Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall, the BenQ W20000 still delivers good performance for its price point, but it’s not quite the home run I hoped for.
This is BenQ's flagship DLP projector and is priced at about $5,000 in Canada. Since its too pricey for most of us, you may want to check out the BenQ W5000 for $3,500 or the BenQ W500 which is just over $1,000.

BenQ W20000 DLP Projector

Highlights: Excellent HD video processing • Impressive calibration options and color management • Middling dynamic-iris implementation • Inconvenient onscreen menus for calibration.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Where is the review?

I own a w5000 and from what i understand the w20000 only difference is the dc3 for a bit better black level, most dont find it worth the upgrade as they are otherwise identical.

Would be curious what firmware was used? Anything besides the latest firmware had issues.

Middling dynamic-iris? Curious if you had a bad unit becuase the dynamic iris has been praised on the unit.

I love my w5000 though, i owned 4 projectors and this one has made me the most happy, a good blue ray on this machine which has exceptional sharpness is incredible, almost popping off the screen. Again its very unforgiving, it shows everything razor sharp good or bad in the picture. HD games and good blue rays are breath taking. Bad dvd's or satellite feed will show every defect. I purchased an hdmi flea to remove noise and artifacts from dvd and hd satellite sources and it was an excellent combination.

I also use brilliant color on this unit which gives less accurate RGB D65, but increases the color gamut. And boosts lumens by nearly 50 percent. ON video games its incredible. On movies I had to adjust colors, since bc adds alot of yellow and red I had to lower red gain and boost blue up a bit to get rid of the yellow, it looks very natural and life like yet, it would be hard to tell the difference between D65 and using bc once you make bc look more natural, you simply get a brighter more vibrant picture, with skin tones still looking natural, but of course not D65 perfect. I do find the bc more life like and more puchy with increased brightness. BUt for videophiles that want exact d65 color of red green and blue they wont want to use it.

·
Super Moderator
11,154 Posts
I just saw US$4000 street price. I assume with this kind of performance you really need to mate the PJ with a good viewing environment and screen to appreciate the improvements over the W5000.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the review?
Sorry about that! The link has now been added to post #1 along with a link to the Projector Central Review.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

The improvement in contrast ratio between the 20k and the 5k is about 30% which is par for the course when buying upper scale units.

I had both units side by side a while back shortly before I delivered the 20K to my client friend. The difference is real and noticeable when placed side by side.

The service menu on both units is the same. You can actually make the 5K turn on and announce that it is a 20K unit. :)

20K is a very nice unit with good potential, now that the firmware issues appear to have been resolved.

Look for a unit with FW 2.01 or better.

regards

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmm I dont see an email for kris deering, I am really unsure what he found wrong with the dynamic iris, I still dont really understand. Some people use it, some dont, and some find problems. I have only found option 1 or 2 stated with the benq iris.

Micheal I guess it is a matter of how sensitive your eyes are. I was looking at art from projectorreviews and he stated

"As an additional note, I also took a look at black level performance between the W5000 and the W20000.

There is definitely a difference, however, it isn’t as great as many would guess. It’s just enough to be easily visible on the appropriate dark scenes, but hardly a huge difference. If black level performance is the primary criteria, it would be hard to rationalize the extra cost of the W20000. That said, it depends on how much you are willing to spend to get from “very good” to “even better”, in that regard. On the other hand, black level improvements are exactly the kind of things enthusiasts are willing to spend the bucks on."

Again besides black level the units are identical as you mentioned and art.

It was kind of unfair though in the review to compare rs-2 (best black levels on the market) to this machine. He did not mention that the benq is much sharper then the rs-2 however.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts