Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vacation home in the Muskoka area and have been using the Bell Wireless Home Internet for about a year now. Very happy with the service as the 25Mbs is significantly better than what Viacom or Xplornet could offer.

When I got the system I set up the Hub 2000 as follows:
- all Wi-Fi off
- DDNS is off
- DNS is automatic
- Wan Mode is auto
- DHCP is on
- DMZ is on and I set my Asus router as the only active device

This set up allowed me to remotely get through the Bell Hub 2000 to my Asus router and thereby my various components of my network. This has worked well up until recently!

Recently (2 weeks ago?) I no longer have access to my Asus router! (I use a free No-IP address which I update regularly)

When I try ping the No-IP name or the actual address of the Bell modem / router I get no response!

Internet access when I am on the local network works well but I cannot get in remotely!

I finally got through to a Bell technician this morning... he was able to get into the Bell Hub 2000 config and told me that as far as he was concerned everything was working well! He told me that they do not support trying to do what I am doing and so he couldn't help me with my issue!!

I have rebooted the devices numerous times and changed the ethernet cables.

Any thoughts on why this is no longer working?
Thanks...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a vacation home in the Muskoka area and have been using the Bell Wireless Home Internet for about a year now. Very happy with the service as the 25Mbs is significantly better than what Viacom or Xplornet could offer.

When I got the system I set up the Hub 2000 as follows:
  • all Wi-Fi off
  • DDNS is off
  • DNS is automatic
  • Wan Mode is auto
  • DHCP is on
  • DMZ is on and I set my Asus router as the only active device

Any thoughts on why this is no longer working?
Thanks...
Have you verified all the settings? Remote Access still enabled? Correct port number? HTTPS?
Check if there is a respond-to-ping setting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you verified all the settings? Remote Access still enabled? Correct port number? HTTPS?
Check if there is a respond-to-ping setting.
"Have you verified all the settings?" - There aren't a lot of settings to verify... I set up my Asus router as the only DMZ device on the Bell Hub 2000, which should pass all traffic directly to my Asus router. All other settings within the Hub 2000 are turned off.

"Remote Access still enabled" - What does this mean?

"Correct port number?" - I'm not using ports... My Asus router has an address on the Bell Hub 2000 and I have assigned that address as the only active DMZ

"HTTPS" I have tried that and it doesn't work either.

"Check if there is a respond-to-ping setting" I don't understand this! What does this mean and how does one do this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Bell Wireless Internet and live close to Perth and Carleton Place. The ability to port forward or use the dmz option on the HH2000 stopped working 2-3 months ago for me as well. I wasn't even using the HH2000 in my network setup until recently when experiencing severe bandwidth issues, put it back into my setup so their support staff could see the device and issue speed tests directly form the HH2000. Even when using your own router with the wan interface on vlan 35, you can't ping the ip address or have any kind of port forwarding setup any more. In the course of talking with Bell support on my escalated ticket about the bandwidth issues I also asked about the icmp ping/remote access issue and they did acknowledge that this is the case and were getting some support requests about it. They claimed it was not technically possible after some change they put into place but hopefully would be possible in the future but gave me no timeline. I would suggest that all customers that want this functionality to call and complain. You won't get any information from the first tier of their customer support so will have to escalate it so it starts to percolate up the support chain and so managers and engineers know that this is something their customers want.

I wasn't actually using port forwards for remote access and there are other ways although more complicated ways to still be able to remote in but I was relying on the ability for icmp pings to reach my ip as that is a requirement for using Hurricane Electric's ipv6 tunnel broker service. In my digging into my bandwidth problems I did notice that Bell is actually handing out ipv6 addresses now which is good but they don't appear to do prefix delegation so I can't hand out routable ipv6 address to any of my internal networks which makes me sad. The ipv6 address is not pingable either and I triple checked my firewall settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@netscruff ...

"I wasn't actually using port forwards for remote access and there are other ways although more complicated ways to still be able to remote in"
Can you provide a brief description of how I can do this given that I have no access whatsoever to the remote system?

I am in the process of trying to contact someone in Bell at a senior level (through a major business contact) to understand if there is something that can be done! If they cannot do anything then I will have to change over to someone else!

I have also recently (the last 3 weeks) seen a substantial increase in the number of times that the system goes down, requiring a restart of the either the PoE device or a complete reboot of the system! Are you experiencing this too?

Thanks...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just before the major Bell outage last week and after things were back I have had poor bandwidth (sub 5mbps down/.5mbps up) which has just got much better in the last few days. Technician came to my rural property twice, first time they knew very little and ended up replacing all my equipment, the LTE antenna, HH2000, PoE injector and even replaced the ground tie. On the 2nd visit and after getting two more service calls in my area and all the service calls were using the same tower segment he indicated that the tower/segment I'm on is embargoed and will see upgrades in the next month. Sounds like an overloaded tower or equipment that they are having problems with (he mentioned the manufacturer as Nokia) that they are moving away from. I don't really know for sure but I've been running automated speed tests now every hour and logging the results and seem to only reliably hit 25/1 speeds only at off peak hours.

I've noticed that my ip address changes when the power is lost on the LTE antenna but not when the HH2000 router or your own router is rebooted/power cycled.

Regarding the remote access, I haven't had to manually set this up myself but use a service that I pay a monthly charge for. I connect to a endpoint in the cloud while the device on my network makes an outgoing connection which is how I can access my server remotely. Because I haven't setup something like this manually so I'm not sure how difficult it would be or if you would be able to set up something without incurring some kind of monthly charge since you will have to run a small server/vm somewhere that you will connect to for remote access. See Remote UI for a little information about how this works for the Home Assistant remote UI. Plex Media Server works this way as well without direct access although it's pointless to use for streaming when you only have a 1mbps upload speed. I should be able to access my Ubiquity controller this way as well although I've got remote access turned off at the moment but I recall this working in the past without having to configure port forwards on my firewall. Your Asus router is unlikely to have this type of remote access built in as it costs the manufacturer to have the cloud infrastructure running to make this type of remote access work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello GMD99 - I have the same situation - I just got the Bell wireless internet at my cottage in Muskoka, and I am trying to setup an ASUS router behind it to use as both my wireless router and an OpenVPN server. The latter would allow me to connect to the cottage network to be able to view security cameras, among other services. I also can't ping the modem (Home Hub 2000) from outside my network which is the fundamental problem with getting this set up. I spent a frustrating day (literally hours) on hold with Bell phone support, and everyone I got to had no idea what was going on, and they kept transferring me to equally inept technicians. They tried to tell me this wasn't possible on the wireless service, but I had found this discussion as I was googling around to try to figure this out, so I knew that this had been possible until recently. Have you had any more luck with Bell in getting this sorted out? It is very strange that the modem has an IP address but it can't be pinged - they must have turned off ICMP (or its ability to respond) on this service for some reason - I am hoping we can find a way too get them to turn it back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts