Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Expand your recording capacity in 3 easy steps:

1. Buy the LaCie 750GB external hard drive (EHD) online or at any Bell store
2. Plug the EHD into the USB Port on your HD PVR
3. Transfer your PVR recordings to the EHD

To connect the EHD to you receiver:

1. Plug in the EHD power source and connect the EHD USB into the USB port on 9242 HD PVR Plus
2. If the hard drive has never been connected to a receiver before, the receiver will ask you if you want to format the EHD- select Yes to format
3. You can now use your EHD
Effective August 8th

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Press the MENU button on your remote, then press 4 for the Multimedia option.

You can then access the External Hard Drive by choosing Option #3 (External USB Device/External Hard Drive) on the Multimedia screen. The External Hard Drive must be connected to select it.

From the External Hard Drive menu, you have 2 options:

* Select Manage Recordings to see a list of programs stored on the EHD.
* Select Archive Recordings to transfer PVR events from the My Recordings list to the EHD.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also noted in August "Show" magazine

Page 54 of the August issue of "Show" has a short article on it.
"ExpressVu's HD PVR receivers accept any external hard drive with a USB 2.0 connection and up to 750GB of storage. Call 1 888 xxx-xxxx or go to <web page> to activate the external hardware function, then simply plug in your new drive and you're off."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Change of plans. You will not need to call in to activate the external drive for archiving recorded events. Once you download the supported software (V182) for your 9242, simply plug in a powered USB 2.0 drive (that falls under the outlined requirements that should be on bell.ca) and enjoy.

Software is going out global so everyone gets it at launch

This is our first crack at it so feedback is welcome as usual but please be kind with your comments

Dags

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wonder if you'll be able to "view" these files on a regular computer? Or if not how long that will take. Not that any of us would do such a thing ;)

·
Banned
181 Posts
You won't be able to view the files on a computer. The formatting of the drive is not FAT or NTFS but rather something proprietary.

Has anybody tried it yet, and if so, what do you think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wonder if this will now give you UNLIMITED capacity.
Can you use multiple drives, like say during the olympics if you recorded everything - then archive the drive and then keep adding new drives as you fill them up ?

·
Banned
181 Posts
Yes. It's like having a library of VHS (or Beta) tapes. However now, it's a library of hard drives.

I'll try to have a drive with movies, then another for special events.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys i just tested this with an old external Maxtor that i had laying around.

So you definitely don't HAVE To buy the LaCie model at the bell store. Has anyone tried connecting a HDD that is >750GB

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
This is the feature that I have been waiting for. Guess it is time to ditch my 9200 and get the new unit. Since my contract has expired and I am still renting, I can tell them I am leaving and see what they offer me!

Of course, if Prentice and my beloved Conservatives get their way, this hard-drive archiving feature will make us all criminals. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ok so there is NO activation fee for the new feature? And its been confirmed that non Lacie drives work?

All I need is a 750gb or smaller USB self powered HDD and im good?

Also, how do I download the new firmware? Is it automatic?

·
Registered
17 Posts
^^^ The receiver automatically formatted the HDD for me. I tested with a Maxtor 200GB HDD.

Anyone try anything higher than 750GB? I wanna get a TB HDD but i was told the max is 750GB

·
Registered
988 Posts
For those wanting to do some permanent archiving of movies, events, etc. there are a few questions to consider.

When a drive is formatted by a particular receiver, is it tied to that receiver or can it be hooked up to any receiver with the appropriate firmware? You would hope it would be portable like any computer external hard drive, but we are talking proprietary here.

If you ever leave Bell, you would have to hold on to your receiver to play your archive, and once it dies...

Of course, all this would be rendered moot if (and when) somebody comes up with a way to transfer files easily.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
DrewSat said:
The formatting of the drive is not FAT or NTFS but rather something proprietary.
I don't think it is proprietary, probably the same as Dish's PVR and that would mean ext3.
It is more than just one partition/logical drive. Probably connecting to a Linux box would tell you more.

If the files are encrypted, pulling them from the drive won't do any good.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
I connected a 200GB WD PATA drive in an older Bytecc USB 2.0 enclosure. It works fine.

Archiving is a little slow, typically about 40% of real time. The 9242 will archive in the background if you select Watch TV while shows are being archived.

The archive process can be halted but returning to the Archive Recordings menu. There is a short delay before the process actually stops.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm a little confused, does this feature only work with the Lacie drive, or can we use any of our own EHDD's and it will format them to the right file system?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hooked up a generic USB external drive this morning and it was formatted in seconds.

Drive works fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too would like to know why 750 gb is the limit? If the drive is ext3, then I don't see a reason for it.

I am wondering if the HD PVR isn't a better thing to add on to a 9242, since you can then put the files on your computer, (only $50 more than the 750 gb usb drive)

http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

But I'd like to hear more reviews of this USB HD support first. I'd hate to start relying on a proprietary format external HD only to find it is buggy and end up losing programming.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Tried a LaCie 1 TB drive!

Stopped by a Future Shop and a Bell World store tonight, but neither had any of the Bell branded LaCie USB drives in stock. FS had a 1 terabyte LaCie USB disk, so I decided to try that (I know about the 750GB limit). Plugged it in, formatted, reboot, finished. It claims I have space for 133 Hours of HD, or 1000 hours of SD, so I believe that’s the entire disk. I thought it might format it out as a 750 GB disk.

The LaCie disk is a black chassis, and seems fairly quiet during the archive process anyway. It does have a bright blue LED that might become annoying. I suppose I could turn it away from me, or move it behind my AV cabinet. It doesn’t need to be sitting out front.

I archived the 2 hour Simpsons movie to see how it works. It claimed it would take 27 Minutes, 51 seconds. Actual time was about 25 minutes so that’s pretty close! You don’t have to wait for it though; you can select View TV and have it finish in the background. If you return to the Archive Program option, it displays the progress bar again, until finished. All the regular fast forward, skip forward, pause features seem to work.

Ouch – the internal cooling fan just started making one hell of a racket! It keeps starting, grinding away, then stops, repeats after a few minutes. Looks like this one is going back! It’s too noisy to do anymore testing; it was going so well too. I'm using the Restore Option to move the recording back to the internal hard disk, so I don't loose it. I hope the fans aren't a common problem it these things. Why do they always make those things so cheap!

Edit: Took slightly longer to restore the event, about 35 minutes. A popup appeared to tell me it was finished.

-Mike

1 - 20 of 330 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.