Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing a couple of Denon AVRs (the 3310 and 4310) due to network card failures and am in the market for two new ones.

At that price point ($1500-2000) I know they are all going to sound great and have more features than I need.

What I'm curious to know is who has the nicest OSD and best Network Control via browser and iPhone app.

Anyone have thoughts on Yamaha vs. Pioneer vs. Onkyo along these lines?

Cheers

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough-

I agree the 4310's OSD is pretty nice, but alas, the receiver has other serious faults (has been in the shop 4 times now to replace a network card).

So lets treat that as the minimum -- Can anyone recommend a receiver (make + model) which looks better?

Thanks!

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I've ordered the Pioneer SC-37.

I looked at the new Yamahas online but the local guy said he doesn't even have pricing yet.

The Pioneer comes with a 3 year warranty in Canada, and after my Denon experience, that is a great feature.

Much appreciated.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well....

Denon replaced the network card to fix the problem, but you are correct, this could just have been a symptom.

My problem was that the unit stopped responding to http requests, stopped reporting an IP address, and stopped providing sub menus which had to do with network information (Firmware update, upgrade, network connecting etc.) The unit would then degrade to the point where video switching would not work, volume would not work and other major issues.

Denon is still unable to solve the issue and has admitted that some users suffer multiple failures. They were curious about other components on my network and my internet provider.

Can I ask you how you 'fixed' these units that D&M Canada could not?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Cfraser. I'll send that to Denon's manager in Ontario for him to read.

It very well could be the problem as the symptoms seemed to get worse with time.

That is,
- first, the unit would drop off the network
- then slowly the menu items that were menu related would stop working and sometimes hang the unit when selected
- finally other things in the unit would start to fail, like volume control or video switching etc.

Denon has finally admitted to me that I am not the only one with multiple failures, and I think I'm probably the first guy in Canada they have arranged a refund for.

I personally can not (and don't) recommend Denon to anyone anymore. The build has some obvious problems and their service, while doing the right thing in the end, took months and months of time from me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.