Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently with Rogers, but we're using a lot of iTunes rentals, Netflix (used during day for kids content), and we watch most TV shows via the web. We've gone into excess charges the last 3 months now so I'm bailing and going to BellAliant Internet.

I do have a question before I do that however. Do you have to go with their free wireless router, or can you go with a normal modem? I use a Cisco ASA and need the modem to do nothing more than allow the ASA to use a public IP in a similar fashion to the Rogers modem. Is that possible, or is it possible to set the BellAliant modem/router to do this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
bradb,

The answer depends on what internet service you sign up for. Express has one type of modem. Internet Max has another, and FiberOp has yet another. Then there are differences based on what province you are in.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have Bell Aliant FiberOp and you can definitely set it for transparent bridging, and it works great. Public IP straight through to your downstream PC or router.
I use the DMZ+ mode with WAN IP mapping. The modem is the 2Wire 3800HGV-B Gateway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts