Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Now to delete the folder you want to remove do the following: sudo rm xxxxxxxx/* (enter password when prompted) and when this has finished do this: sudo rmdir xxxxxxxx - remember that xxxxxxxx is to be replaced with the name of the directory to be removed.
I'm curious as to why "sudo" would be required. I would think "rm" on its own would be fine.

FYI - You should be able to combine "rm" and "rmdir" into "rm -R" assuming it conforms to typical linux conventions :)

If a person isn't familiar with "ls" and "cd" then I would suggest they don't even bother trying this :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I guess I am a masochist of some sort....I called Bell again to follow up on the disconnect issue and they checked into the situation and the guy spoke to his technical supervisor and came back on the line and said they know its a software problem and they are working on it. Again, I asked if they had a target date for a new firmware release , and again they said they have no idea could be weeks or months. :mad:

Well you can be sure that I will not be paying $20 a month to rent a machine that is not working as advertised .....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess I am a masochist of some sort....I called Bell again to follow up on the disconnect issue and they checked into the situation and the guy spoke to his technical supervisor and came back on the line and said they know its a software problem and they are working on it. Again, I asked if they had a target date for a new firmware release , and again they said they have no idea could be weeks or months. :mad:

Well you can be sure that I will not be paying $20 a month to rent a machine that is not working as advertised .....
You are without a doubt tougher than I am, I would be talking to customer service with a mouth full of [email protected]#$ and I would be INSISTING on retribution for all your troubles. Did you call the retention office? If not I strongly suggest that you do. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi

I have a WD 500GB Home Edition drive that I unplug the usb cord when not in use will this cause me any problems? cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can leave the USB cable plugged in and just power the drive up and down (if it has a power switch). You will get a lot less wear on the USB cable and jacks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks it doesn't have a power switch, it goes into a sleep mode the drive stops spinning, can I just unplug the power cord from the back of the drive?cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bell claims they don't support drives that have a sleep mode. See if you can disable that mode (maybe with software that came with the drive). Yes you can unplug the power from the back of the drive or from wall or power bar. If you have an old unused cheap power bar with a switch, you could use that to switch the drive on an off without unplugging any wires at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
USB Switch or Hub

I am presently using a 1TB Lacie with my 9242 Pvr. Works great but is getting full. I want to add a second drive. Should I use a formal USB switch or would a straight forward hub do. I think the hub might screw up the pvr as it may not which drive to read. Can it read more than one drive?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I've never tried it, but I think it can only see one drive at a time, or at least one that appears as one drive to the USB interface (which can sometimes be two physical drives). Your only choice is to try a bigger single disk. I might be facing the same problem too as I have over 80 hours of HD stored on my 1 TB disk.

-Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
Noisy LaCie EHD ?

For those of you that have a LaCie (750GB) , do you find it noisy ?

I picked one up on the weekend hoping it will resolve my EHD disconnect issues and I find the drive has a mild whirring sound like a fan running. This is constant. Also, when the drive is read from and written to , you can hear a mild clicking sound. Most of the time I don't hear it but in quiet scenes you can hear it working and it distracts from the movie.

I thought these things were supposed to be virtually silent. My other two (different brand) EHDs are totally silent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 2 1TB Lacie drives plugged into a simple USB hub I picked up at Wal-Mart of all place for $10 or so .. . . just turn one off and the other on and switching drives is that simple. . . I keep one 'on' all the time. I have tried to keep one drive for movies, one for TV shows. . . . .

Problem: Last nite I just tried to archive my latest batch of movies and woke up this morning to what must be a 'full' HD. . . . won't read the drive and reboots every time I try. I didn't think I was that close to filling it but guess so. . . here's a question?? Do you think the drive is really full, or is it maxed at the advertised 750GB ceiling?? I was sure I had lots of hours left. . .

As for the 'fix' mentioned above in Linux. . . .yikes. . . I'll have to find someone more savy than myself to try it. . . .or 'wait' for Bell to fix it. . .

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks to the existence of this thread, I saw the light and managed to transfer all my recordings from my first LaCie - which was in the "three strikes and you are out" purgatory - to my second LaCie.

Personally I find Bell's policy perfectly reasonably in light of copyright restrictions. However, because the 9242 is so unreliable this rule is nothing else than adding insult to injury for those who had to go through several receiver replacements like me.

I had zero exposure to Linux but managed to run Ubuntu from a CD without the need to install it on my computer (impressive) and followed the explanations in this message. It took me less than half an hour from downloading and burning an Ubuntu CD to starting the EHD to EHD transfer.

·
Registered
332 Posts
After much fiddling with ubuntu, I was able to remove a few files, and resurrect my full drive.

Even a newbie completely illiterate in the ways of the command line can do it. Just takes a bit of reading, patience, logic, hammer and foot.

Further to giant's instructions, you may have to change file permissions before deleting files, I used the 'sudo chown' command.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EHD Full Bug - how to fix?

I have just archived a show on my 500gb Lacie drive and it was showing that I only had 2 hours left. Now I can not access my drive any more. Apparently this is the EHD Drive Full Bug. Can anyone direct me to instructions to remove a show or two using Ubuntu Live CD.

Thanks Doug:confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here's a tip for those trying to delete or transfer files using the Ubuntu Live CD and the other instructions pointed to by this thread. You can execute this command : "sudo bash" (without the quotes) at a command prompt and this will open up a command prompt that has full root privileges so you won't have to mess with permissions. They will be preserved.

I plugged my old and new EHDs to my PC and using the Ubuntu Live CD, I was able to use just plain copy commands (like cp -r ) to copy the numbered directories that contain the files for each show, from one drive to another. I just copied them over and they showed up fine on the other drive after I plugged back into the 9242. Note the second drive was preformatted by the 9242. I did not need to mess with file permissions.

·
Registered
332 Posts
That would have helped me avoid deleting the random show that I deleted. No idea what I'm missing, but it couldn't have been that important

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all,

I have a case with an older 160 GB disk in it. It worked fine for over a month, switching the unit on only when I wanted to archive something or view something.

Now I can't archive anything else. The transfer starts but I get a USB error a while into the transfer and the disk then appears to be empty. I reconnect it and everything is still there, and I can still view archived material without errors.

The disk looks fine under Linux and e2fsck reports no disk corruption.

Any ideas?

101 - 120 of 273 Posts