Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Bell called and offered 25/1 LTE internet for $79.95 - $20 for six months / no modem rental / no contract. I pay about the same for 5/.6 dsl. I'm seriously thinking about it. Jasper ON

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bell Wireless Home Internet has bandwidth caps though
Indeed one should consider traffic volume when working out the cost. Although I have only exceeded 100 gb once in the last 6 months I would probably opt for the 350 gb package and have lots of headroom. Bell announced that the speed will be bumped up to 50 mbps in the Fall. I will probably sign up then. I want to run my own cat6 cable between the radio and the router but there is no way I am going in the attic until it cools down some.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
50 Mbps and even 25 Mbps down would be great, but 1 Mbps upload speed is really not that useful if working from home. If that's all the new Bell rural wireless service has to offer, it will be a flop for home office users.

·
Registered
3 Posts
50 Mbps and even 25 Mbps down would be great, but 1 Mbps upload speed is really not that useful if working from home. If that's all the new Bell rural wireless service has to offer, it will be a flop for home office users.
Yes but what other options are there? I had Storm prior to switching to Bell and still had a 1 Mbps up limit. It was ok until my signal started dropping and they said I'd now need a tower on my property to improve the signal. I'm not even considering Xplornet.

My Bell Wireless Home Internet service has really taken a nose dive since around the time of the Ontario outage. Service contractor came out and replaced all the Bell gear, LTE antenna, router, PoE injector and even the ground coupler and it didn't help. After a second visit he had a bit more info as my tower/sector is embargoed, either due to being overloaded or the Nokia equipment is being swapped out for some other manufacturer's equipment. Even the contractor wasn't sure exactly what the issue was but had two other site visits in the same week and the common factor was we were all on the same tower.

·
Super Moderator
17,487 Posts
Bell expands Wireless Home Internet service to Atlantic Canada

See the press release for Atlantic Canada communities with WHI now available and those coming soon - 70,000 households by the end of 2020 and a total of 200,000 locations over the next 2 years.

WHI has also recently been enhanced to deliver 50 Mbps download/10 Mbps upload which will be available to about 70% of connected homes. WHI operates on a dedicated fixed wireless LTE channel separate from the mobile LTE channel, ensuring consistent capacity and speed for both fixed and mobile customers.

The Wireless Home Internet program is fully funded by Bell as part of the $4 billion capital investment in advanced networks and services each year. It's currently available to more than 400,000 households in Ontario, Québec and Atlantic Canada, and is expected to reach 1 million homes in smaller towns and rural communities across Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Québec, Ontario and Manitoba.

To see if your home is eligible and to learn more about Wireless Home Internet, please visit Bell.ca/FastInternet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does anyone know the login information for the antenna? Not the Home Hub, but the unit with the SIM card in it which is outdoors?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just to mention that potential customers in our area are being told that the service is not available notwithstanding that their neighbours have the service. This draws the ire of those wanting to sign up. What is actually the situation is that the service has proven to be so popular that Bell has embargoed the service due to spectrum capacity constraints.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bell have started installing the Casa Systems CFW-2352 5G capable outdoor unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know the login information for the antenna? Not the Home Hub, but the unit with the SIM card in it which is outdoors?
root/admin works for me (on the CFW-2352)
Although there's basically no meaningful settings that you can change on it, the status page which is already open has the most useful information.

·
Registered
34 Posts
root/admin works for me (on the CFW-2352)
Although there's basically no meaningful settings that you can change on it, the status page which is already open has the most useful information.
Can you elaborate on that some? Does that work when the ethernet cable goes from the CFW-2352 direct to a PC running a browser?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you elaborate on that some? Does that work when the ethernet cable goes from the CFW-2352 direct to a PC running a browser?
For myself all I have to do is go to http://192.168.3.1/ which displays the status page with signal strength and other useful information.

That said however I had my neighbor try it and they weren't able to access it, but they also aren't that technical and I wasn't going to bother them more than I already had. (I was just curious to know what signal strength they were getting)

·
Registered
6 Posts
We signed up for the service about two weeks ago and so far the service has been very mixed
When things are working well the service is amazing in comparison to our old DSL line. But the latency is pretty high (30-100ms) which causes lots of issues. As well at random times and mainly during prime time (5pm-11pm) the latency is so high (300-500ms) that traffic just won't get through at all making it essentially useless between those times. We have multiple calls in with Bell about this but so far there has been no improvement.

I'm pretty sure these issues are specific to the tower that I'm connected to and not the service itself, from what I've seen the service has the potential to be great, especially when more 5G towers come online, but from my own experience so far I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That sounds like a security issue that hackers could exploit. I would change it if possible.
While I agree I'm not going to change it on mine for a few reasons, 2 of which make it a low risk attack vector
a. SSH and other services are blocked and the web interface is very limited
b. The device still sits on the outside of my network, meaning that my devices are still protected
c. I'm not going to change it for Bell, especially when I want them to fix my service
d. There doesn't actually seem to be anywhere where you can change it, I have a suspicion that the root account is limited in some way

·
Registered
34 Posts
For myself all I have to do is go to http://192.168.3.1/ which displays the status page with signal strength and other useful information.

That said however I had my neighbor try it and they weren't able to access it, but they also aren't that technical and I wasn't going to bother them more than I already had. (I was just curious to know what signal strength they were getting)
That worked for me. Thank you.

My signal strength varies between -88 to -90. I am 2.7 kms from the tower and no obstacles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just to mention that my understanding based on Bell announcements was that this service used the 3500 MHz band and indeed when I first looked at the CASA status page it was operating on LTE Band 42 - TDD 3500. Today I note that it has switched to LTE Band 2 - 1900 MHz. Interesting.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
The lower frequency should be more reliable at longer distances. It still won't go through trees though.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts