Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I picked up a HDMI cable on ebay for 99 cents - with shipping it was about 10 bucks. While I waited for it to arrive I went and got a $150 monster cable from Future Shop to compare the two - I'll tell ya there is absolutely no difference at all. Monster is the biggest joke in the electronics industry. I feel for all the poor souls who don't know any better (or who have no backbone to tell the overly pushy salesmen 'no thanks')

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cobalt

I just ordered the Ultimate HDMI cable from www.cobaltcable.com.

They have an excellent reputation...cable was $90, but you get 20% off right way if you enter the coupon code buyhdmi .
Or, you can call the 1 877 toll free number and order that way. In any case, ALL cables bought before Dec 31 get the discount, and they offer free shipping (at least in the USA).

MM

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too bought a HDMI cable and an optical toslink from monoprice.com. Both work perfectly and the total was $15 with shipping. I just had a friend at work buy the Monster HDMI cable from the sony store for $150 and got him to return it and buy it from monoprice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hdmi phillip or rca

Try visiting your local walmart for an inexpensive cable.. I have seen Phillips and RCA brand HDMI's at a reasonable price. Also, the RCA HDMI is a corporate cousin to its AR HDMI. My Monster rep hates when I questions how a $50 cable is the same as his $200 cable. Remember, it is all digital. As long as you have a good secure connection at teh base, you should be fine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Unless you are in a terrible rush, why would anyone pay $50 for an HDMI cable from Walmart when you can have them delivered to your house for about $10.

·
Registered
80 Posts
what exactly are ferrite cores? monoprice has HDMI cables that are gold plated and have ferrite cores at each end. The plasma I have ordered (coming tomorrow!) comes with ferrite cores to wrap around cables too. Do they reduce interference or something?

·
Registered
15 Posts
ebay Cables

I ordered a 6 foot HDMI cable from ebay on Jan 20th and received it on Feb. 1st.

I plugged in the cable and I get a picture on the HD channels, the 500's.
When I change to a non-HD channel my screen shows no signal.
I was only able to get a picture by going into the Rogers settings and changng the screen view to fixed.
The problem with this is that all non-HD channels have bars on the side, and they are all shown at 1080i.
I can stretch the picture to fill the screen, but I need to know if I am doing something wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.
I have a Rogers 8300 HDPVR, connected via HDMI to a 50 inch Samsung HLP5063W.

Thanks,

JH.

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
You need to run the setup wizard on your STB properly to enable the proper formats for your TV. See the Digital Home FAQ "Tips for SA STBs".

You should probably be operating in "Auto-HDMI" after that...

·
Registered
15 Posts
HDMI/Component Hook-up

When using component cables, there are no problems.
As soon as I hook up via HDMI, I have the problem.
I tried keeping both component and HDMI hooked up at the same time, but my TV doesn't recognize that the component cables are there, I only have the option of HDMI.
I had already gone into the set-up screen and allowed all formats to be viewed, and had the screen set at pass thru.
When I try this with the HDMI cables, everthing is OK until I get to a specific format, I can't remember which one, the screens shows no signal and I have to unplug the STB and the HDMI cables and go back to component.
If no one has any other suggestions I will call Rogers and see what they suggest.

JH.

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
I have the following suggestions to try.

1. Only have one video cable connected - HDMI in your case.

2. Some TVs have "issues" with some formats. Try deleting the format that causes the problem. For example delete them all except for 480i STANDARD and 1080i in the advanced setup wizard. (Or 480P STANDARD and 1080i)

3. Which make/model TV do you have? Does it accept 720P for example and did you have 720P enabled in the wizard?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hdmi

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have been trying a lot of things the last couple of days and I think I am almost there.
I have a Sammy HLP5063W.

JH.

·
Registered
49 Posts
beppy said:
how long does shipping usually take on ebay, and on mono
Ordered an HDMI cable from Monoprice on a Thursday morning and it was at my door the next Friday, so just over a week. Can't say how much longer it would take to get to Ontario.

I'm pretty happy with the service, price, and quality with Monoprice. I'll definitely buy from them again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's a place called CompuNation here in Ottawa (google will find their site) and they carry BAFO, Belkin, and Startech dvi->hdmi cables, which are all priced quite well. Some people are faithful to whatever name they've had good expereinces with in the past...I've heard good things about belkin and startech, but haven't had much experience...yet.

Anyway, here's an article that I found reprinted in a few places online that can help shed some light on the purchase...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/DVI_HDMI_connections.htm

Later

·
Registered
1 Posts
Monster's the best

I imagine, not everybody can afford to spend $200 or more on a cable, however if you have spent $10,000 or more on the home theater of your dreams, trying to shave off some money on the cables is playing silly. Good cables are a vital component of the system, cheap conectors, poor insulation and increasing unnecessary lenght, will, believe me , decrease the quality of sound and video. So do a thorough search before risking your investment at the weakest point: THE CABLES.

Darth Sound:cool:

21 - 40 of 133 Posts