Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm certainly not one to go stand in line with all the fanatics, but with the looming component shortage from Japan, I'm half tempted to stand out in the cold for this one. My preference is to wait a couple of weeks when I'm in Oregon (no sales tax + favourable exchange rate means about a $100 savings on a 64GB 3G model)

At any rate, its good to know the international launch is still on for Canada.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
And all those posts have been removed.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Given the shortages in the US, I'm betting Apple Stores in the March 25 countries will be in the "tens" - maybe a hundred or so (?), while retailers like Best Buy will be closer to just a plain "ten".
Just like when the iPhone4 came out in Canada, while there was limited stock in the US, Rogers stores and Futureshop, BestBuy, etc. were getting 10-15. I see the same thing this Friday.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How long would the line up be for iPad 2?

Coming to Canada on Friday.

How long did you line up for the first iPad?

How long would you line up for iPad 2?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Didn't line up for the first one. Pre-ordered from apple.ca and it was delivered to a remote Northern Ontario town on release day. Apple called me to tell me it might not make it on time and gave me my case for free.

Not getting an iPad2 (at least not for a while)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Unless you're prepared to camp out early in front of an Apple Store, my guess is you are out of luck Friday. I believe they go onsale at 5pm at the Apple Store.

I'd like to get one ASAP but I won't line up.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You might want to try a best buy that is close to an apple store. Last launch those stores seemed to not have the same crowds.

If you aren't looking for a low end model that's probably your best bet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also some WalMarts in Canada now sell Apple Ipads so another option would be to go there........but I think there stock would be very low for the first day......but who knows maybe still worth a try......

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After some reflection, I've come to the conclusion that the second gen iPad isn't really worth going too far out of my way for, given I already have a first-gen. I do need 3G and more capacity, but thats about it. The cameras seem to be a letdown, since i would anticipate using them more for stills than video.

I think a lot of people share that opinion given that iPad2 buyers are overwhemingly first-time buyers, not upgraders.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I see the prices are now listed on the Apple Canada, Best Buy, and Future Shop sites - the Canadian prices have a $20 premium over the American prices (if you count the dollars being at par). Not a good deal given our dollar is a bit higher now, but it's not as bad as the $50 premium that was charged on the first models.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am still debating to buy it because it still does not support flash. If Apple support flash later on, will it be a software or hardware upgrade issue?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Grimjack, don't forget Wallaby.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Available for order on apple.ca

After some reflection, I've come to the conclusion that the second gen iPad isn't really worth going too far out of my way for, given I already have a first-gen. I do need 3G and more capacity, but thats about it.
I just pre-ordered (by about 8 hours!) a 32GB Wi-Fi on apple.ca. It might take a while to receive - my invoice indicates:
Available: 2-3 weeks
Receive it: within 8-12 business days after shipping by Standard Shipping
I'm the opposite - with Personal Hotspot, I need less capacity and no 3G (my iPad 1 is a 64GB 3G).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I was out this morning running errands, picking up mail etc, so I went by the local Best Buy at 10am just to see what was going on.

Lots of folks eager to get in.

They were very upset when they found out that Best Buy was only selling them at 5pm. Naturally that information was not on the flyer.

I could see people showing the flyer to sales rep suggesting they weren't pleased!

My guess is the same scene is playing out across the country at every Best Buy and Futureshop.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's surprising. It was well marked online that it wasn't on sale until 5pm, I'm surprised their marketing department could miss out on that in the print flyer.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
All the people that I saw were 35 and over with several in their 50 and 60's. My guess is they weren't going on-line.

As far as online, I was on the Bestbuy site earlier this week (when I posted in post #3) and it never said anything about 5pm at Best Buy which surprised me since that was when it was going onsale at the Apple store.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You may have seen that many people at BB because they said on their website (for a few days), that they would hand out tickets at 10am, and you come back and buy it at 5pm. I saw that and went for 10 am, and there were just a couple other people there, all knew about the "tickets at 10" thing. The guy that let us in pretended not to know anything about it (in a way that you could tell he knew, but couldn't confirm it), and told us to come back and line up at 4, for sales at 5. I may go back - I already ordered one on the website early this morning, but I'd just cancel that.

My guess is that Apple saw what BB was doing and told them "no!"

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I was across the street at 9:55am picking up some stuff at Staples so I just went across the street to see if there was lines etc. There was about 10 or 15 people just outside the door at 9:59am.

When I left at 10:05, there was a line starting outside that had two people in it but most of the people (about 15) were at the iPad section in the back of the store. Several had flyers in their hand (although I don't know if they brought it with them or picked them up at the store)

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Was at Apple Store, FS and BB in downtown Toronto today. The Apple Store has a massive lineup going the Indligo Store (for those who know the layout). You had 2 or 3 people waiting at FS and nobody at BB (though I did see signs saying 5pm, perhaps they handed out numbers and let people go away)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts