Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hai I am presently in Hamilton. I want to get a new phone (IPhone4 or any other best phone with 3 year contract) with the following facilities at lowest cost
1.Should be able to make calls to Toronto
2.Should be able to make calls to my home country Srilanka
3.I need to have data package as well
what mobile carrier I should go?
Thank you

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
1 & 2. You can make calls anywhere with any carrier. However, if you want to make local calls into Toronto, you'll have to get a Toronto area number. For calls to Sri Lanka, you're probably better off using a 3rd party long distance company. Some target certain areas of the world.

As for the data package, you'll have to find whichever carrier provides the best deal for you. Until Sept. 30, Rogers is offering 6 GB/month for $30.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I think the only company that offers service in Hamilton and will let you make free calls to Toronto is Wind. You will have to ask them what the LD rate is to Sri Lanka (info may be on the website).

·
Registered
617 Posts
However, if you want to make local calls into Toronto, you'll have to get a Toronto area number. For calls to Sri Lanka, you're probably better off using a 3rd party long distance company. Some target certain areas of the world.

As for the data package, you'll have to find whichever carrier provides the best deal for you. Until Sept. 30, Rogers is offering 6 GB/month for $30.
There's more options out there then just the big 3.

WIND gives you unlimited calling from Hamilton to Toronto (and any other WIND home zone) for $35. Ulimated data is also $35. There's also a promo now for data a half price for a year. Calling to Sri Lanka is 15c/min

And you don't have to sign a contract to get any of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hai
Thanks for the suggestions...Problem with the WIND is they dont have much variety of phones to offer..
So I am planning to get Rogers student plan $50 package with UNLIMITED canada wide talk option.
With Rogers I can choose IPhone4 , but since it is out of stock now planning to get IPhone3GS.
Any suggestions with this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
You are locking yourself into 3 years contract that will cot you about 2500 bucks. If you decide to change your mind and get out it will cost you hundreds or more

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
...and by not going with rogers and settling for another carrier that he's unhappy with the selection of devices, he is going to spend about $2500 but will be able to cancel his service whenever he wants. That is really useful because many people don't need to have a phone every month :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hai I am presently in Hamilton. I want to get a new phone (IPhone4 or any other best phone with 3 year contract) with the following facilities at lowest cost
1.Should be able to make calls to Toronto
2.Should be able to make calls to my home country Srilanka
3.I need to have data package as well
what mobile carrier I should go?
Thank you
How many minutes a month do you plan to call within ON?
How many minutes a month do you plan to call to Sri Lanka?

If the answer to #1 is 'not many'
and #2 is 'many', then wind is your best choice.

For comparison:
Rogers to Sri Lanka: $0.80/min with no plan
$5/month = $0.45/min

Wind to Sri Lanka: $0.50 with no plan
$5/month = $0.15/min

If you call Sri Lanka for one hour (60 mins) per month you're spending $32 with rogers (on the $5 plan) while only $14 with wind.
Over the life of a 3yr contract, that's saving almost $650.
In other words, the cost of buying any phone you want outright and using it with wind.
If you talk 2hours a month to Sri Lanka, you're saving even more.

So, add it up.

Rogers $55/month * 36 = 1980
+ $150 phone = 2130
+ cost of calling to Sri Lanka = 180 + x minutes*$0.45

Wind $65/month (unlimited talk/text/500mb - save $20 if you don't need unlimited) * 36 = 2340 - 120 promo for first year of data = 2220
+ $500 smartphone = 2720
+ cost of calling to Sri Lanka = 180 + x minutes*$0.15

If you call one hour a month to home, that's 2160 minutes
With rogers' student plan: 3102
Wth wind's unlimited talk/text + 500mb and $500 for the phone of your choice: $3044

In other words, the deciding factor here is how much you call home, and how set you are on having an iphone (which won't work with new carriers)

You could also get an unlocked phone on wind and use wifi + voip.ms to call sri lanka.
Robelus have this blocked, though, as far as I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi recneps77, really thanks for your reply and time..u did it all the math for me..

with the introduction of CallPhone in gmail , the calling minutes i needed are much reduced in both options..
so i have decided to go for Rogers with IPhone 3GS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts