Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my vote for the best radio ad in Canadian history! I'm sure everyone here from the GTA has heard these ads before, they have been running for over 25 years. That's right I am referring to the hilarious "It was a rainy day in Pizzaville..." guy. Right now Pizzaville is featuring their picks for the best commercial of the past 25 years on their homepage, so you can enjoy them again...and again.

www.pizzaville.ca/vote

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My first job was working in the ad agency that wrote and produced the spots. Very amusing folks who produced some good quality work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really!? That's awesome! I've always been oddly curious as to what that dude looks like. What company procuded the spots if you don't mind me asking? Are they a Toronto based company?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I don't know the production house or who the on-air talent was, the ad agency went out of business about 15 years ago.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
We all don't live in Toronto. ;) Let's be honest and change the title of the thread to "Best Radio Ad in Toronto" since I doubt many other Canadians know of it. The material sounds like something Monty Python would have done in the late 1960s.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
To be honest, the advertising material was very bland. I'm actually surprised it lasted 25 years. I would have given the campaign two years at the most.

Hope the pizzas aren't as bland as the ads. ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Here is my vote for the best radio ad in Canadian history!
Oh my! Surely you jest. That is the kind of English accent that drives me around the bend. Remove his adenoids please. I would get off my death bed and crawl accross the floor covered with glass shards in my bare bum to turn that obnoxious guy off. It really does take all kinds to make a world doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm with stampeder, change the title to "Best Radio Ad in Toronto", although not sure "best" is the right word here.

I have relatives that work in advertising and there are much better radio ads out there than these.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't know what the best ad is, but I have a new favourite for worst radio ad in Toronto. There's a new condo community called the Mercer, and the ads have singers singing "Mercer Mercer Me" to the music of Marvin Gaye's "Mercy Mercy Me". Absolutely brutal! What does "Mercer Mercer Me" even mean?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It doesn't have to mean anything. Marketing nowadays is about creating buzz not necessarily about selling a product.

As far as Pizzaville pizza tasting bland it's one of my favourites. Certainly better than the "cardboard-and-cheese" offerings from Pizza-Pizza.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Let's face it folks. ALL ads are a PITA with few exceptions. Canadian commercials seem to be coming out of one ad agency and they use a whister instead of tin ear musicians. The Can. Tire ad with that discordant whistle. If they do write a "melody" it consists of two notes. A car commercial comes to mind, the same two notes pounded out (don't remember name of car). I am with moderator 57 who says he does not watch commercials (or listen either by extension). Yes I am aware that without commercials many programs would not be available. The best commercial I ever saw or heard was for Coca-Cola. The off camera voice said "And now a word from Coca-Cola". What happened next was a frosty bottle of coke being poured into a tall glass. Lots of fizzing foaming and gurgling sounds etc. At the end a voice over said "refreshing". Just the one word. And yes this is a bit off topic.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Marketing nowadays is about creating buzz not necessarily about selling a product.
I don't know any marketer who would agree with you on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would change the name if I could, over sight on my part when making the post. Wait, wait, wait, I just saw "Lets All Hate Toronto," a few days ago, so let me give you an answer more appropriate to what you expect from me...If it's the best one in Toronto, it's the best in Canada....ohhhh snap! ahaha just kidding, I love all of Canada! Even if their radio ads are sub par ;)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I don't know what the best ad is, but I have a new favourite for worst radio ad in Toronto. There's a new condo community called the Mercer, and the ads have singers singing "Mercer Mercer Me" to the music of Marvin Gaye's "Mercy Mercy Me". Absolutely brutal! What does "Mercer Mercer Me" even mean?
They're all doing that now, unfortunately. Butchering songs to advertise condos.
A year (or couple) ago there was "Loft was in the air" or something along those lines.
This year, the mercer
and just 2 nights ago I heard a new one.. can't remember what song it was based on, but it was equally as bad.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have to agree with Stampeder; the ads seem a Monty Python rip off. They do repeat the company's name frequently, a good practice when learning to write ad copy, however. To call them the best radio spots ever in Canada is Toronto-centric and hyperbole, of course; after hearing them more than 3 times, they make me thankful for the CBC.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
To call them the best radio spots ever in Canada is Toronto-centric and hyperbole,
Last time I looked on a map, Toronto was in Canada, therefore, by definition they certainly can qualify as being the best Radio spots in Canada.

I certainly can understand that the ads may not be everyone's "cup of tea" but having worked for the company that created the ads, I can attest to their success and how well they were received in the advertising community.

Finally, I will remind posters of a very important rule we have on the site which is very close to being crossed by several posters.

Abuse of other members is not tolerated - denigrating other members with criticism and sarcastic comments is not acceptable. This includes belittling a members city, town, province or country. We welcome diverse points of view but we will not tolerate illegal, obscene, rude, racist and intolerant behavior.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
They're all doing that now, unfortunately. Butchering songs to advertise condos.
A year (or couple) ago there was "Loft was in the air" or something along those lines. This year, the mercer and just 2 nights ago I heard a new one.. can't remember what song it was based on, but it was equally as bad.
And of course, who could resist "Quando, Quando, Quando" re-done as "Condo, Condo, Condo".

My favourite commercials were from the early cellphone days...
  • A pun-filled commercial for Cantel...
    Guy 1 - We want to sell you our cellular phone
    Guy 2 - Stop repeating yourself. Who's phone, anyways?
    Guy 1 - Cantel
    Guy 2 - Why can't you tell me?
    (You get the drift)
  • An early FIDO commercial with a serious announcer, but in the background there were a couple of dogs having a "conversation" with various barks, whines, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts