Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Wii that the kids just love (ages 3, 4 and 8). I want to get my 8yr old son another system for Christmas. Planned on a PS3 since it has blu ray which we don't have. Also thought I'd get the eyepet for my 4yr old daughter for her next bday. A friend told me PS3 has more games for kids so I figured it would be best but this past weekend, a neighbour said that xbox had way more games for kids than PS3. Now, I don't let me kids play the violent games (no shooting, etc). I had been told that the xbox has mostly this type of game but now I'm doubting what I should get. So, which system is best for an 8 yr old boy that also has something the little ones may have fun with?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
which system is best for an 8 yr old boy that also has something the little ones may have fun with?
You've got it already. I'd suggest maybe a Nintendo DS if you don't have one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. He does love the wii and we do have a DS already. Would really like to get him a new system for Christmas though. The thing is, we're redoing our rec room and putting a flat screen there in part so he and his buddies can have a place to play without his little brother and sister always being around. He asked for an xbox last year for Christmas and we said no but I'd like to get him a new system this year. It's mainly for him rather than the younger ones but I'd like a system that will have the most variety of games for a kid his age with at least one game that the younger ones can play so they don't feel left out.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If you have to have something new and shiny, then I think most would suggest the Xbox 360 for its greater abundance of games, especially in the under 10 category.

My advice is go to the major gaming sites and look for games that you may want to get for your youngsters, see what platform they run on and then decide.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
You may want to ask him which he'd prefer. A lot of the time the big deciding factor for kids is what their friends have, if all his friends play Xbox 360 or PS3 then that's probably what he'd want.

Both consoles have a wide range of kid-friendly games.

·
Registered
46 Posts
my son is 9 - and has had a PS3 for 2 years now. There are loads of games for his age catagory. I went with the PS3 because of the Blu-Ray - which he uses all the time. I also like how it connects to my home network and PS3 media server. Him and his buddies use it to play music files off my server all the time.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'd actually say the PS3 has the better library than the 360 for kids games. Stuff like Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, Ratchet and Clank series, Buzz TV is a great family game. The added bonus is a Blu-Ray player and free online play which may be a nice benefit for someone who might not get allot of return on investment for paying for multi-player access.

Play Create, Share!

http://scrawlfx.com/2009/06/play-create-and-share-is-the-new-sandbox-genre

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have all three of the current generation gaming consoles. When a younger child has outgrown the Wii, your next option is an Xbox 360 (my opinion).

For home theater versatility the PS3 is a better choice with Blu-ray movies, HD gaming, Netflix client, UPnP media streaming, etc, but for a 8+ year old the Xbox 360 might be your better option with their wide variety of E rated games, and with great parental controls.

Microsoft has really thought out the challenges of a parent with a young gamer. The parental controls are easy to setup and the system can event graduate the user when they reach an appropriate age. You can also leave them with a free Silver account and and then they can't play or chat online. That's handy with all the language spewed by gamers playing online that everyone tries to control but will never be able to eliminate entirely.

Saying Xbox is more for shooters or adult themed games is not entirely fair. Adult gamers are a big part of their target market and they service their target well. A comparison might be Disneyland. Most people would see Disneyland as a place for little kids. Go to any Disney theme park and you'll find tons of rides for ALL ages, they attract their target market (families with kids), but they also understand people of all ages enjoys their theme parks.

Microsoft and Sony go for the market where the money is... adult hardcore gamers. But their consoles are purchased by families too and the proper tools need to be in place to deal with that. There are tons of games for all ages on all consoles, it's a parents job to watch what they buy and respect the rating placed on games by the ESRB. My daughter is 6 and would rather play on an Xbox 360 then the Wii or the PS3. With the Kinect launching this week she is really excited about Kinectimals.

Here is the Canadian Xbox Family website that explains the services they offer for family and parental controls. There are currently 320 games in their website rated E for Everyone, with another 149 titles rated for E10 or Everyone 10+ years of age.

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Live/Family

The PS3 is still a choice, I would have been more likely to recommend it if i liked their parental controls more.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
don't use my PS3 much for gaming, just as a media server/bluray player mostly, and I haven't really looked into whats available,

but I know 360 has the arcade room and family game night, which would be fun for kids,
the 360 is also IMO more kid oriented with customizable avatars and more user friendly setup

you can use 360 as a media server for streaming, and it works with windows media center,

PS3 may be better cost wise, no yearly online fee, online content is downloaded to the PS3 not the log on account, as far as I know, 360 online purchaces are only good if you are logged into the system on that account,

If I was younger there is no way I would share an account with my brother, he'd ruin my stats :D

also for the adults the PS3 is a Bluray player,

I'd probably try and find out what system his friends are using cause hes going to want to play online I imagine

·
Registered
738 Posts
I think that if you want Blu-Ray, then the choice is made.

The only consideration might be that used 360 games tend to be cheaper, probably because there are more of them. I suppose over time, things will even out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL! Great information on both sides!

Ok, knowing that he'll likely be getting another system in a few years (yeah, I nkow its not necessary but I'm being realistic here), I think we'll get the PS3 for now. Knowing there are a great deal of kids games for that system helps. We'll also have the advantage of having a bluray with it. I really don't want him playing online yet. He's still too young in my mind. His friends actually all have Wiis. The one that has another system actually has a PS3 and an XBOX with the Wii so if he wants to play online with him or share games, he'd be able to with either system. I also like the idea of being able to download games without a fee and without an account.

Now where to buy it! Anyone know if places like BB are willing to discount game consoles if you buy a bunch of other stuff at teh same time (ie: 50in plasma, receiver and surround sound speaker system)? I know they discount other items (got a great deal on a rogers HD box last year when I bough several large items). Trying to decide whether to try this or buy it on 20x point at Shopper Drug Mart and using the extra $200 on bonus redemption to get some games and extra controllers.

Thanks everyone so much!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
They will discount everything EXCEPT the PS3. They make about $10 on the $300 console. Much more wiggle room on the other stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fantastic! Good to know. I think what I may do is get a price on the tv, speakers and receiver (once I figure out what I"m getting ;)) and then add on the PS3 to see if they'll lower the price of those items any further. The thing I keep coming back to though is that if I buy it as Shoppers as mentioned earlier, its basically 50% off because I'll pay $400 and then get $200 items for free ... there's no way they're going to give me a $200 discount on something else just for purchasing a PS3 so I may as well just buy it at Shoppers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good day, CasperJJ:

Highly recommend the ps3, for all the reasons mentioned above. We have a 5 year old (almost 6), and he loves playing on the ps3 (we also have a wii, that I'm looking to get rid of as we don't use it).

I recently purchased at ps3 system for my brother's wedding gift at shoppers with the 20x points, and used my points to be all of the move equipment for my ps3.:cool:

Good luck, in the end I'm sure he would enjoy either system, but I think the ps3 is the better value.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks pspoar! Good to hear from someone that's been there, done that. :) Now to wait for the next 20x event :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
see what your kid wants... If his friends are on Xbox Live, then he will want to play with them... if they all have xbox and he has a PS3 it will not be fun for him... vice versa

Both systems will connect to your home media to play music and movies, and both have HD gaming and both have Netflix.

Ultimately he will want to play with his buddies so he will want what they have

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
after getting kinect, I'd say Xbox is the ultimate kids system

1 - 19 of 19 Posts