Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have bell wimax for a little over a half year. its a 2mb line and i'd like to share my experience.
bell in home wimax.
it started good the first 2 months with 2mb somtimes even 3mb's
now i'm trying to upload this message with 14kb/s. that's slow for $50/month. i got fed up with these speeds and called tonight. there saying there are over 80 users on the antenna I'm using. there working on more bandwidth.
the delay is tereble. usually it takes 5 sec before a website starts downloading.
this 5sec delay is since the first day.

it's to bad i don't have a alternative north of alliston. i'd switch in a second.
if anyone can help me. would be great.
knowing BELL i din't go with any year term.

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
First off, it's not "Wimax". Bell and Rogers--through Inukshuk--use a proprietary technology from a company called "Nextnet". This technology has been around for some time now, and is not related to Wimax whatsoever.

Secondly, do you have an exterior antenna attached to your service? If not, this could greatly improve your experience.

And lastly, what are the specs of the PC you're using? Sometimes older PC's running strong anti-virus software can experience delays loading webpages.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It sounds like you might be better off with dialup service. Second lines are cheap in some areas and so is dialup. I would demand a reduction in price from Bell. You might also try going through the CRTC, since they regulate rural high speed service and that's not delivering the service that was intended.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It sounds like you might be better off with dialup service. Second lines are cheap in some areas and so is dialup. I would demand a reduction in price from Bell. You might also try going through the CRTC, since they regulate rural high speed service and that's not delivering the service that was intended.
Just wondering since when did the CRTC admit they 'regulate rural high speed service"?
Maybe regulation with the Cell Phones, but the CRTC denies any involvement in the Internet.
And that's the catch 22 that we all face. The CRTC would be great if they regulated 'Speeds' and 'prevented censorship' of our Internet connections(by rich canadian television networks and Rogers DNS hacking).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@jase88, thank you so much!!!!that worked wonders!! the different name "Nextnet" changed everything and the whole point of my story!! sorry for the confusion. I'll call it Nexnet from now on. works way better !!!!
yes, i do have an exterior antenna!
and last computer speed???? what are you? help desk for can openers???
before your going to ask: yes my computer was plugged in, and the monitor was turned on. thanks for your time.
don't bother answering again. wouldn't want to waste any of your time.

@ScaryBob
i know. your right. i used to have a second line. the response time is better with dial up but the overall download speed, wimax is still better. to bad.
since the last message it got better, if it's because it's not Sunday 8pm right now, or because i called bell???? i will see. as soon as there is an alternative I'll switch that's for sure. any one using rogers in home wimax?

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
Hey now, no need to be a jerk about it. I was only trying to help.

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
@ScaryBob: Rural dial up is far worse than even urban dial up. I'm certain Portable Internet would work far better. Even a 3G technology like HSPA or EVDO would be far better than dial-up (providing you can get a decent data plan).

Omniglobe Broadband is a company currently deploying broadband to rural Ontario areas. I'm not sure about Alliston, but it's worth checking out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I thought that Bell called it WiMax, it was called WiMax a few months ago... but now it's not!
If it's loading too slow, MAYBE, using a different web browser would help. I'm just giving a info. I'm NOT convincing you to switch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Look into EVDO...Bell's plans are a bit expensive, but the speed is way better than the portable internet garbage.

I live in Everett, so I've felt your pain before DSL showed up.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I use Bell WiMax (yes, it used to be called that, and I wasn't aware that they changed). I use the outdoor modem, and I am happy with the service. Is it as good as the Rogers cable high speed I used to have when I was in the city? No. But I live out in the country and the only other options are dial up, or Explorcrap. So, I put up with slightly high ping times, and downloading that isn't lightning fast. It is still WAY better than dial up (and I have used their back up dial up for a weekend when the system went down once.

I should note that when I began using the system, I was using IE7, but have since switched to FF. Didn't really notice a difference in speed (but like the lack of crashes!)...

·
Registered
324 Posts
We had huge problems on the Rogers side and when they replaced the modem they went away.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Jass88, it is WiMax as far as I am concerned. Rogers and Bell sharing the infrastructure should mean that if you get one provider, you will also get the other. Shame this does not happen.

I had a Bell WiMax, External Modem for a short while, on an account from down in Toronto, while my buddy stayed with me for a few days. It was difficult getting sufficient signal for it to work. In the end, we had to climb my Tower, around 40' to get 3 lights. Service was just better than Dial Up.

I spoke with Rogers, who would ship me an External Modem to try for 30 days. Took it out of the box and held it outside on the Deck, 5 lights, straight away.

Mounted at about 8' and it has worked fine ever since. About 2 years now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have bell wimax for a little over a half year. its a 2mb line and i'd like to share my experience.
bell in home wimax.
it started good the first 2 months with 2mb somtimes even 3mb's
now i'm trying to upload this message with 14kb/s. that's slow for $50/month. i got fed up with these speeds and called tonight. there saying there are over 80 users on the antenna I'm using. there working on more bandwidth.
the delay is tereble. usually it takes 5 sec before a website starts downloading.
this 5sec delay is since the first day.

it's to bad i don't have a alternative north of alliston. i'd switch in a second.
if anyone can help me. would be great.
knowing BELL i din't go with any year term.
L00k into Rogers Rocket stick.
Network Advantage: 3G - The next generation in wireless technology
3G (HSPA) is the latest evolution of GSM, the dominant world-wide standard for mobile wireless communications. This emerging protocol significantly improves the download speeds on laptops and wireless handheld devices, as well as being an enabler for PDAs including Windows Mobile. This makes the Rogers' network among the fastest in the world, two times faster than any other carrier,* and enabling a user experience that's comparable to broadband wireline services.

*Comparison based on peak download speed of up to 7.2 Mbps for HSPA network as compared to peak download speed of up to 3.1 Mbps for 1xEvdo networks. Actual speed may vary based on various factors.

Canada's Most Reliable Wireless Network
With the clearest reception and the fewest dropped calls, Rogers is Canada's most reliable network.
Canada's Fastest Mobile Network
Browse and download at speeds that are faster than any other carrier.

*Comparison based on peak download speed of up to 7.2 Mbps for HSPA network as compared to peak download speed of up to 3.1 Mbps for 1xEvdo networks. Actual speed may vary based on various factors.

I believe Bell has better coverage for the area you're in it's EVDO 3G with speeds of up to 2.4Mbps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
WiMax Stinks!

We have had Wimax for over a year -- it worked great for about a month. The technician who checked the outdoor antenna told us that we're getting a 'shadow' signal -- apparently the antenna points away from us -- and told us that Bell never should have sold us the system because it would probably never work well. We had removed a second phone line for our dialup, but after a lot of calls to Bell (which usually meant they sent the same guy who told us the same thing -- we were getting to be buddies!) they reinstalled our second line with no installation fee, and gave us a big credit on the Wimax account -- we really haven't paid more than the dialup cost. Of course it doesn't work worth a damn! It took me over nine minutes to register for this site!! Often we don't get on at all and have to rely on the dialup. Apparently the little portable USB thing that Bell is now promoting works well (so I've heard) but that would mean getting one for each of our two computers, and also, since our home office is way inside the house where there's very little cell signal, there's no guarantee that would work here anyway. I'd like to be able to try that USB thing, but I need it to run the wireless so both the computers can pick it up (on one account).

BTW, Rogers ran cable down our road, but stopped before the last three houses -- no idea why. They've told us that we can possilbe have it installed, if we commit to three years of Rogers TV, top end internet and telephone, or pay an additional $3000! I'm quite happy with ExpressVu and I use Yak for the best cheapest home phone, so that Rogers deal isn't happening.

Any info on the USB thing would be appreciated -- this Wimax stinks!!!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I tried the Bell Wimax and could not get a viable signal at all and I thought that was it. Well I got hold of the Rogers External Modem ($250 but you can return it within 30 days if you cannot get it to work for a full refund), imagine my surprise when I get a full 5 lights on the Modem.

These 2 competitors are supposed to be using the same towers etc, obviously they dont.

It has worked almost flawlessly for 2 years now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We're about an hour and a half north of Toronto, near the shore of Lake Simcoe. Apparently the Wimax tower (which is quite close -- close enough to see) is pointing to the south, and we're to the north.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not sure about the '5 lights' thing. The modem that comes with the Wimax is really just a black box that has one light -- and it's on -- and we go from there to the wireless router and that shows just the connection lights. Things flash of course, but it's not clear when it's getting a stronger signal (and sometimes nothing flashes because not a damn thing is coming in!).

Also, we were told that because Bell and Rogers use the same tower, the problem would be the same (this from the technician who was independent of Bell) since the signal is transmitted to the south.

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
@crisco: Rogers builds their networks to precise engineering specs. for example, RF amplification can only cascade so far down a line, before a new RF node must be started.

Going closer to your home would likely have necessitated a great expense--which, for three homes, likely wasn't deemed prudent.

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
@pinza: I wonder if you had a bad modem?

AFAIK, Rogers and Bell do use the same Inukshuk network.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I tried the Bell Wimax and could not get a viable signal at all and I thought that was it. Well I got hold of the Rogers External Modem
Were you using the Bell outdoor modem as well? If you were using the portable, that is comparing apples to oranges...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts