Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Im in the process of getting a cell phone contract for the first time. Any suggestions on which provider has the best reception in toronto north york area?

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is a very general question.

In Toronto (North York area), you will find service from Bell, Telus, Rogers and Fido. You will also find the big name MVNO's like Solo, Kodoo, Virgin, etc.

Generally speaking, you will find the quality of signal strenght the same with any of them. What you need to see (probably) are the following:

1. Reception where you will use the phone (at home or work, etc)
2. Types of phones and price plans
3. Customer service

etc...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in downtown toronto.
I need something that comes with free phone and doesn't cost me more than $40 per month after tax. Minimum plan is good. Good customer service is important to me: I hate being in the waiting line for 1/2 hour over phone.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
instead of getting a FREE phone and tying yourseff into long term 3-year contracts, why not BUY a cheap phone for $50 retail price (NO CONTRACT PRICE) and go month to month? They're selling BNIB new V180 for $50 OUTRIGHT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take Over Someone else's cell phone contract

I just got an unlocked iphone as a gift from my girlfriend today. So now, I want to join Rogers immediately but I dont want a 3 year contract.
I found a site, that sells used cell phone contracts that are short term. So it works wel for me.
The site says there is no transfer fee with the provider to take over a cell phone contract. I just wanted to confirm with someone that is the case.
thanks for the help.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
These sites are very common. I have edited out the site you mention because they have been spamming this site and therefore I don't want their url posted here.

My advice is to make sure you are getting a good deal and its probably worth calling the wireless phone provider first to confirm what information they require.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I've had Telus, Rogers and now Bell service. Overall, my impression is that Telus was the most reliable. I really don't recall having any technical problems with their service. Rogers was very good with the best signal strength, but getting a "network busy" message on the 401 during rush hour was not uncommon, nor was the occational dropped call.

Bell seems to have the most reception problems. In the office, the signal at my desk is 5 bars but in the center of the building, it's 1 or none. I also have signal problems in the building of a client of mine where Telus and Rogers worked flawlessly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts