Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
That is exactly what I did - I got a unlocked Nexus One, got a Rogers PAYG simcard, paid for a $100 voucher that doesn't expire for a year (before which I'll top up to extend the expiration date) and I buy a $2.99 data day pass whenever I'm on the road and outside of WIFI coverage. Only way things could be better for my needs is if Rogers came out with a data month pass! (Can't really do much tethering with 20MB :))
Is the 20 MB sufficient for the occasional GPS usage along with a few Google searches and a few web hits?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Depends on how your GPS works. Preloaded maps? Or is it google maps that needs to download on the fly?
Should be fine with preloaded, but if you need to download maps because of a route deviation, you may need more. (depends on how big an area you're covering)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Depends on how your GPS works. Preloaded maps? Or is it google maps that needs to download on the fly?
Should be fine with preloaded, but if you need to download maps because of a route deviation, you may need more. (depends on how big an area you're covering)
Yeah it'd be google maps most likely. Unless there's an app that would let me preload the maps.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yeah it'd be google maps most likely. Unless there's an app that would let me preload the maps.
I haven't really tried to figure out what I use up the 20 MB on - I typically get the day pass when I'm on the road and I do check Google Maps from time to time to get oriented, but I don't use it for turn by turn directions, which I suspect would burn up your 20 MB pretty quickly (though not as quick as tethering :p)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Depending on how many maps you look at, 20mb should be fine.
I used GPS/maps for a very short time and it was about 5MB total
This was just the downtown area, though.
Had you been loading a lot of maps, or at an extreme zoom level, you might get to 20MB quickly.

Add in emails with pictures, etc and you may blow it.

My N1(2.2) has a navigation app that preloads the route, but if you deviate from what it says and have no data connection, it's done. If only they'd give you an option "calculate alternate routes x levels deep" or something :\

Not that I care at this point. I was in a home zone and had all the 3G data I wanted :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
I haven't really tried to figure out what I use up the 20 MB on - I typically get the day pass when I'm on the road and I do check Google Maps from time to time to get oriented, but I don't use it for turn by turn directions, which I suspect would burn up your 20 MB pretty quickly (though not as quick as tethering :p)
Unless you're driving cross country, 20MB should be way more than you need. I've used the turn by turn GPS to go across the city and back with several stops (maybe 30-40 km) and I used 5700 KB of data for the whole day (ie not just maps/nav)

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Based on the fact they specify "Mobile web" I believe that's just for their normal phones (not smartphones). I know technically a smartphone is mobile, but you're generally getting a much better web experience than you would with a basic phone.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hey - on this Rogers page, http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/addons , it talks about a Mobile browsing monthly pass for $10. Is this new or not a data monthly pass like you wished for?

Taxtwit stated:
" Only way things could be better for my needs is if Rogers came out with a data month pass! (Can't really do much tethering with 20MB")
The $10 mobile browsing pass is just for dumbphones, but as it turns out, Rogers just yesterday added a weekly data pass ($7/125MB) and have opened the door a crack for true PAYG data - see this:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1664333-Rogers-to-release-prepaid-Rocket-Stick

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also looks like the Samsung Galaxy S is now available at Bell

No contract - $499
1 year - $449
2 years - $349
3 years - $149

·
Banned
328 Posts
Just picked up the HTC Desire, amazing phone and is light years ahead of my HTC Hero, the Android 2.1 and HTC Sense UI with the Snapdragon chip is super fast and responsive. So far so good :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
How is the N1 with flash 10.1? I've seen a couple videos of it running flash and 2.2 against other high end 2.1 phones and the flash upgrade really seemed to hinder the web browsing speed. With it turned off it looked much faster. I'm more looking forward to the jit compiler.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How is the N1 with flash 10.1? I've seen a couple videos of it running flash and 2.2 against other high end 2.1 phones and the flash upgrade really seemed to hinder the web browsing speed. With it turned off it looked much faster. I'm more looking forward to the jit compiler.
There is an option to set flash to be on demand. So by default it doesn't load it and you have to click on placeholder to download the item.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the X10 and love it

I have a 16GB SD card, so it holds a lot of pictures (or music if you want, but I don't use it for that). Aside from the issue with upgrading to OS 2.2, the only problem I initially had with this phone was the lack of battery life. At first it was hard to get through a normal day on one charge. I installed an app called Juice Defender though, and I noticed a huge, huge improvement in battery life. There are both free and paid versions of the app -- if you have the X10 I would highly recommend it. Phone is very snappy overall, browser is very quick. I have not had any problems with the keyboard.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts