Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like sports movies. Normally I'm not a sucker for predictable endings and I really don't watch that much sports now but I like Sports or Sports related movies.

Recently, I watched and enjoyed Radio, Invincible, The Rookie and am looking for more sports movies, especially ones that I can watch with the kids.

What are your favourites? (please note if they are kid friendly!)

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Kid friendly eh. That rules out Slapshot.

Friday Night Lights is actually quite good if you haven't seen it but I don't think it passes the kid friendly test.

The baseball guys all swear by The Natural.

If you want to go old school, how about The Bad News Bears?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Glory Road and We Are Marshall are two that I enjoyed recently. They are both on the cheesy side, stick to a too-familiar formula, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

And while not a sports movie, per se, School Ties is a great film with a football side story...several now-popular actors making appearances early in their careers.

The Sandlot and Rookie of the year were fun when I was a kid...not sure if they've stood the test of time!

If you're an NBA fan, Like Mike has some good cameos in it.

I don't have kids, so I have a hard time judging what's appropriate for kids, but I'd say these films should be suitable.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If you go for Good News Bears, make sure it's the Walter Matthau/Tatum O'Neal version.

Slapshot -- I don't think my kids will *ever* be old enough for me to watch it with them. Best hockey movie bar none.

The Natural was very good, but kids probably won't get it. They *mught* get into Fields of Dreams a bit more. (Hey, it's the guy who did the voice of Darth Vader.)

Some of my other favorites, in addition to the ones listed above:
The Longest Year (the original -- good for older teens)
Breaking Away (loved that movie -- Ciao, papa!)
Eight Men Out (may be a bit above pre-teens)
Gerry Maguire (not safe for younguns, but very good)
Chariots of Fire
Rocky (1, 2 and 3 -- make sure you stop after 3)
Bull Durham -- not for kids, but excellent as a couple movie (same for Maguire)

Never seen Hoosiers but it's supposed to be excellent as well. Same for Raging Bull, but not for kids.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I didn't mean for this to be all about the kids.

Just throw out your favourite sports movie (I'll figure out if its okay for kids!)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hockey, eh??? Miracle and Mighty Ducks, both kid friendly.

Original Bad News Bears has tons of swearing. Just as bad as Billy Bob.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Caddyshack - (This classic was bought for our 16 year old son when he was hired as a caddy at the local golf course.-for training purposes :eek:) Happy Gilmore ,Days of Thunder (NOT Talladega Nights !! :mad:) or even Pulp Fiction (remember - Bruce Willis was a boxer :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really enjoy for the Love of the Game with Kevin Costner........Hoosiers with Gene Hackman..........Seabiscut (is horse racing a sport?).......

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
In addition to some of the others mentioned --
61* (2001) -- for a baseball movie -- it's Roger Maris vs Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth's record at stake!! (with Barry Pepper, Thomas Jane)
Tin Cup (1996) -- for a golf movie. (with Kevin Costner, Rene Russo)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Twelve posts and only one mention of Slapshot??

1) Slapshot
2) Raging Bull
3) The Natural
4) The Hurricane
5) Eight Men OUt
6) Rudy
7) Friday Night Lights
8) Seabiscuit
9) Cinderella Man
10)Canada Russia '72

·
Registered
520 Posts
Fish that saved Pittsburg!!!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hockey: Slapshot.
Golf: Caddyshack. Tin Cup.
Baseball: Bull Durham. The Natural. Eight Men Out. Field of Dreams.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Raging Bull!!

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I agree with many of the films already mentioned, but would add a couple more: Bang the Drum Slowly, and A River Runs Through It (Fly Fishing).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts