Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
has anyone tried to hook up more than one external usb hard drive to your 9242? with a powered 4 port usb hub and a couple of external hard drives? did your 9242 recognize them or not. don't have a extra usb hub or hard drives right now or i would try.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bell's Official Statement-re EHD

Effective August 8th 2008

Bell ExpressVu customers with a 9242 HD PVR receivers can now enjoy more PVR storage with the addition of an External Hard Drive. Available online or at Bell World stores, the External Hard Drive will connect to the set top box via USB 2.0 and allow customers to transfer recorded content. Once transferred, the program can be kept, watched or even sent back to the PVR.

• Enables attachment of an unlimited number of USB 2.0 Hard Drives, with only one drive being attached at any given time.

• Maximum Hard Drive size supported is currently 750GB.

• Requires a USB 2.0 Hard Drive with a spindle speed of 7200RPM.

• External Drive must have only one physical hard drive inside; some 1TB drives are actually 2x500GB – this is not supported.

• Requires the External Drive be powered by an AC adapter, not by the USB port.

• Attaching the Hard Drive to any system other than a 9242 on the same account or to a PC will not enable the customer to view the recorded events; the data is encrypted to maintain the integrity of our programmers’ content.

• Customers may only connect the EHD to the STB it was formatted on; any other usage is not supported by ExpressVu.

• Customers move recorded events to the External Hard Drive via a menu; they can then either play content back directly from the External Drive or move it back to the Hard Drive built in to the PVR.

• External Hard Drive details pricing for stores and bell.ca.

LaCie 750GB 7200RPM USB2.0 External Hard Drive (LaCie P/N 301303U): $199.00.

• There is currently no activation fee for this service.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Customers may only connect the EHD to the STB it was formatted on; any other usage is not supported by ExpressVu.
I'd like to see Bell find a way to bind the formatted drive to your account, so that any 9242 on your account (including replacements) could see the content, but no others. That would fix the potential problem of sharing programming with those that don't subscribe, but still allow you to keep your Archives if your 9242 dies.

-Mike

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've also experienced the External Drive disconnect problem. For me , it happens on a GXT ESATA2/USB 2.0 drive enclosure containing a Seagate 750GB SATA drive.

Worked fine until the drive was about half full but after I archived an HD football game to it, my attempt to watch the game or anything else on the drive failed after a short time.
I get a message saying "You have disconnected a a multimedia device from the USB port".

When I try to reconnect the same USB drive or a different one I get a message "You have connected an unsupported device to the USB port" and I cannot connect until I reboot the 9242, after which I can connect either drive.

A similar error occurs if I try to restore a recording.

I can archive to the drive but just end up losing access to the file if I do.

There are no problems with my other drive, a 250GB PATA drive in an older drive enclosure.

It's interesting that files that worked before the first error on the drive will no longer play properly. It's as if they have been changed.

I googled some posts in Dish 622 forums from last year and found the same problem being reported then. It was resolved there a few months ago by a firmware update (as was the multiple PVRs sharing an EHD within an account request).

The Dish firmware update is reported to have made the "bad" drive's contents usable again so it may be worth keeping.

I think Bell's version of the firmware was built from an older release while Dish at the same time corrected bugs/added features on their system. Hopefully we will see an upgrade soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
disconnect problem with EHD

I also have the disconnect problem. I have a brand new LaCie 750 GB (model recommended by Bell).

At first (about a week ago) all seemed to work, but now everytime I access the EHD to play/transfer, after some short amount of time (up to a couple of minutes) I get the disconnect message. Going into multimedia menu then shows no EHD connected. Turning the EHD off and on will reconnect it, but when I attempt to access it, it says I can not because I am already playing/transferring and I must stop this first. Except there is no way to stop it and a reboot of the PVR (unplug and replug power) is the only thing that works. I don't think I will wait for some patch in the firmware from Bell. I think I will just return the drive...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have gone through 2 LaCie 750 drives myself with this disconnect problem does anybody have anymore info on a fix? Can you reformat the drive to work with a PC after the Bell format is on it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sure you can reformat the drive for use on a PC.

Only thing about using it on the PC would be to install the backup software to the PC. This was on the drive before the PVR wrote over it. I think you can download it from the LaCie site.

If you look at the drive in Windows, Admin tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, you can just delete the 3 PVR partitions and reallocate for PC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rather than giving up, I tried calling Bell on this. They did their remote reset magic, but I still have the same problem only now I sometimes get an "unsupported device" message.

So...I got a second new LaCie 750Gb drive. Exact same problem. I can archive to the EHD until I am blue in the face, but as soon as I try and recover or play, I get the disconnect problem...

So...another call to Bell and after 45 minutes of rebooting and re-checking everyting checked in the first call, they declared that it must be the EHD. I explained (again) that I have tried two different identical LaCie 750 Gb hard drives, three different USB cables (one I know works for sure) and both the front and back USB port. At this point they put me through to the next tier of support (someone in Toronto). After listening to me describe the problem I am having (only once thank God), this guy took about 30 seconds to conclude it was the PVR and it would have to be replaced.

The only thing that makes me nervous about this is that I specifically asked if it would be a new PVR (mine is only a month old) or refurbished. The tech said refurbished, but assured me it would be like new with the stickers still on it and everything. We shall see.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought a Cavalry 1TB CAXE USB/eSATA drive. The 9242 is working perfect with it. 133 hours of HD just like the other 1TB drives. This drive has no fan and runs quite cool.

JB47

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
Shoddy User Interface

I am really starting to dislike the user interface for the external drive. It is not nearly as intuitive or easy to navigate as the internal drive interface. The most annoying "feature" is that it returns to the first recording in the PVR list instead of the watched recording when playback is stopped. That means you need to find the recording again to delete it. With several recordings that have generic descriptions (very common in BTV's IPG), that can be confusing and result in deleting the wrong recording. :eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Update.
I bought a second LaCie 750Gb and experience the exact same symptoms, USB disconnect during transfer back to the receiver of reading directly from the EHD after 20 seconds or so.
Just discussed it with Level 3 tech rep at Bell and he says they will come back to me on this tomorrow as today is Sunday.
Since this is obviously a receiver issue, I was expecting that they would propose to replace mine since it has solved the problem in some cases (as reported by someone on the French forum). However, I wonder if they will not try to come up with a firmware patch in the near future instead.
As an aside, and unsurprisingly I suspect, they are aware of this forum and reading this very thread.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Add me to the list of people who have the disconnect problem with a LaCie 750GB drive.

Agree with comments about the user interface to EHD. Would like to add Skip Forward is extremely slow and erratic on my good drive. Almost want to restore programs before watching.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
At this point I cannot recommend this device to anyone.

This evening, I switched External Hard Drives. Twenty minutes into playback the program froze and the 9242 crashed. Finally did a hard reboot. Whenever I tried to list the recordings again on the PVR or manage the external recordings, the 9242 crashed.

Repeated four times with identical results.

Recordings are all gone.

I had read several members in this thread say that drive had been reformatted, combine that with my experience and I would say that the external hard drive on the 9242 is a flop.

I will be contacting Bell tomorrow to see if the data can be recovered and will post my findings on this thread.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes...link ehd to subscriber's account, not the receiver!!! Bell, are you listening?

I agree with others that have suggested that the EHD should be linked to account, not the receiver. I am awaiting my 3rd replacement 9242 and if I lost 40 or so odd movies because my receiver died under warranty, I would be totally pissed. I am already pissed because I lost a pile of recordings from my 2 week vacation.

The current set up defeats the purpose of "archiving" your recordings. Also, the flexibility of transferring the drive to another 9242 on the same account would be a bonus.

That said, given the issues people are having with this new option, I think I am going to sit on the fence for a while before jumping on the EHD bandwagon.

101 - 120 of 330 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.