Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
do they ship out of the US with all the duty customs issues?
No issues. If your order is less than $25, you pay no duty or broker fees. At their prices, you can get several HDMI cables for under $25. With a larger order, even if you did pay duty, it wouldn't be huge and you'd still save money versue buying overpriced cables at local electronics retailers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Picked up a "For the PS3" HDMI cable from Walmart.

I used it to hooked up my PS3 to my Samsung 55" LCD.

And when I went to configure the PS3 HDMI output, it refused to output at 1080p, only going to 720p.

Does this indicate a bad cable? I don't have the packaging so I don't think I can return it.. :(

·
Registered
319 Posts
Claw,
I see no HDMI output selection in the PS3.
What makes you think it's not outputing at 1080p?

Is your TV 1080p display , not just recieve?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Geoff,

According to another site , I'm attempting to connect my PS3 to my system using "Case 5" here:

Case 5: PS3 connected to a recent vintage HDTV with HDMI and connected to an older AVR via optical digital audio cable (i.e., Toslink).

In this case you should use an HDMI cable to connect from the HDMI output on your PS3 directly an available HDMI input on your HDTV. Then use an optical digital cable (i.e., Toslink) to connected the PS3 digital audio output to an available optical digital input on your AVR. Your AVR will receive the digital audio data (with the PS3 set to provide bitstream output via it optical digital audio output) from the PS3 via the optical cable. The AVR will decode/process it then output the audio to the connected speakers. The HD video will be sent directly to your HDTV via the HDMI connection. Note that optical digital is limited to only carrying the basic Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound formats (essentially as provided with DVD players but in some cases with BD's you will get somewhat higher bit rates) and cannot carry the highest fidelity surround sound formats supported on some Blu-ray Discs. This is a limitation of having an AVR that does not support HDMI inputs, but in this case the PS3 can be configured to still be compatible with your existing equipment.

Suggested PS3 Audio and Video additional Settings for Case 5 (starting from XMB and Settings drop down menu):
XMB >>> Settings >>> Display Settings >>> Video Output Settings = HDMI >>> Setting Method=AUTOMATIC
XMB >>> Settings >>> Video Settings* >>> BD/DVD Auto Output Format (Optical Digital)=BITSTREAM
XMB >>> Settings >>> Sound Settings >>> Audio Output Settings >>> Select the connector..= DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL)
* "Video Settings" was called "BD/DVD Settings" with PS3 firmware prior to version 2.50

That's the HDMI output selection. When I go to test it, it's not displaying the 1080p option. The 720p is there, along with 1080i.

However, if I use my component cables (the PS3), it gives me the 1080p option.

The TV is a Samsung LN55A950, which should be 1080p.

Send me a PM - don't want to derail this too much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always purchase, Startech cables, for computers and HDMI, the HDMI
cable i purchased, is very well shielded, thick rubber insulation, etc...
and i paid $20.00 CND for a 15 feet cable, and it never caused, even
a single glitch of any kind.:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hdmi cables

just bought new lcds for the house. didnt buy hdmi cables yet because cost in stores was crazy. what should i look for on the net because these prices are 1/10 the cost??/ same quality? thanks so much for any advise.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
If there's a local computer liquidator or discount store near you they usually have good prices.

I picked up the HDMI cable I needed at the local Factory Direct. IIRC it was $10. Same for the optical cable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got 4' ngear hdmi cables from Ncix.com for 5.53$ each. They work perfect with 1080i and lower signal but would not work with 1080p. I'd check out monoprice for good deals and cable capable of handling 1080p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Retail stores (Future shop/best buy, etc) do not make money on their TV sales, but instead make money on the accessories. People always compare prices on TV's between different stores, but not on the VESA mounts/cables, so stores tend to overprice them -- by a lot!

Ordering on line is a good idea. Typically they're the same quality of cables. One thing to look out for: if you're using HDMI 1.3 devices, make sure that you buy a 1.3 certified cable, as the older cables may not be able to handle the bandwidth at 1080p with deep color. We're finding right now that between some devices that you might get 'snow' (small white dots) appearing on your image if you try deep color over an older cable. If the cable is 1.3 certified, however, you will get exactly the same video quality from the $10 online ones as you do from the $200 store ones (and when I say exactly, I mean absolutely 100% identical)

John

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've got a couple 1.3a certified cables from monoprice for like ~$15 shipping included, so ~$7.50 each.
A cable can only be so good, so unless your "no-name" ones are frayed or cut or something, you should receive similar performance, and definitely not a justification for 10x the price (or more!)
This is especially true with digital video and error correction with modern devices

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I saw $10 HDMI cables at HMV of all places. They were located in the PS3 accessories section.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How about Monoprice! It does have good deals on cables and they are pretty good. My friend has bought them and used them so I got the suggestion from him. Prices are cheap and with shipping it would cost around $10.00 for a DVI to HDMI cable 6ft i think not too sure so check out monoprice

·
Registered
31 Posts
Philips HDMI cables

I have been using three 1 metre long Philips high speed 1.3a HDMI cables purchased at WalMart with excellent results. Philips is one of the founding companies in the development of the HDMI specification.They sell for around $20.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts