Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anybody reads these forums anymore, but in case you do
Did anyone else notice a jump in PVR storage size.
Mine was 500 GB and at end of April if was full (old recordings auto deleting)
But on May 1/2020 I checked and space remaining suddenly showed 45 Hrs HD remaining
(without any old recordings having been deleted)
Nice little gift from MTS (Covid related??)
Hope it lasts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't know if anybody reads these forums anymore, but in case you do
Did anyone else notice a jump in PVR storage size.
Mine was 500 GB and at end of April if was full (old recordings auto deleting)
But on May 1/2020 I checked and space remaining suddenly showed 45 Hrs HD remaining
(without any old recordings having been deleted)
Nice little gift from MTS (Covid related??)
Hope it lasts.
How are you imagining that your hard drive suddenly got bigger?
It's not in the cloud; it's physically installed in your PVR.
If you suddenly have more space, that means each recorded show was compressed more, and that probably means with less detail.

Dave S.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you imagining that your hard drive suddenly got bigger?
It's not in the cloud; it's physically installed in your PVR.
If you suddenly have more space, that means each recorded show was compressed more, and that probably means with less detail.

Dave S.
Thanks for the reply
That's what I was thinking. But could the 100 hours of shows that were already recorded be recompressed? I could see future recordings,
but where did the extra 45 hours of space suddenly come from. I doubt they added cloud storage.
I phoned MTS and the rep I talked to didn't know anything about it, he asked a manager who also didn't know. Suggested some
programs were autodeleted (none were). Then said something (he was hard to understand) about maybe a software update.
I haven't noticed any less detail in recorded programs, either new or old recordings.
I noticed the hardware page at MTS now shows the 150 hrs HD capacity, whereas before it was 100 hrs (or thereabouts)
So my main question is would previous recordings have been effected by a compression change?

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
On Rogers we have what's called "media shrink" in the firmware. This was introduced in about 2014. The recording takes place in the normal manner, however, when the PVR is not active, media shrink will then compress the latest recording(s). It is also able to compress any existing recordings on the PVR. This has nothing to do with the original programme bitrate, but rather something that the PVR's firmware does. I also notice no difference in picture quality.

The latest firmware has affected the calculation of the % space used, cutting it (roughly) in half. Apparently the 9865 is now compressing the incoming signal (to MPEG4?), therefore almost doubling the amount that can be stored on the HDD. Older recordings are also compressed. This compression can be monitored under the "media shrink" section of the diagnostics.

I assume that MTS may have implemented similar firmware. You can usually tell by recording a very long programme, looking at the space available (or utilized) immediately after the recording takes place, or just before the end of the recording, and then look again the next day. After media shrink does its work, there will be more space available, or less space utilized.

·
Super Moderator
16,699 Posts
I noticed MTS has improved picture quality since the early days and I don't think they increased bandwidth, so they have probably upgraded their encoders. I haven't checked bandwidth usage lately.

If the new recordings are more compact and you watch 10 hours of old recordings and record 10 hours of new recordings, you will have more available space.

The only other possibility I can think of is that your PVR wasn't using all the available space. When MTS first started rolling out the VIP2262, they formatted the drives to the same size as the smaller existing PVRs and charged $50 to reformat them to 500 GB. They no longer charge $50, but a reformat will destroy all existing recordings. It's possible they introduced a software update to use an extended partition for new recordings and preserve the existing recordings, but that's just blue-sky guesswork.

The original calculated space was 129 hours HD, but that's just an estimate and can be changed with a sodtware update. Are all your recordings HD? You can probably add up for existing recordings to get a rough approximation of how much space you've used.

Related thread: MTS launched 500 gb whole home pvr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts