Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my major Buffalo stations as reported by tsreader (and overlayed with the Hauppauge Monitor):

So from my Hamilton location, WIVB is in line with WKBW, with WGRZ a little less. All appears to be pretty usual here with WUTV just barely getting a lock, and WNED competing up there with the big boys. The errors indicated all occur as the station is tuning in, and not after.
Just curious which Hauppauge tuner you use. I have the 1600 but I hear that it is one of their worst ones?
TIA
Paul

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use the HVR-1250. I now have two in separate systems. To me, they are awesome...especially compared to the tuner that my Samsung TV uses. Now the drawback to these cards is that they are software based encoding, which means they use up more CPU...but with dual and quad cores, and the amount of RAM in systems now-a-days...does that really matter anymore. On the plus side, they are sensitive, and cheap. Just make sure you have a free PCIe-1x slot available.

If you want to spend a little more, you could pick up a 2250. They are a dual tuner card with hardware capabilities. As far as I know, they use the same type of tuner and surrounding circuitry as the 1250, so they are just as sensitive.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the HVR-1250. I now have two in separate systems. To me, they are awesome...especially compared to the tuner that my Samsung TV uses. Now the drawback to these cards is that they are software based encoding, which means they use up more CPU...but with dual and quad cores, and the amount of RAM in systems now-a-days...does that really matter anymore. On the plus side, they are sensitive, and cheap. Just make sure you have a free PCIe-1x slot available.

If you want to spend a little more, you could pick up a 2250. They are a dual tuner card with hardware capabilities. As far as I know, they use the same type of tuner and surrounding circuitry as the 1250, so they are just as sensitive.
Thx for the reply. I think the 1250 is discontinued (?), but if I find it on sale I may get it to add and keep the 1600 as backup. I wish I got the 2250 but it may not have been around at the time. I am not sure what is different between the 1250 and 1600 but if the 1250 is better I'll try it out.
PS I wish I could get WGRZ, WIVB, and WKBW as great as you as for me WGRZ is next to impossible here in North York.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think the 1250 is discontinued (?), but if I find it on sale I may get it to add and keep the 1600 as backup. I wish I got the 2250 but it may not have been around at the time.
Canada Computers in North York has three HR-1250s supposedly. There is also stock in Vaughan. Both locations also show stock for the HVR-2250 as well

Found this info:
1600 - Has a hardware encoder
1250 - Doesn't have a hardware encoder

1600 - Uses PCI and has two separate inputs for Analog/Digital
1250 - Uses PCI-Express and has one input that can do both

1600 - Doesn't have the Dolby Stereo Decoder
1250 - Has the Dolby Stereo Decoder

They say that the 1250 is a true hybrid. The 1600 may be a dual tuner, but supposedly it doesn't say this in the manuals.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx Marbles 00 for the info, the 1600 is a dual in that it has one digital and one analog tuner therefore separate inputs. With a splitter I can use both but I stick with Digital TV. I'll consider a 1250 if it is as good as people say and no worse reception wise than a 2250.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts