Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Bell's "Fab 5" plan as part of my smartphone contract. Since I'm new to this cell phone thing I'm wondering what that means. I add five numbers to my online account with Bell and I can call or text those numbers for an unlimited amount of time?

It doesn't count towards my local calling minutes or towards my long distance (I have a 25 minutes per month long distance plan with my phone)?

What about roaming? Say I'm in traveling in Vancouver and I want to call somebody on my Fab 5 list who is in Montreal? Is that considering roaming?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It depends on whether you have just local Fab 5 or nationwide Fab 5. The nationwide option will allow you to call or text any of those numbers for free anywhere in Canada (no roaming). The local one only allows for local calling only (long distance / roaming charges may apply if you are outside your calling area)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the "Smart 50 Unl 5 -36M" plan (that's what is listed on my bill). I assume Unl 5 means Unlimited 5. Not sure what the 36M means.

My sister is one of my Fab 5 people, and I've texted her several times. She is in Toronto, on the Rogers network, and I'm in eastern Ontario. I notice that I don't get charged for the texts on my bill. The texts are just listed as 0.00 for the event rate.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
That particular plan does include the Nationwide Fab 5. The 36M portion refers to the length of the contract you probably signed when you got your phone (36 Months).

So yes, as long as you are in Canada, you shouldn't be charged anything for calling/texting a number in your Fab 5.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Also, you can change up the Fab 5 once each billing cycle. So if your cousin Fred is no longer fab, you can replace him with the more fab cousin Jane.:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about roaming? Or is there no roaming with Fab 5 so long as I'm in Canada and calling Canadian numbers?

And I take it that I can add land lines or mobile numbers to my Fab 5 list?

·
Registered
528 Posts
For all the questions on Fab5 and/or other aspects of a rate plan, let me make what I hope is a useful suggestion:

Contact Bell support @ 1-800-667-0123. The csr will have all the answers on the details of any plan.

Or, drop into a Bell store (corporate-owned stores like The Source are likely the best): the staff will also be up to speed on the details of plans.

·
Registered
748 Posts
For all the questions on Fab5 and/or other aspects of a rate plan, let me make what I hope is a useful suggestion:

Contact Bell support @ 1-800-667-0123. The csr will have all the answers on the details of any plan.

Or, drop into a Bell store (corporate-owned stores like The Source are likely the best): the staff will also be up to speed on the details of plans.
That should be the way to get answers BUT we all know calling Bell (or other carriers) will mean a long time on hold followed by more time wasted while the CSR trys to sell us something we don't want to buy at the moment followed by another wait as the CSR "looks up" the answer to our question; or worse, guesses and gives us the wrong answer. Retail store staff usually know less than a modestly informed customer and head immediately to a terminal to consult the website which we know doesn't have the answer because we already looked.

So, we use forums like this where we can questions and usually get an answer quickly and without hassle or sales pressure. If CSRs and retail staff were as helpful, hardly anyone would be on these forums.

;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Outin, that may be your experience with Bell, but overall I have had a good success rate in getting questions answered. People should definitely ask for help on forums like this, if they are not getting the information they need and are left no further ahead.

But all too often, people post questions on forums as though they are trying to second-guess the answers on things which should be asked directly. In my experience, go to the source first.

When I hear an upsell in the CSR's script, which usually comes at the end of a conversation, I thank them for the information and end the call. Simple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts