Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
If there's a local computer liquidator or discount store near you they usually have good prices.

I picked up the HDMI cable I needed at the local Factory Direct. IIRC it was $10. Same for the optical cable.
I don't trust those noname Factory Direct HDMI cables at all.

At least some of them are pretty thin gauge (30?), and one I bought wouldn't even work at all with some of my equipment. Some issue with the port. I couldn't return it either because it was a final sale. The only time I've had a similar problem is when I bought an el cheapo cable at Active Surplus, and I think that one may have been a used one.

Anyways, I tend to order from Monoprice and Blue Jeans. For basic ones it actually ends up being cheaper or the same price for a higher quality cable, although you have to wait a week or two for it to arrive. I just keep one extra cable around just in case for emergencies, which keeps me from having to buy el crappo surplus cables, or having to spend $50 on some mid-tier brand name somewhere.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
NCIX usually has HDMI cables on sale every week. Especially good deal for Vancouverites who can pickup instore and save shipping $$$. I've bought quite a few HDMI cables from them and the quality is very good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
re:monster vs rocketfish vs phillips

ya bought the rocket fish because we needed to set up the PS3 on christmas day......sux..... cause we went to Costco the next day and bought twice as much Phillips cable for less$$$

and by and far...

what's the difference.....i see no difference.... other than my wallet was lighter after soooo many trips out buying this cable and that cable.....

why spend the $$$ on monster???

phillips all the way!!!

hands down winner!!!!

IMHO

ud

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
HDMI cable will start making difference when you run longer length like 20ft or longer and running deep colour. At 50ft (or is it 60ft... I can't remember) my regular cheapo cable can't pass through deep colour signal from my BDP-09 to the projector but my Monster HD1000 can without any hitch (also at the time I don't pay full retail for the HD1000.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would say the best HDMI cables and other stuff for that matter have to be from the cable company. I got my 2 HDMI-HDMI cables, 2 component cables, 3 DVI-HDMI cables, co-ax cables and splitters, and universal remote controls for free from cable company (Comcast) when I was working in the US. These are all hi-quality stuff, not just dollar-store quality stuff. The component cables are 12 and 15ft long, ball-pen thick. The DVI-HDMI cables are 12 and 15ft long, with ferrous-core RFI filter and are 1080p60 capable. I wonder if anybody also got free stuff from cable companies, etc. north of the border.

For Toslink cables, I bought a few 12ft ones from NCIX for $6.99 each. Insertion force is a bit more than I would like but otherwise works perfect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My monoprice order from Dec 31 just arrived yesterday. Got the 22awg 25' for $25US. That is one thick cable, thicker than a 14awg power cable. Gonna be fun pulling that wire through the wall.

Now if only the BO AE4000 would arrive.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
yup. 22 AWG is the size of the individual cables inside the sheath. Multiply that by numerous connections inside and you get a stick of a cable. (yeah, it's as stiff as a stick).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Dell is having one of their days of deals, and one of today's deals is an HDMI cable with swiveling ends. I once lost the HDMI connector from the back of my LG DVD player, partially because of the weight of the cable and the angle at which it was connected (player was side by side with TV, so the cable "pulled' the connector to the left and slightly down). I wonder if this cable would have saved my player. Anyhow, it's only $10 which is two thirds off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We are doing a half-house gut to the walls renovation and while I was attracted to Monoprice's prices on longer HDMI cables, I decided to buy a Belden based 35' cable from Blue Jeans Cable. Looks great, tests ok, going in the wall today.

One thing that swayed me was I could get overnight shipping from Seattle to Vancouver for 29 bucks; FedEx with HST prepaid means no customs delay. Called BJC mid-day Monday to order the 35' HDMI and a 35' optical and woofer cable (a splurge) which they made up on the spot and all arrived on Tuesday. Given their shipping is faster and more reasonable than Monoprice (for heavier items) the cost was very competitive with Monoprice.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts