Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

421 - 440 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have spent hours in phone trying to add this to my channels @ bell -but they don't know about it or how to add to my channels & how many $

CSR just called back says can't add till after Aug12 free preview end then it should be avail ?
Post if you hear different plse -Thx

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
"should be avail" is just the CSR being cautious, since they don't have any specific info about the channel. Bell wouldn't have added the channel unless it would be available after the preview. It's not unusual for a TV provider to have a new channel on preview and not have it available to add as a subscribed channel until the preview is almost over. My advice is to check again near the end of the preview if you want to get it right away.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Can confirm that 1421 is available in PEI. No flag in the EPG listing to indicate that it a free preview.

Also, I'm suddenly getting AMC but again nothing in the EPG about it being a time limited preview. Any info?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Anyone else notice that the audio is very low on1421 FSR? I have to turn the volume up on my TV from 35 to 50 to hear it properly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
1421 still coming in in MB @ 9:00 am Aug 13- nothing on guide saying its preview? Makes me wonder if its been added for free?? Lol

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Gone from me as well now.
I called them and it is in the BEST package or $4.00 a month a la carte. Bell gets too much of my money now. I will have to think about it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I decided to add. Went online and added via ala carte menu. It was in the guide within 5 minutes. Will probably cancel after NASCAR season ends.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
As much as I'd like to, I decided to pass on FSR, just because the sound is literally horrid.
Not entirely sure what they are doing, because the sound coming from Fox Sports 1 is perfect.

·
Registered
151 Posts
a note from my current Bell bill ...

The following channels will no longer be offered by their content providers: Comedy Gold as of Aug. 30, 2019, and IFC and CosmoTV as of Sept. 30, 2019. If you have any of these channels in a Custom Pack, we will add a replacement channel that you can change at any time

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
@dm_4u: I checked the information at Bell's SRDU website where you can get transponder assignment and other technical information for each of Bell Satellite's TV channels. Under the Dolby column, FSRHD/1421 is shown as "none" whereas all other Fox Channels are shown as "AC-3" (surround or multichannel). That might explain why there's no centre channel sound on 1421 or your comment that the sound is horrid. Hope this helps you.

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Just as an FYI, we get FSR on channel 409 on Rogers. The channel does have a properly encoded DD5.1 signal, with the dialogue coming out the centre channel, etc. I just checked on some drag racing programme.

It is possible that if the original programme is not DD5.1, they may still send DD5.1 that is "improperly encoded" - see more on that topic below:

Here's an FAQ on DD5.1 and the fact that some programming on CBC, etc is often what I call "improperly encoded" since they send a DD5.1 signal all the time, but only the LF & RF channels on programming that was not DD5.1 to begin with:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17870-faq-whats-available-dd5-1-a.html Items 1, 3, etc.

So, a DD5.1 signal is no guarantee that you will get centre channel sound, if it's improperly encoded. Of course if the channel is sending DD2.0, then most AVRs will decode that using DPLII, etc to give you surround sound and centre channel audio, however, if you're getting DD5.1 that's improperly encoded, there's usually not much that you can do, other than change the output of the STB for that particular channel to two channel audio, in which case you'd have to change it back for other channels, or utilize analogue audio connections and switch the AVR to that input, both of which are not great options.

If the problem persists, you may wish to contact Bell and the "broadcaster" in question. I have not found Bell very responsive, however, I have found the broadcasters helpful in some cases.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just got my Bell bill and had a message ... As of December 5, 2019, BBC Canada, Cartoon Network, FYI and Fashion TV will no longer be available on Bell TV

Bell continuing to drop SD channels.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Fashion TV MUST be shutting down completely since it's a Bell owned channel. Why not Book Television while they are at it?

There are HD versions of the other three channels, just not on Bell TV.

421 - 440 of 476 Posts