Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

441 - 460 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Knowledge Network also shuts down this month. It takes six SD channels for one HD channel. That's five so far. Wonder what is going to replace them? (The Weather Network HD?)

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
I checked a few other provider web sites and the only one that had a confirmation is Telus which resells Bell satellite. The wording is identical for all 4 channels and is similar to other channels being shut down like Cosmo, IFC and Comedy Gold.

"As of December 5th, 2019, the BBC Canada channel will no longer be available due to a recent channel provider change. As such, this channel will no longer be available on its own or within the following packages..."

There was no mention of the channels in the Optik TV section of the Telus web site (similar to Fibe TV), so it's hard to say if it is just Bell satellite that is dropping them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Knowledge Network also shuts down this month. It takes six SD channels for one HD channel. That's five so far. Wonder what is going to replace them? (The Weather Network HD?)

They can get rid of AHC SD for a total of 6 and then add AHC in HD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
One flaw is those that don't have a HD receiver will loose out if the SD channels are dropped. If you got a HD receiver and there's a HD version on Bell TV it won't effect you only those with SD receivers and if there is only a SD version available.

I understand Bell TV has Band width issues. And there basically only a few ways to solve it?

1) get ride of some of the PPV channels? Do really need 30+ PPV channels plus Red Carpet PPV Channels?

2) convert SD channels to MPEG 4 and either eswap out those with SD receivers for fre or reduced cost? Dish did this with there subs?

3) terminate the contract with Dish for the use of their sat at 72(N5 I believe) and use it by going to a 3 sat operation.

4)drop low viewed channels?

But in all honesty I think Bell will eventually sell off Bell Sat or offer those a "Deal" to switch to Bell Fibe(where available)

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Telus Posted November 25, 2019 in their Satellite section that BBC Canada, Cartoon Network and Fashion Television will all remain active and available as individual channels and as part of the theme packs they are currently included in. FYI however will still be unavailable. Since Telus resells Bell Satellite, the same should apply to Bell Satellite customers.

I updated the title of this related thread: FYI Channel shutting down Dec. 2019

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Telus posted the following about Bell's Satellite service that they resell.

Effective January 31, 2020, Canal+ International will no longer be available on Satellite TV.

As of December 13, 2019, the TV Polonia channel will no longer be available due to a recent provider change. As such, this channel will no longer be available on its own or within the Polish Combo.

Telus posted earlier that TVP Polonia will no longer be available on Optik TV as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
At one time, when networks etc had real people working, a notice of some sort would appear on screen indicating a change or something. As we all know most computer programs all need a human to press the buttons. We see it everyday....crawls have spelling mistakes....same stories go on for hours without updating....so it goes but when its time to announce an increase in fees....notices fly like melted butter. Guess we have to enjoy the people less era we are now in!

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Telus posted the following yesterday about Bell's Satellite service that they resell.

"Due to programming changes, AMC will no longer be available as of February 1, 2020. This channel will no longer be available on its own or within any theme packs it is currently associated with."

Bell made similar announcements about Fibe TV. Rogers Cable also had a dispute with AMC's contract renewal a month ago and resolved it at the last minute, so it's possible the same may happen with Bell.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Channel Mapping - It's Time to Fix It Already

The Channel Mapping on Bell Satellite TV is absolutely deplorable at this point.

There's too many inconsistencies and annoyances to mention, for example, the fact that after what? 10 years? we still have duplicate HDs in the 800s, which as someone who has to explain to multiple older members of my family how to use a DVR and fix their DVR and shows, is so dang annoying to deal with.

BUT, today they go and add CPAC in HD, a Canadian channel, and where do they put it? BETWEEN CNN AND MSNBC AND HLN.. All American news channels.

What person at Bell decided this was the perfect spot for this insta-lockout channel.

So frustrating.

I've already had two family members texting me asking for reminders on how to dive into the Locks menu and make a channel disappear because this random canadian snooze channel suddenly appeared between CNN and MSNBC.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Yes and those individuals that don't have a HD receiver? If Bell wants to compete with SD they either need to get Sat 72 back from Dish who's just leasing it from the sat company forgot the name, or convert everything to MPEG4 and give a fre upgrade to those that have SD receivers(Dish this years back for their SD customer, who had way more SD customers then Bells entire sub base) or those channels that are not HD leave those in SD and drop the rest which have both SD & HD Feeds(keep the HD Feeds)and either give a fre upgrade to SD for HD receivers or at vary low cost to replace them.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Bell is only licensed to operate TV service at the 82 and 91 locations. Even if DISH were to discontinue service at 72, that space doesn't become available to Bell. Also Bell doesn't really need additional satellite capacity. All they really need to do is drop the SD services. With all of those gone, they probably wouldn't even need all 64 transponders they are using now. As it is now, Shaw Direct is using 26 transponders between Anik F1R and F2 and 16x on G1. With Bell using 8PSK Turbo on all transponders, they would probably land at approx. the same transponder footprint as Shaw Direct even with all the extra ethnic and PPV channels.

Bell is going to run into the same brick wall with MPEG-2 hardware at some point. Much of that hardware is approaching end-of-life or has already passed it. There may be customer households with SD only equipment but like Shaw Direct customers, they will simply have to upgrade if they want to continuing receiving service.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Holy crap, Bell added The Weather Network HD and CPAC HD, among a few others, today. Now I won't have anything to complain about anymore. Oh, wait... Ontario Parliament Network still totally absent from Bell's lineup. Ditto TVO HD. :rolleyes:

441 - 460 of 476 Posts