Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, does anyone have any suggestions of a good VoIP provider to use with Asterisk that preferably would let me port phone #s to them? Everyone seems big on Voip.ms but I tried it and they really suck. Just using X-Lite soft phone on my laptop the calls are super choppy, and half the time even once someone answers, the phone keeps ringing!

I switched to Callcentric who has been awesome but they don't let you port DIDs. Not a huge deal but just wondering who else people use that they would recommend. I'm using this more as backup or fallover should all my analog phone lines fill up. Thanks!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Callcentric does actually port numbers. However, they don't support outbound Caller ID Name, and they only partially support inbound Caller ID Name for Canadians.

I'm surprised that you had quality issues with VoIP.ms. Did you ever attempt connecting VoIP.ms to your Asterisk server, or to a VoIP device like an ATA or a softphone? Can you reproduce the issues you experienced when you dial the echo test at 4443?

Finally, you can also try a different PoP. It is possible that your ISP has bad routing to the PoP you chose. For example, here in Vancouver, Shaw Cable routes traffic to Seattle via Calgary, and then San Jose! So if you use Shaw Cable and live in Vancouver, the Seattle PoP may not be the best one for you.

m.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm using VoIP.ms through an Asterisk server with absolutely no issues at all. Call quality is great.

Chopping in and out is indicative of a router or an ISP issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts