Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a video clip that is recorded in 720x480 DVD, but the source who gave it to me could only do Mated Letterbox. The video is meant for a family since they're in it, and I was hoping to use a software to crop the black bars, but maintain the same aspect ratio, and make it a 720x480 Anamorphic wide-screen DVD instead, with probably simple effects such as a title and credits.

I know that going from mated letterbox (hard coded black bars) to Anamorphic will loose quality, but the family would like to see it on their 16x9 TV set and specifically asked for it NOT to be pillar boxed, and they do NOT want to have to change the Zoom or Aspect controls on their TV/DVD.

Any simple techniques?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems like a lot of the programs I've tried, weather it be free or paid, don't work correctly, the audio loses sync with the video, and what not...

I know how to edit the widescreen flags so the DVD will play anamorphically in any dvd player and letterbox it on 4:3 tv's, thats not the issue I'm having.

I have the video, which has the black bars already encoded, so would it be easier to simply "stretch the video anamorpically so everyone in the video is tall and skinny, then burn it with the anamorphic flags in the ifo files so it will horisontally stretch it back?

most of the programs and advice only seem to be able to crop the videos, and none of them have played back properly in a standard dvd or blue ray players connected to TV's.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
most of the programs and advice only seem to be able to crop the videos, and none of them have played back properly in a standard dvd or blue ray players connected to TV's.
The TV zoom mode would display them "properly", obviously the PQ may not be great and you stated in your OP that you didn't wish to change aspect.

I guess someone will have to find you a programme that provides a 1.33 vertical stretch to your video. You can then encode it as regular DVD or anamorphic since DVD/BD players typically have a setting for what to do with "4:3" (non-anamorphic) DVDs and you could set that option to stretch.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Have you tried WinAVI? I use it and just noticed that you can actually stretch the picture any way you want.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Paolo, Did you try Super? The advanced options are mind-numbing when it comes to crop/pad, video scale size, aspect ratio control etc. I am pretty sure it can do it if you can just figure out the right settings.

I know syncing is a problem with these software packages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts