more info.) selling two Paradigm Servo-15 v2 subs. :cool: Snagging one of those has got to be worth a road trip! :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think Eljay has a valid point and you might want to extend the budget a little. Since the sub you currently have isn't all that bad you might find that to get noticeable improvements you will need to spend more than you originally wanted.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Eljay: Thanks for the suggestions. The problem with Rythmik & HSU is the SHIPPING...which is between 150-300 bucks, them comes customs (GST, Brokerage...)

As for Epik: According to their FAQ "At this time, we sell to the 50 US states and to Europe."

I have no problem extending budget...I can simply save & wait as this is going to be a secondary system I am setting up (but switching the subs).

No votes for SVS??

One last thing, only getting ONE sub, so duals in not to be considered, thanks!
~cape

·
Registered
145 Posts
No votes for SVS??
I'm a big fan of SVS but there are limited choices with your budget.

PB10-NSD $579 - I'm thinking this won't be much better than what you have now.

SB12-NSD $650 - There are a few reviews on AVS about this now. Don't know how much of an improvement this would be over your current sub though.

PB12-NSD $729 - Maybe they have one left? I just upgraded from one and had no complaints. There is no date when the replacement model will be available.

PB12-Plus $1399 - I just upgraded to this and it should do everything you want. Check out the thread about this sub in this section.

SB13-Plus $1550 (US) - Don't know how much this will cost in Canada but it will have the same amp as the PB12-Plus. Might be a good choice if you want a sealed sub. http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb13plus.cfm

Plus you will need to add shipping to those prices.

Are you able to ship to a border UPS store and drive over to pick it up? That would reduce the cost of buying in the USA.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
No votes for SVS??
Other than the new PB12-Plus - which, by all accounts, is awesome, but which is also quite a bit above your price ceiling - I'm not familiar with SVS' newer offerings. And I agree with wantmorehd that the PB10-NSD probably won't give you that "next level" that you're looking for.

(I'd offer to sell you my PB12-NSD as soon as Rythmik has their Black Matte subs back in stock... :D ...but I have no idea how I'd pack it for shipping to N.S., and I suspect it'd cost more than a few bucks to get it out there.)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ wantmorehd: When I go to this page, I see the SB-12 Plus, but when I click on it, I get "product not found". I wrote sonicboom a message asking what products they actually have. Also, the are located in Canada and are an SVS dealer so no duty with these guys. Also, I am willing to stretch the budget a bit to achieve my expectations, which would also take longer to save, and that's fine...

@ eljay: How do you plan on getting the Rythmik to Canada? Shipping they quoted me was UPS ground (UGH), which = brokerage fees, on top of taxes and duty...When the time comes for you to sell that sucker, let me know because I still won't have mine yet...looking months down the road, but starting research now. Maybe we can work something out then!

·
Registered
107 Posts
One of the underrated names that comes to my mind is velodyne , can be bought locally and they sound great , after this i only see SVS . Lately i have a hard time to accept reviews from someone who is paid to review a product .

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
which review would that be? I don't pay attention TOO MUCH to paid reviews...customer reviews who know what they are talking about is what its at...that's why I have asked for opinions on forums.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
caper_26 said:
@ eljay: How do you plan on getting the Rythmik to Canada?
I am most likely going to have the subs delivered to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg, NY, which is an easy, one-hour drive from here (Ottawa). That will save me ~$100 or so of additional shipping costs. As with my Emotiva UPA-5 amplifier, I'm hoping that bringing them across the border will involve paying only taxes and not duties.

When the time comes for you to sell that sucker, let me know ... Maybe we can work something out then!
Will do. :D

·
Banned
175 Posts
@ Eljay: Thanks for the suggestions. The problem with Rythmik & HSU is the SHIPPING...which is between 150-300 bucks, them comes customs (GST, Brokerage...)

As for Epik: According to their FAQ "At this time, we sell to the 50 US states and to Europe."

I have no problem extending budget...I can simply save & wait as this is going to be a secondary system I am setting up (but switching the subs).

No votes for SVS??

One last thing, only getting ONE sub, so duals in not to be considered, thanks!
~cape
I have a cylindrical SVS sub and love it. It's a 12", hits hard and low for ht but still very musical. I have had Velodyne, Energy, Klipsch and HSU over the years, but nothing performs as well as this SVS.
My $.02
Cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
@ wantmorehd: When I go to this page, I see the SB-12 Plus, but when I click on it, I get "product not found". I wrote sonicboom a message asking what products they actually have. Also, the are located in Canada and are an SVS dealer so no duty with these guys. Also, I am willing to stretch the budget a bit to achieve my expectations, which would also take longer to save, and that's fine...
That looks like the old SB-12 Plus and they just haven't removed it from their site yet. There will be a new model replacing it this year.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box.cfm

That is why I suggested looking at the SB13-Plus also, I think they have been shipping in the USA so since you are flexible in your timing, you could read up that model and see if it will work for you.

Otherwise, it only leaves the PB12-Plus (or equivalent cylinder sub) unless you want to step up to the PB13-Ultra.

Since Sonic Boom is only a 30 minute drive from my place, it made my life easier. Once you add shipping into the mix, that might open up some other name brands for the same money.

You might want to also check out Paradigm or Velodyne subs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you considered building one from a kit?
Yes. I wil have to look a little deeper and explore the DIY forums, but I have friends that actually in charge of a wood-hobby club here that may be able to help with that. They have ALL the tool there, trust me, I was in the shop...it is amazing. I would just need to tell them any tips on sealing up the box properly, I guess. These are the 2 kits others have recommended:
Trio12_APR15
QUARTET12(TRIO12)B - Someone said this one was better since the passive radiators were the same size as the driver.
What is your opinion on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Personaly I like the Quatet12 if only because it winds up being a symetrical subwoofer when it is done.
Bob at CSS is a good guy to deal with and brings a lot of integrity to the table,
I bought my Adire Audio ADA 1200 subwoofer amplifier from him.

It presently powers this unit - 8 cubic feet sealed, dual 15" Soundsplinter RLp D4 drivers wired for 4 ohms total, takes up 4 sq feet of real estate, weighs 310 pounds without the amplifier module.
I built it with 4 clamps, a skil-saw and saw guide, a router and a gallon of wood glue.

Two excellent online DIY communities are hometheatershack.com and hometheaterguide.com - hts for subwoofers and HTG for full range speakers.

If you do elect to build your own, please post some pics here so the rest of DigitalHomeCanada can see it

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am thinking I have it narrowed down to either a CSS DIY, or a SVS NSD (PC12 or PB 12). Just seeking out some info on the DIY route now. Do the "kits" include everything...I didnt see any crossover or anything in it...only amp and driver, and some hardware.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
A CSS kit with the BASH family of plate amps have a crossover built into the plate amp, if you are using the subwoofer line-out on your AVR rather than the speaker level outs then your AVR will also have a crossover built into it's outpuit (usually with a selectable crossover frequency to boot).

If you elect to use a comercial/pro grade outboard amp like the very affordable Behringer units, then crossover duties can be performed by the AVR, or by a Reckhorn unit avaialble from CSS as well.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts