Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Best way to watch mkv and vob on lcd

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  nesh-TO 
#1 ·
I have an xbox 360 and a laptop. The laptop doesnt have a dvi ouput, but it has a vga.

To connect my laptop to my tv I was considering getting a vga-vga. The tv has 2 mono inputs for the sound.

I have been decoding the mkvs to mp4, but not all files decode successfully to be streamed by the 360. I want to know what would be the best options to watch mkv and vob on the tv.

I have heard of vlc 360 and tversity, but are they able to stream all types of files to through the xbox 360?

The second option I am considering is getting vga-vga and an audio cables connecting from my laptop to the 2 mono inputs on the tv.

Are there any other better options?

I may still consider getting cables to connect my laptop to the tv just to check out gaming on the larger screen. Since I am a complete noob, which cables should I get from monoprice to make it work? (There are too many different types of vga and audio cables)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there,

the 2 mono inputs will not give you 5.1 surround which I assume will be carried in your mkv/vob source.

you can get this working on your laptop by using an external sound device
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External USB Sound Card is an example

VGA is suitable, I've used VGA for a HDTV and quality is just as good.

Check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.