Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I can confirm the expander will work with a 6412PIII as I still have one of these running.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have many of the issues with the Pace Summit been fixed with firmware or is it still better to purchase the 3400? Does percentage of space left work? I hear they're comparable now.

I will mostly be recording digital (not HD) programming and need something reliable that will keep programming for a month or more.

The Pace (refurbished) with 1TB can be had for $200, whilst the 3400 is $350 for 500GB. Money is an issue, but I will go for the better model if it's going to be less hassle.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I find the DCX to be more reliable for recording things. It was upgraded last week to run the same guide somewhere as the Pace so Moto would have the +1 in reliability. If Space is a problem you could get an Expander (if in stock) and connect it to give you 1.5TB. Yes it would cost more but works good.
I have a 6416 with an Expander that has worked fine for almost 2 years now. only 2-3 recording issues over that times with thousands of recordings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought one of the Pace units + expander from FS 3 weeks ago for $200. The programming seems to work fine but I get constant glitches in my recordings. The audio/video hesitates for a brief fraction of a second but it happens frequently, every 15-20 seconds and is extremely annoying. When I hit rewind, most often the glitch is not there or not in the same spot which tells me it's some sort of hardware/memory issue perhaps.

I get a few similar glitches with live broadcasts but not as bad as recorded ones. I had the Shaw tech here yesterday and he says my line is bad (showed me multiple error counts and weak signal to the box) and they will trench in a new one for me in a few weeks which he thinks will resolve the problem. I'm skeptical. If it's a hardware issue how could a stronger/error free signal resolve this?

My concern is that I have 5 days to return the box to FS for a refund within my 30 days. The tech said I have a lifetime warranty with this box because I have all 3 services from them (phone/internet/TV) and they will look after me, even exchanging the box if required for another Pace or a Motorola or credit my account what I paid if they cannot resolve the problem.

The sale no longer seems to be on at FS or LD, they are back up to regular price so not sure what to do. Any advice? Anyone else experiencing these glitches/pauses since the new firmware months ago?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm not a field tech and I hate to second guess them but if the issue was a signal issue then wouldn't the drop be in the same spot when you rewind the recording? just my thought. I would suspect that yes there may indeed be signal issues as well but there could also be an issue with the Expander itself. Is it a western digital by chance or a Seagate?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I assume it is a Western Digital expander since it says "WD serial Number...". The tech tried to explain the audio glitches being in different spots when rewinding as something to do with the buffering of the error correction and the unit being overloaded etc. I'm a former computer tech and it seemed like a bit of double talk but what do I know? I think I will unplug the expander and see how it performs without it.

I will call Shaw again and get a second opinion of what to do. I'd hate to have to swap it out right now because it's almost filled with stuff I've yet to watch (even though it is irritating at best to watch like this).

I think the box and expander is a good value at $200, but only if it works - so for me the jury is out on the Pace just yet.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts