Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine asked me to help him buy a laptop. I am buying a computer on behalf of a another friend so we decided to goto Best Buy today after seeing some deals in the flyer.

I had picked out a $1,249 HP Desktop package that I had seen in their weekly flyer and my friend picked out a $649 HP Laptop which was also featured in their flyer. My buddy was also going to pick up a copy of MS office for $349.

We went to buy the advertised specials and guess what? Both were out of stock. It appears they don't have these products despite being prominently displayed in the weekly flyer.

This just one hour after they opened. BUT they would be happy to sell us some more expensive products.

Result is Best Buy lost $2250 worth of business.

I checked the front to see if there was anything stating these products were unavailable and they were not.

I'm tired of the bait and switch.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Did you check the local store(s) stock online, prior to driving there - if so, was it incorrectly showing that store had the product? If this was shortly after the product was supposed to go on sale, perhaps they hadn't received it yet. I've had that happen often enough I check for stock before leaving the house.

What was their explanation for not having the product? Not yet received, had some but sold out, or did you not inquire?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said the store didn't order those computers despite those items being HP computers found on page 3 and 4 of the Best Buy flyer.

Honestly and truly, I really didn't expect them not to carry any stock of two major items advertised in the first few pages of the flyer!

If you're local grocery store has a Coca Cola promotion on the front of its flyer, you kind of expect the store to have Coke products in stock when the sale starts! I would never think to call the store and ask them if they have the stuff in stock before going there.

IN addition, this was not on day seven of the sale on an item in the back of the flyer. It was an hour within opening on HP products on the HP days sale.

The two sales rep made it clear, they did not order either sale computer but they could sell us more expensive ones which were in stock.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Maybe I'm going a little off topic, but why do u even bother with BB for computers?

I'm guilty for not checking out the laptop to compare it to others, but there are many other excellent and probably better substitutes available. I'm a fan of Canada computers, they've got great pricing on products from Asus, Acer, and heck even HP.

They also show you stock levels for all their stores too.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you are off topic and if you read my post, you'd know that these computers weren't for me.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Always check the availability on-line before going to the store. We have two Future Shops in downtown Montreal, and more than once did I find a popular product available in only one of the two stores. The flyers are only local to the territory, and NOT to the individual stores.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Very poor business practice. However being in the boonies I generally would order online or check stock and even phone a store before heading out.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I am not surprised. Advertising products that are not available is a common tactic with this company. It has happened to me on more than one occasion. Once, I received an inferior replacement product.

On a similar note, someone else recently purchased on of their frequently advertised HP "refurbished" computers. It was DOA. Yet another waste of time. He ended up building his own.

But honestly Hugh, I thought you have been around long enough to know that HP no longer makes the best computer products on the market and that BB/FS are not a good place to buy anything. There are lots of deals on laptops from many retailers and etailers these days.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no problem advocating HP laptops.

My experience has been positive with two HP laptops and according to Consumer reports who has reports from thousands of laptop owners, HP is tops in laptop reliability.

I find Lenovo overpriced, Sony and Toshiba ridiculously overpriced, and Acer to be of poor quality. Dell and HP are really the only two laptop brands I would seriously consider.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I find Best Buy to be a waste of time, and have run into similar advertised sales but no stock before,

as far as HP, I've had several different brands of computers, desktop and laptop, and find HP to be far better in quality than any of the rest,

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have called stores before to verify stock and was told yes lots, only to show up and have someone tell you there is none. (and they didn't sell out in the 5 minutes it took to get there, it wasn't a sale item, just a regular item).

It's not a perfect solution, but if you get a no answer at least you won't waste your time, only if they say yes :p

Advertising to me is almost like lieing these days. Showcasing products that are not available, marking up items to put things on sales, adding a digit to a SKU so that it can't be price matched and then saying the price can't be beat.

All I can do is vote with my dollars, and like hugh said above they lost money, so have the companies that I have had dealings with, they have lost my money.

PS. On the HP note, my wife and I both had HP laptops and hers died in 3? years and I can't move my screen or I get pink lines, also about 3 years old. I still use mine, but as a secondary computer on my desk, I don't move it anymore (used to work out of town). Still functions except for the screen issue. Might try to use parts from hers to fix mine hehe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts