Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

i'm a first time caller, long time listener.

there has been many posts about home theater set up's, but i was wondering what is the best home theater in a box for under 1000 beans. i'm getting my toshiba 65h82 delivered tomorrow and i've decided i need a new surround system to go with it.

any recommendations??

thanks,

zky

·
Registered
322 Posts
I haven't done much research, but I did hear the Yamaha DVX-S100 and it sounded excellent. From a DVD perspective, this HTIB doesn't give anything away to dedicated players, with Faroujda DCDi and Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro-Logic II, Dolby Digital EX, DTS EX, and DVD-Audio.

See http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6733219-8-20783980-4.html?tag=txt for a review. Last fall it was over $1000CDN, but it looks like it should be just around that price now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you can spend a few hundred more, say $1300-$1400, I would recommend an entry level system made up of individual components such as:

DD/DTS receiver $400-$500 (entry level brand like Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC, Panasonic/Technics, etc.)
DVD player $100-$150 (many brands to consider)
5.1 speaker system $700-$850 (Energy Take 5 w/ sub or Paradigm Atomsx2 plus matching centre and a Sony SAWM40 sub)
interconnects and speaker cable $50-$100 (Radioshack)

This type of system would sound a lot better than HTIB's (due to much better speakers...which are the weak point of many HTIB's) and each component can be upgraded later.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
What he said...

You may even be able to get the store to "throw in" the interconnects. Separates are definitely the way to go if you have the space.

There are a fair number of speaker "5.1" systems that will blow away the speakers in a HTIB.

If you're buying the TV at the same time, additional discounts for the entire package should be possible. Take your time, you'll have to live with it for a while probably...

A separate DVD is a "must" - you can then upgrade when you have the $ to take advantage of future developments - "EDTV" players, DVI connections, HD players in a few years, etc.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
From what I sell:

* Panasonic SA-HE75 A/V Receiver
* Panasonic DVD-S35 Progressive scan DVD player
* Sinclair Audio SA240 5-piece surround speaker system
* Sinclair Audio SA800 8" 150Watt powered subwoofer
$ 1,199.

or

* Panasonic SC-HT400 A/V receiver and speaker package
* Panasonic DVD-S35 DVD player