Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Me and my gf are looking for a new tv and planing to buy one next week in Ottawa. Our budget is no more than $600. If possible, I would like the TV to meet these requirements in ranked order:

- 1080p
- Able to play .mkv files from an external harddrive/usb-stick
- 100hz
- Netflix ready
- Internet

All suggestions and tips are welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Mathias

·
Registered
312 Posts
$600 is a lot of money to pay for a 32" set today. I wouldn't spend more than $350 for a 32" now. Most 32" are still 720p and really wouldn't make a noticeable difference if it was 1080p because of its small size. I would spend the extra money on a Blu-Ray player that would play Netflix, USB and mkv files.

·
Registered
53 Posts
32-inch TV

My current TV is the Sony 46Z4100 and it is an excellent TV. I am looking for a 32-inch TV for my bedroom. I will use this to watch TV (no Blu-Ray) only.

I noticed that many of the 720p TV are quite inexpensive (compared to its 1080p counterpart). I read somewhere for a small TV like 32-inch, the 1080p is not too important. Any truth in this?

I see these choices:
1. Sony BX300 $300 (CAN) $400
2. Sharp Aquos LC32D59U $400
3. LG 32LD350 $350 (on sales now @ Dell)

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
53 Posts
IN Futureshop, I see that there are 2 models of Sony 32-inch. One is BX300 ($400) and the other one is BX320 ($450). Both are 720p. I guess the BX320 is a newer model. Not sure if it's worth the extra $50.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
There is no way you should need to pay full retail either. Once you have decided on the make(s) and model(s), shop around for the best price.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I will probably negotiate a better price or wait for a sales.

Sony BX seems to be good but don't know if BX320 is worth the. extra cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would probably get the one with 50 bucks more. Honestly at 32 inches you don't really need 1080p and 120hz features. You can grab a LG which is also good for a cheap deal and still get a nice TV. Me I am a plasma guy. Also a Blu ray player for a 100 bucks can get you all the netflix stuff and will look amazing at uncompressed 720p on a 32 incher.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would recommend Panasonic. Although they are know more for their plasmas, they make really good lcd's. I have a 2007 model 26" Panny. Its a great TV and I can only assume that the 2011's are quite a bit better. Moving in a couple of weeks and I have a 32" Panny on my radar for the bedroom.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I am also looking for a 32 inch TV with similar features as the OP:
- 1080p
- 120hz
- Netflix ready
- Internet

The 32inch LG LE5300 at Costco looks very good (500$). But I think it is not Networkable and does not do Netflix.

My budget is higher, I'd rather have the very best possible 32inch TV.
I am looking at the Sony EX720 & Panasonic DT30 models but cannot see full confirmation that Netflix works on those yet, as well as other networking features.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I believe the new crop of 2011 TV sets will bring a couple models supporting Netflix Canada. This other thread lists and updates the devices supporting Netflix Canada:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=132681

Sony definitely announced they were going to support Netflix Canada in Spring 2011 with these Sony television series: EX521, EX620, EX720, NX720, HX729, HX820, and HX929.

Of these Sony models, I think the EX720 is the best you can get in the 32inch size. The higher models don't come in 32 inch.

Also, some older Sony TVs were now declared Netflix Canada compatible starting May 27th, 2011
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=132732

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a 32" LG LCD (love it) and a Panasonic 46" plasma.

Unless you are sitting with your face 6 inches from the screen, 1080p for a 32 inch LCD is a total waste of money. I barely notice a difference between 720p and 1080p on the 46" plasma sitting less than six feet away.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I'd go with Panasonic Alpha IPS LCD panel. Much better viewing angle, less LCD lag (even at 60 Hz) and more accurate colour out of the box in movie mode.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Searching for a tv two years ago I found that televisions assembled in North America had better picture quality than the once from Asia. Toshiba, Sony made in China had picture, viewing angle, calibration, noise issues. Samsung made in Mexico was perfect out of the box and after two years it still works on the same settings as it came out of the box.
Panasonic was my first choice but at the time it was too expensive for my budget.
I agree with other posters. Within budget get a decent tv, with excellent picture quality, but without extras (Netflix, mkv). Get blu-ray player to play the extras.
Buy where you can return. Picture quality looks different at home than in the store.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts