Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently went with BellMTS FibeTV with two receivers (VIP2262 and VIP2202). Prior I had Bell Sat with a 6131 receiver. I always had a Slingbox connected to the Component output and simultaneously had an HDMI connection to my Sony Bravia TV. Both outputs worked without fail, separately or at the same time. Now with the VIP2262, connected by HDMI to the Sony and the Component output to the Slingbox, the component output keeps shutting down. I moved the Slingbox to the VIP2202 and the same thing happens. It appears that the outputs cannot operated simultaneously, which is contrary to what BellMTS tech support told me. On the Sony I shut off BraviaSync (HDMI-CEC) assuming HDMI was telling the 2262 to do something it should not have. No effect. On the other set there is nt way to shut off or even confirm if HDM-CEC is even running. If I run Component only, and make sure the HDMI cable is disconnected the Slingbox works without fail. As soon as I connect the HDMI cable, the Component output shuts off.

I've seen very old posts on this site suggesting this should work. Anybody aware of how to tell the STB to keep all outputs active all the time? This must be a firmware thing giving priority to the HDMI output. Or perhaps there is some kind of HDMI-CEC operating on the devices that gets confused when HDMI is connected. BellMTS tech support is next to useless on this issue. There answer was to get another STB dedicated to running my Slingbox.

·
Super Moderator
17,010 Posts
That is the type of behaviour I would expect if the the Bell MTS receiver is set to 1080p. The chips for component output on most devices are usually limited to a maximum of 1080i, so the receiver disables component in order to send 1080p to the TV. I would recommend setting all 3 devices to the same resolution. For Bell MTS:

Menu>Settings>Television>Resolution> 1080i

P.S. I moved your post to our MTS forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made the change on the 2202 and reconnected the HDMI and so far so good. With the Slingbox on I can see the component outputs shut down when toggling 1080i to p and turning back on when going back to interlaced. I'll try the 2262 tomorrow and see if that also works. Thanks for the advice. MTS needs to learn more about their own gear!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2262 appears to be working now at 1080i. It was stable overnight. I switched it back to 1080p to test and the component worked for about 10 minutes then shut down. A little different than the 2202. Back to 1080i and stable.

I'm assuming BellMTS still only broadcasts 1080p for VOD only, so I'm not losing video quality as a result of this fix.

Does tech support at MTS follow and study this forum. If not, they should! Thanks for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
17,010 Posts
I switched it back to 1080p to test and the component worked for about 10 minutes then shut down.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised it worked at all. That blows my theory out of the water. :)

The 1080p capability is relatively new, so it wasn't an issue for simultaneous output in the past. In fairness to MTS, I doubt that behaviour is documented by the hardware manufacturer (Arris) and few people are doing what you're doing, so they aren't likely to run across the problem. I had to think about it for quite a while and as I was looking through the settings, a light bulb went on.

There are no 1080p channels in Canada or even the U.S. that I'm aware of, so you're not missing anything.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
I believe Bell changes all channels, except OD to 720P, that should probably be your output resolution of choice. However, feel free to experiment with 720P or 1080i.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I screwed up that post.
I think you are 100% correct. Maybe it's just different bootstrap causes the STBs to behave different. I suggest the 2262, having an older bootstrap version 2.8... vs 2.9... perhaps simply delays the composite output shutdown. Either way your solution continues to hold!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts