Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
6412 HD is 160GB, that's why. You can always get an expander for $150 (or make your own), and add 1GB (or more).
6412 is actually 120GB

·
Registered
223 Posts
In terms of buying an expander, is it worth it to add to this model of pvr (6412) since it's an older model? Or would it be better to wait and upgrade to a newer pvr - say the 3400 500gb model?
If you're thinking of upgrading anyway, then 500GB will probably be good for a while, especially if you're used to only having 120GB. But if it works just fine, maybe there's no good reason to update anytime soon?

·
Registered
54 Posts
6412 upgrade

If you need more space, then go ahead and buy an expander or build one for the 6412. If you ever upgrade to a 3400 you can move the expander as well.
I've had no problems with my 6412 pIII, except the space. I've done the external format of a 1GB HD and then put it internal and it works great.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I just got my Pace replaced with a DCX3400 yesterday, and even though it's only been about 19 hours, I LOVE IT!! It seems way more responsive in everything you do (even scrolling through the guide), and it doesn't seem to have any of the issues the Pace had. I was all worried about losing the full-screen guide and hardware zoom, but it took me all of 5 mins to get over the guide, and I programmed the # button on the remote to control my TV's aspect ratio, which basically does the same thing.

I don't even care about all the recordings on the Summit I've lost, because it's so nice to finally have something that works! Shaw recommended formatting the harddrive on the Pace to try to fix the 1-min recording problem, so I would've lost everything anyway. If I had any idea of how much better the 3400 seems to be, I would've tried to get it replaced a loooong time ago!

The only current issues I'm aware of with the 3400 is the handshake issue with receivers (which I don't use, so couldn't care less about), and also when pressing the Info button while looking through your Favs list, it goes back to the beginning of the list when you press Info (or Last) again. I'm sure the Fav thing will be fixed soon anyway, but it's not something I care that much about either.

So in my short experience so far, the 3400 is ten times better than the Pace ever was! The expander works with it too, so I reaaaaaaaaally see no reason anyone would ever want a Pace. I think Shaw will give up on them pretty soon if they haven't already...
@antonk: The Fav jumping to the top is a know issue that was introduced by the lastest guide firmware. (it's listed on wiki: How to use a DVR and affects user on Comcast as well it seems. Several other known issues with the new guide listed on wiki but most are minor.

·
Registered
223 Posts
@antonk: The Fav jumping to the top is a know issue that was introduced by the lastest guide firmware. (it's listed on wiki: How to use a DVR and affects user on Comcast as well it seems. Several other known issues with the new guide listed on wiki but most are minor.
Sorry, yeah, I forgot to separate it and mention that it was actually a guide issue (rather than a 3400 issue) which will eventually find its way to the Paces (or hopefully be fixed by then). But that supports my point even more that at least in comparison the DCX3400 is nearly perfect!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Had a shaw guy out to work on weak signal in my house. Knowing I have a 6412 III, I asked him about the new boxes and expanders and which he recommended. He said none of them, and admitted he was embarrassed to say that. He's got the new pace and has had no issues but he's seen / swapped out so many boxes of both the pace and motorola that he recommended I wait to see if the next one they come out with is any better. He even said the expander is fraught with problems and that even though they claim to have fixed them, they have not. Not exactly a vote of confidence.

Frankly, I can switch to Telus and get a free pvr and not have to worry about this. I wish there was a better option at the moment.

·
Registered
737 Posts
From someone that owns, or owned, Motorola 6412 Phase II and Phase III, Motorola 3416, Pace Tahoe, Aspen and Summit and Motorola DCX3400 - I'd take 3400 over any other. I think 2TB is largest at this point.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Currently based on customer feedback I have received, the Motorola DCX3400 has been received very well and so far has less known challenges than most of the Pace PVRs. Customers who have had both DCTs have reported liking the DCX3400 more than the Pace.
We all have our own opinions, as already shown in the responses of this thread, however for me personally I would go with a Motorola DCX3400. Granted it has less recording space than the 1TB Expander with the Pace however if you read through all the threads here you will find that the Motorola seems to have a lot less complaints than the Pace.
Still going with the DCX3400. Pace has had some recent challenges with 100% full and others that would still tip the scales for me to getting a DCX. Which I have now done by the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2TB physical drive is supported with 2tb of recording space? So total of 2.5tb? If so, oh boy! I'll have to swap out my pace and 1tb drive!

·
Registered
3 Posts
dcx3400

I have just arranged to swap out my Pace for DCX.
Is the current model DCX3400?
My CSR said it does not support an external HD is that true?
Will my Expander bought with the Pace unit work on the DCX?

Tim

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Remeber content recorded by the Pace can only be played back by that Pace DCT so you will not be able to access it once it's connected to the DCX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pace summit & pvr expander

Just got back from Shaw after swapping my Pace Summit for a DCX3400.
They also wanted the expander back which I don't understand.
CSR (counter person) said the pace unit does not have a hard drive in it so in order for an "apples to apples" swap they want the expander. If I don't return it they are going to bill me $150 for something I already paid for.

So for me to argue intelligently can someone confirm whether the Pace unit had a hard drive in it?

She also said the expander would not work on my older moto 6412 I think she is mistaken I will test and post back results.

But since I do not have the Pace unit anymore (Yay) I can't confirm or deny the precense of the hard drive.

Forum please help

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The Pace Summit is simply an HD box (no hard drive). It becomes a PVR with an external hard drive (Expander).

If you bought it as a PVR package, then the Expander is part of that package and would naturally need to be returned. If you bought each device separately, then you shouldn't have to return it to Shaw. But if you're expecting a straight up exchange (PVR for a PVR), then it makes sense that you should have to return it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Just got back from Shaw after swapping my Pace Summit for a DCX3400.
They also wanted the expander back which I don't understand.
CSR (counter person) said the pace unit does not have a hard drive in it so in order for an "apples to apples" swap they want the expander. If I don't return it they are going to bill me $150 for something I already paid for.

So for me to argue intelligently can someone confirm whether the Pace unit had a hard drive in it?

She also said the expander would not work on my older moto 6412 I think she is mistaken I will test and post back results.

But since I do not have the Pace unit anymore (Yay) I can't confirm or deny the precense of the hard drive.

Forum please help
Summit by itself is not a PVR until the Expander is attached as cooper83 mentions. It make sense that if you want to swap the summit and expander (together making it a PVR) for a Motorola you would need to swap both pieces.
As for the Expander working on the 6412 I don't believe any of the 6412 models have a SATA port on the back to be able to connect the Expander to. I know some versions of the 6416 have this connection (mine does) but other 6416 models do not as well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've had the 3400 (2 of them) for over a month now...love them. Even nice looking.

The Pace boxes look like giant 1984 Clock radios...awful.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts