Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing in wall speakers including an in wall subwoofer (to reduce clutter in the room which is used for multiple purposes.) I want to figure out the best location to put the in wall subwoofer.

The sub is a IWS250 Ridley Acoustics 10 inch In-Wall Subwoofer.

The room is squarish at 14 x 16. I have access to the North wall which will have the TV centred in it. The East wall has a fireplace and some shelving. The South wall has a couple of windows. The West "wall" is open to the kitchen but does have a little stub of a wall which is about 1 - 2 feet long with pillars.

So do I put the in wall subwoofer in the NE corner in the East wall? This would allow for two full adjacent walls where the sub is.

Do I put it in the NW corner? This would be where the short subby wall meets the long wall.

Somewhere else? Does height matter?

Also, the manufacturer's instructions are to put some soundproofing insulation above and below the wall cavity containing the in wall sub.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What is the purpose of "soundproofing insulation?" Insulation won't do a thing at low frequencies. Any in-wall or in-ceiling speaker will broadcast sound right into the wall as well as the room

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The general rule is to experiment by placing the subwoofer in various parts of the room and listening. Your sub should not be boomy and should integrate into the system. If all you hear is thumping of LFE then you've made a mistake.

In other words, it is virtually impossible to answer your questions without some experimentation and ideally with some measurement using some of the sound tools available to you on today's higher end A/V receivers.

In my home theatre, I was restricted in where I could place my sub so when I brought it home, I used Paradigm's sub woofer software which allowed me to tweak the sub-woofer for optimal performance.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
1. Most in-wall speakers are designed to be in an enclosure that is roughly 4-6" deep x 16" on-center studs x about 8' high. The short wall may therefore conflict with this "ideal" - although the speakers or sub may have instructions on how to counteract a non-ideal situation.

2. Regarding insulation, most speakers do contain a product similar to fiberglass insulation, so in-wall speakers also often benefit from same, rather than simply being a "hollow" space.

3. Hugh, placement of an in-wall sub obviously has more restrictions than a standard sub, although there may be in-wall subs that have some form of feedback analysis.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Please keep in mind that frequencies below 350Hz or so are really immune to the absorption qualities of insulation. Building the enclosure in a massive fashion would be much more beneficial for isolation, if isolation is even a desired goal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With an in-wall sub, is there potential problems from vibrations through the walls? If the sub is anchored to the walls framing, could it create annoying vibrations in duct work and other things in the wall? Also is placing the sub in the floor an option?

·
Registered
42 Posts
"With an in-wall sub, is there potential problems from vibrations through the walls? If the sub is anchored to the walls framing, could it create annoying vibrations in duct work and other things in the wall? "

Absolutely

·
Banned
72 Posts
The best solution for hiding a bass loudspeaker is an infinite baffle subwoofer or a 4th order band pass.

IF you have a basement or attic or closet above, below or adjacent you can use an infinate baffle subwoofer or you can even use ABS sewer pipe to create a 4th order bandpass LFE into the room and just have the port on the visible on the wall.

Google infinite baffle, transmission line and even better 4th or 6th order bandpass subwoofers.

That Ridley Acoustics is very expensive for just a 10" woofer in a frame. Ridley Acoustics is famous for almost 20 years for ye old rock speaker. One of the most successful STENCIL importers of FINE mainland china gear in the UK actually. (Being facetious... I don't know who they are YET give me five minutes LOL I smell a STINKER)

"For almost a quarter of a century, the engineers who have designed and built Ridley Acoustics loudspeakers have constantly strived to create the finest of loudspeakers using cutting edge materials and innovative design."

WOW 20 years to design an inwall and rock speaker sold at Sears, Canadian Tire and Canada post !?!

PS don't trust reviews from Plasma.com et all as they are the importers and sellers of that product at HD.ca They make it sound like it's a 20 year old famous loud speaker house when in fact it's a British Stencil importer like say... Omega etc who make and design NOTHING. Those same speakers are available from the manufacturer and anyone can stick their names on it... even the rock speaker dude from the UK :eek:

PSS the Chinese importer Stenciler is Var Distribution, Inc. and the legal "biz guy" is Gary M Nath. Nice guy as he HORDS trademarks like a Domain Horder. Real classy Law firm to hire... NOT

http://www.yourtrademarkia.com/correspondent-gary-m-nath-1-453655

http://www.trademarkia.com/ridley-acoustics-77886648.html

PS and bloody S If he's been in business "For almost a quarter of a century" why did Var Distribution, Inc file a trademark in 2009 !!!

HONEST OUTFIT ehh!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts