Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't get it.

I cancelled my Bell phone service 6 months ago and Bell keeps contacting me, but with no offer. I get these cute greeting cards saying that I can come back anytime. I also got a cute notepad with my name on it. Yet, when I ask about pricing - no deals. Sometimes they might offer a special price for 3 months, then back to normal pricing which is $19 more per month than I am paying with Teksavvy phone. I told the CSR that I would like to be a customer for more than 3 months, which was met with silence.

I have heard the sob story about pressure from the CRTC that forces Bell to charge certain rates, but I am tired of hearing this. Are you telling me that the CRTC will not let Bell compete on the open market? I find that hard to believe. How much is Bell spending on these useless mailings of greeting cards, etc.? Why not spend that money on price reductions??

Confused! :confused:

·
Super Moderator
17,218 Posts
Are you telling me that the CRTC will not let Bell compete on the open market?
Yes that's the case for basic land-line service. The CRTC made the rules years ago to allow the competitive telcos (CLECs) to establish themselves and haven't changed since.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
That depends on the area. Many areas are forborne from regulation, meaning Bell is allowed to compete as they wish.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was pretty surprised too when I dropped all my options from my phone line. They basically removed the options without a fight ... and then once in a while I get a call asking if I want the options back.

I keep saying the same thing ... I'm not paying $9 for call display ... and they have no other deal besides giving 2 months for free on the option I choose.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yes that's the case for basic land-line service. The CRTC made the rules years ago to allow the competitive telcos (CLECs) to establish themselves and haven't changed since.
That is exactly right... From memory I believe that the CRTC won't let Bell alone until they lose at least 40% of their market share. Bell won't lower their prices because they are not allowed for now. This is the way the CRTC thinks we will get competitive prices in Canada. This only applies to regulated services of course (like a land line).

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Most of the areas served by major cable companies offering voice services are forborne. I don't believe the 40% is accurate.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I switched to Rogers Home phone a couple of month ago and within a week I got a call from Bell's Marketing Department (so the caller said), offering me the moon to come back. I politely said I called before I switched to see if you would come close to or beat Rogers pricing, and was told this was not possible. Now that I have left you suddenly can beat the Rogers price?? No thanks, I don't operate that way. Since then I have received two personalized cards in the mail asking me to come back, no special pricing, but no re-connection fee. I haven't received the memo pad yet. Must be in next weeks mail (lol)

·
Registered
27 Posts
funny i just received that memo pad in the mail yesterday - along with my "please come back card" - i switched to cogeco for my services a oct 1 and have already received about 10 of these card.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Why compete in anything when you have big brother at the CRTC pounding the tar out of your competitors?

I just got another letter, almost 3 years since I left them, inviting me back. This is about 2 years after I told them to stop mailing things to me because I wasn't coming back. They said they'd stop but...another envelope opened and thrown into the recycle bin.

They offering me a great deal though. Bell Internet with free wireless networking for $16.95/month....then I get the magnifying glass out on the back of the page - 2GB usage, $2.50/GB after that plus $3.95 modem rental. Considering I use 60 GB+ every month, how much am I going to save compared to my now $60 VoIP phone (10 features) + unlimited internet (pending UBB)?

Bell is a joke...and they have regulators allowing them to be one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i'm glad to know i'm not alone in being stalked by bell - they're like bunny boilers.
though, i do feel bad that you guys are also getting stalked.

has anyone been able to get off their creepy 'oh please come back to me' mailing list?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Are you sure that it's really a "please come back" call. Or do they blindly solicit any address that they don't have clients at?

In my case, I get those corny "we miss you" cards addressed to "Resident", from Rogers Cable, telling me about the great cable TV I've been missing since I left. I was the first ever resident in this particular condo suite, so "please come back" is inaccurate. No resident of my suite has ever had cable service.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Bell, from it's start as The Bell Telephone Company of Canada Ltd in 1880, enjoyed a government legislated monopoly on LD, including the buildup of infrastructure across the country at the expense of tax payers, some of whom may never have used a telephone. My grandmother didn't have a phone until 1970. Before that she had to go to the store to make a call.

I therefore have no issue with the CRTC leveling the playing field, and staying the course for decades.

As for telephone service rates, do you think you are getting what you are paying for today vs 100 years ago?? Check out this Bell Telephone bill from 1906.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/498/19040401.jpg

$10 for 6 months of service. The rate of inflation (CPI) from 1914 to 2010 has averaged 3.14% in Canada, so if you extrapolate that same rate back to 1906, today's value in 2010 would be about $498/year. Or about $41/month. That's less than what I pay per month. Now remember, in 1906 telecommunications was in it's infancy, and the infrastructure build-up costs would have been immense.

cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts