Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built a Heath Robinson version of a GH antenna with no reflector, using No. 12 wire on piece of plywood. Reception was fairly good. Got about 10 channels. I am planning to build something more decent and have enclosed TVFool info.

1. is a GH4 adequate or should I go for a GH6?
2. Most stations are out of Boston (157 deg.), but two important (to me) stations are channel 9 (345 deg) and channel 11 (29 deg).
3. I'd like some opinions on the following configurations:
- GH with no reflector
- GH with reflector oriented SSE toward Boston
- GH with reflector oriented North.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dcef31f2f7eeb6e

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I think a G4 (with NARODs for your channel 11) will do a fine job for you aimed south. Youll still be able to pick up the strong backside north channels, and channel 9 is very strong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
300 ohm, Thanks for the prompt reply. Maybe I sounded like I know more than I really do. Can you tell me where I can find plans and dimensions for the antenna you recommend?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Another option is a multi-lobe antenna. I have a GH in my profile that turned out to be the perfect ant. for the Eastern basin of Lake Erie. It picks up all available markets with signal strengths between 70-90% and all without the need for a rotor . Might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BBB- Baffled Beyond Belief

Thank you 300ohm and Loveota. I' in the process of building the GH4 per 300ohm's suggestion. Then I'll tackle the Multi-lobe. The thing that baffles me is how one arrives at these configurations. My forte was monopulse feedhorns and cassegrain reflectors which are fairly straightforward. I'm sure there are some educated deductions that lead to these designs. I can imagine starting with a straight piece of wire having some relation to the wavelength, but the logical or instinctive deductions that lead to the final product are beyond me. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts