Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Darth Sound said:
... believe me...
Sorry, although what you say may be true of dollar store cables, any "good" cable will do the job just fine, especially when discussing digital signals, which this thread is doing. See the first post of the following thread.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30452

I have never seen a "double blind" test indicating otherwise, even with analogue signals. However, as you say, throrough research will rarely lead you astray.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Darth Sound said:
...however if you have spent $10,000 or more on the home theater of your dreams, trying to shave off some money on the cables is playing silly.
Spoken like a loyal Futureshop employee.

What is the saying, plan to spend 10% of your total purchase price on connectors? Now that is just plain silly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
understanding the difference with Monster and other HDMI cables

Hey

I am looking into getting an HDMI cable for my TV which is a Sony 50" Grand WEGA 3LCD Rear Projection Television. Now I have been to http://svideo.com/index.html and they have great prices however I have seen some good deals on ebay ie Monster Cable Ultra 600 HDMI Cable for HDTV 4 FT for $30 I am trying to understand the difference between and monster cable ultra 600 HDMI to a MONSTER CABLE HDMI400-2m HDMI 400 and the HDMI cable from http://svideo.com/index.html. PLEASE HELP ME NOT UNDERSTANDING THE DIFFERENCE.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The difference is the price

Ranger22,
The difference may only be in the price. Monster has high (and I do mean HIGH) prices and some other retailers do not.

Buy an inexpensive cable, try it. Buy a Monster cable at a retailer that allows returns, try it. Then decide which you think is the better cable and the better value.

Some things to note about svideo.com; their HDMI is currently at a reduced price, the "free shipping" option will take a long time, other shipping options are available there ( avoid the UPS shipping as they will scalp you).

Monoprice.com has earned my repeat business with great prices and great service. I currently use several of their HDMI cables and their 5X1 HDMI switch. They've got a ton of stuff on an easy to use website: take a look.

Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I just ordered an HDMI M/M cable from tigerdirect. They have great prices fast shipping and good products. Dont hesitate to use them for what you need.

·
Registered
13 Posts
svideo.com

Ranger22 said:
Hey

I am looking into getting an HDMI cable for my TV which is a Sony 50" Grand WEGA 3LCD Rear Projection Television. Now I have been to http://svideo.com/index.html and they have great prices however I have seen some good deals on ebay ie Monster Cable Ultra 600 HDMI Cable for HDTV 4 FT for $30 I am trying to understand the difference between and monster cable ultra 600 HDMI to a MONSTER CABLE HDMI400-2m HDMI 400 and the HDMI cable from http://svideo.com/index.html. PLEASE HELP ME NOT UNDERSTANDING THE DIFFERENCE.
I ordered a 6' HDMI cable from svideo.com on April 9. It shipped via free parcel post on April 11 and I received it on April 24 (I live in Calgary). It seems well constructed and fits and works perfectly. Total cost? $12.85 US, including shipping. Hard to beat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For people who bought from monoprice, did you have to pay any custom duties charge on the cable. And which shipping method did you use (USPS air parcel or USPS express). Their price seems very good but I would hate to get some outrageous custom duties or duties agency charge added to the price at the end which would make a good deal become a bad deal. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hdmi cable diff b/w 1080p and i???

at fshop guy was telling me only the most expensive (of course) monster would support 1080p and the cheaper ones 1080i, doesnt seem right but the monster packaging supported what he was saying.

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
This is not correct. Inexpensive HDMI cables can handle 1080P just fine. Component video cables also handle 1080P. Sometimes the input on the TV, or the output on the device cannot handle the signal, however, the cable is not to blame. More Charlatan marketing by Mon$ter, and of course the stores who wish to maximize their profit and commissions.

Here are the specs for the US$5 HDMI cable at Monoprice:

Connector Type: HDMI male to HDMI male
Connector Finish: Gold
Length: 6ft
Gauge: 28AWG
# of conductors: 19
Conductor Plating: Tin
Shielding level: Triple
Shielding type: EMI
Ferrite Cores: Yes
Net Jacket: No
Built-in Equalizer: No
Supported Resolutions: 480i to 1080p
Rated Bandwidth: tested to 165 Mhz
HDMI Certified: Yes
HDMI Spec: 1.2a
HDCP Compliant: Yes
CEC Compliant: Yes
ROHS Compliant: Yes
1.3 Device Compatible: Yes
Supports DVD Audio: Yes
Supports SACD: Yes
Supports TrueHD & DTS-HD: Yes
The resolution is about 1/2 way down. I checked the specs for the premium cables - 22, 24 ga and they were identical from a signal standpoint - construction is different of course.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Just an FYI. A CL2 rating on the cable means they have been approved for in-wall installations. If you don't plan on putting them "in-wall" you don't need CL2 rated cables. Some of them come with a "net jacket" as well. I personally prefer the "net jacket" as I find the cables don't "stick" together so much. Monoprice.com is your friend.

Cheers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought the hdmi cable from monoprice to test because people just say cable is cable and we are talking digital signal. There is no different in picture quality.

Just like to say it is ALL wrong. I have the latest Furutech v1.3 HDMI cable. (HDMI 1.3 certified) It is a much better cable than what you get from monoprice.

I have another friend that is using the monoprice cable came over to check it out. He noticed the same thing right away. But is he going to buy one? I doubt it.

I told my other audiophile buddy, and he bought one without even seeing the comparision.

You can find out the price of the Furutech cable if you like to as 99.99% of the people will settle for a "working fine" cable.. Of course, it won't be 30 times better in picture quality. But the point is if you spent a few thousand $ on a HDTV, why limit your enjoyment by a US$5 cable. Why don't you spend more to get a GOOD cable and get 20 to 30% improvement in picture quality?

Life is short. Just one less night out in the bar and the stadium and you will have a good cable in your hand for a long time. Don't be a "working fine" citizen!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Dropped by FS yesterday to check out cables. WOW they are all monster sponsored or something... Look i ordered up a 900$ plasma. Im not hard core. Her ruff pricing for what i would need in 6ft cables was 500$+ I mean give me a freeking break!

Ill be ordering from monoprice or dropping by compunation as they have a very affordable set of cables in the 20-30$ a set range. I especially like the component/audio 5 wire sets they offer.

I hate getting raped over wires, but she was hot so i listened to what she had to say and tolder i would think about it...

·
Banned
97 Posts
Check out www.avdeals.ca for deals on cables. They are located in Oakville. I also had good luck buying cables on ebay.

I am currently looking for a 16' component cable to run to my projector. Very pricey $$$ but found a monster 1000 for 30 bucks on ebay.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I bought the hdmi cable from monoprice to test because people just say cable is cable and we are talking digital signal. There is no different in picture quality.

Just like to say it is ALL wrong. I have the latest Furutech v1.3 HDMI cable. (HDMI 1.3 certified) It is a much better cable than what you get from monoprice.

I have another friend that is using the monoprice cable came over to check it out. He noticed the same thing right away. But is he going to buy one? I doubt it.

I told my other audiophile buddy, and he bought one without even seeing the comparision.

You can find out the price of the Furutech cable if you like to as 99.99% of the people will settle for a "working fine" cable.. Of course, it won't be 30 times better in picture quality. But the point is if you spent a few thousand $ on a HDTV, why limit your enjoyment by a US$5 cable. Why don't you spend more to get a GOOD cable and get 20 to 30% improvement in picture quality?

Life is short. Just one less night out in the bar and the stadium and you will have a good cable in your hand for a long time. Don't be a "working fine" citizen!
20-30% increase? Give me a break. Are you telling me the cable "cleans the image up" as it sends the signal? Or is it that the "bandwith" of the lesser cables is to blame? Or how about this one, hich one has the bigger effect on image/sound quality, the player or the cable? Will a cheap player with an expensive cable work better than an expensive player with a cheap cable?

Your 20-30% quality increase for an expensive cable is preposterous.

41 - 60 of 133 Posts