Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a good HDMI cable about 8' long....I was in best buy and the only one they have is one from Monster for about $250....and not nearly 8' long.

$250 is just downright stupid for a cable....what's a good alternative for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I ordered and received yesterday an HDMI to DVI cable for $16.25 US (shipping charge included in price) from http://svideo.com/index.html affiliiated with Yahoo . I found out about this site from a posting on this forum. I trust you will find your cable and the price is great Hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
andrew.r said:
I ordered and received yesterday an HDMI to DVI cable for $16.25 US (shipping charge included in price) from http://svideo.com/index.html affiliiated with Yahoo . I found out about this site from a posting on this forum. I trust you will find your cable and the price is great Hope this helps.
I purchased my HDMI to DVI cable here as well. Works great and was shipped within about 1 week.

Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
ordered the 6ft DVI-HDMI cable...now all i need to do is watch all my recorded content and upgrade to the 8300!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ordered that 3 ft DVI-HDMI on the 2nd jan/05 still waiting in Alberta...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered my HDMI cable Dec. 31st and it arrived on Jan 10th. Not bad given New Years holiday in there. The only thing that bugged me about svideo.com is that there was no other communication besides the confirmation. No shipment notice or tracking number. I had to email them 3 times to get an answer on the shipment date.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just a quick question here, since it seems to be on topic. Tigerdirect.ca sells two brands, MCM, and Bafo. The Bafo cable is significantly cheaper and I was wondering why. Is there a difference in quality here? Or is it just a case of where one is manufactured over the other or something.

For a 6' HDMI cable the MCM is $47.99, and the same length in Bafo brand is $33.99. Just wondering why I should pay $14 more for one brand over the other for the same length/type of cable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ElPietro said:
Just a quick question here, since it seems to be on topic. Tigerdirect.ca sells two brands, MCM, and Bafo. The Bafo cable is significantly cheaper and I was wondering why. Is there a difference in quality here? Or is it just a case of where one is manufactured over the other or something.

For a 6' HDMI cable the MCM is $47.99, and the same length in Bafo brand is $33.99. Just wondering why I should pay $14 more for one brand over the other for the same length/type of cable.
Bump in hopes of an answer to this.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
There may be a difference in quality, or it may simply be pricing. Neither brand means anything to me. One may have better connectors, maybe not. The signal should pass through both the same.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ElPietro said:
Cool, thanks guys. It's not like $14 is a big deal, but I'd rather not spend extra if there isn't a particular reason to.
What boggles the mind is that there is actually a market for Monster to sell a DVI or HDMI cable at $169+ CAD. Gee whiz, just imagine if we spent that on each USB/SCSI/firewire/RS232, etc digital cable that we bought for our computers.

Better yet, imagine a Monster IDE ribbon cable inside your computer for the hard disk controller for $150 (on sale). Lets see, that'll be $800 for that new P4 Tower, and $1500 for all the copper wires inside.

A digital cable is a digital cable. If you can find one for $2 then go for it. It will certainly work just as well as monster's $169 as long as its in working order.

Now, you won't find them for $2. But certainly there is no reason not to buy the cheapest HDMI/DVI cable you can find.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Registered
575 Posts
One more place for inexpensive HDMI/DVI cables and adapters:

monoprice.com

(57 - you may wish to add this to your FAQ)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, they do, unfortunately, I guess living in a small hick bordertown like toronto means it's impossible to buy these things at retail unless you want to pay the "rape me without lube" pricing that 2001 or future shop charge.

I just wasted my lunch break driving to Tigerdirect only to be told they are only available on their bloody website.

I guess it's too much of a technological leap forward for them to fricking put a line somewhere clearly stating "online only."

Man I'm pissed. I waited till today for my tv to arrive, to get these cables and now I'll have to have them shipped. I had to buy some component cables instead to make due until whatever I order comes in, and then can hopefully return them.

*flips tigerdirect the bird*

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was thinking of picking it up. I was warned on my thread about DVI to HDMI, that it's better to order it online.

No worries, your cables should arrive in 3-4 days. I got it on 3 days. *thumbsup on tigerdirect.ca

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got it

HDCowboy said:
I ordered that 3 ft DVI-HDMI on the 2nd jan/05 still waiting in Alberta...
Got it around the 13 of January and it works great!!!!

That's the svideo.com cable for 16.25 US shipping included

·
Registered
91 Posts
HeaTransfer said:
One more place for inexpensive HDMI/DVI cables and adapters:

monoprice.com

(57 - you may wish to add this to your FAQ)

Cool, I just ordered a 15ft HDMI cable from them for my PJ.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I forgot to post but I recieved my HDMI cable and it works GREAT!

I was expecting far less for the money paid, but it works well with my setup.

I'm going to use them again for other cables I need now...

1 - 20 of 133 Posts